Coffeehouse Thread

97 posts

Should Beer28 be banned

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Consider this a poll, do you want Beer28 banned from C9?  Normally I would say no.  I really do like most people.  But this time he is worse than he ever was before.  he hijacks every thread and turns it into an MS sux, Linux rocks thread.  And he has started the bull now that the DOJ needs to be involved , and starting or fueling "stop Microsoft" threads. 

These are unproductive,  they are a waste of energy not to mention bandwidth.  Everyone says we have to be above everyone else and be tolerant unlike Slashdot.  If I was on a Linux mailing list cheering Windows and talking about how Linus was evil I would have been banned long ago

We can ruffle his feathers and I know he would be back as Orangie or any of his alternate personalities or get his buddy Mario Zucca to hijack msdn.it or windowsvista.af similar to the way he had lincrosoft.it registered as a proverbial spit in Microsofts face.

Cmon now its getting ridiculous.  If he would promise to quit hijacking every thread with his rhetoric I would be the first to say "stay" but he seems unwilling or unable to do so.

• User profile image
    Steve411

So? I still say keep him, you've tried to kick him before and it hasnt worked, it wont this time either.

Stop asking, its annoying and the threads are useless.
    - Steve

• User profile image
    footballism

rjdohnert wrote:

Should Beer28 be banned?

Just let him go his own way

Sheva

• User profile image
    gswitz

Ok with me, but I think we should create a rule around appropriate behavior rather than just starting to arbitrarily kick people out. Additionally, we might wish to give him an chance to adhear to the rule before kicking him out. -- like warning after 10 strictly negative and unuseful posts - kicked out after 15? Something like that... where the group that decides what counts is clearly defined.

• User profile image
    Manip

No. We need someone to play devils advocate... If not beer then who?

I'd prefer the balance to be too far away from Microsoft on a Microsoft site than too favourable because that gives C9 some legitimacy. Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

gswitz wrote:
    Ok with me, but I think we should create a rule around appropriate behavior rather than just starting to arbitrarily kick people out. Additionally, we might wish to give him an chance to adhear to the rule before kicking him out. -- like warning after 10 strictly negative and unuseful posts - kicked out after 15? Something like that... where the group that decides what counts is clearly defined.

I'll fetch my coat...

• User profile image
    Manip

gswitz wrote:
    like warning after 10 strictly negative and unuseful posts - kicked out after 15? Something like that... where the group that decides what counts is clearly defined.

That would result in two users left using the forums, or less.

Anyway not all beers post are useless.

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 etc etc

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I think after the closing stunt in the Paris in Flames thread, it warrants a ban.

• User profile image
    Manip

Tom Servo wrote:
    I think after the closing stunt in the Paris in Flames thread, it warrants a ban.

I just read that and it was SERIOUSLY out of line to say to anyone let alone a mod.

• User profile image
    thxjava

Banned??? Banned??? Chit all we got up here is 3.2

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Manip wrote:
    Tom Servo wrote: I think after the closing stunt in the Paris in Flames thread, it warrants a ban.

I just read that and it was SERIOUSLY out of line to say to anyone let alone a mod.

I concur...If I were british I would be very upset. Let alone a mod...I think it is funny once we start talking about banning Beer28 then someone with a "java derivative" handle comes along and says something.

• User profile image
    JKelley

I'm going to pop my two cents in...  I say no, despite how frustrated I get reading some of his posts.  There will always be people like him around and we have to learn to live with it.  At the end of the day we may feel like this is our community but every visitor here should feel like a guest of the great guys who run this place.  Its their house and their decision when to get rid of someone. 

Beer's technical arguments may frustrate people but playing ignorant should not be a bannable offense.  Now, when legal teams need to start being involved because of what he's said or done...  That becomes another issue, and I'm sure that Charles, Jonathan, and the others all make a daily decision on whether to let certain behaviors continue.

And my last point, just to stick up for the guy...  As funny as it may be sometimes to slam him, people could try to be a little nicer.  The instant put-downs and dismissal only makes the situation worse for all involved.  Maybe if people stop attacking him every time he speaks (even when he's wrong) then the entire level of maturity will be raised.

I know its a hard issue, but that's my opinion.

-Jeremy

• User profile image
    Tensor

Dont ban. It it offends ignore it. Or someone could finally come up with a greasemonkey script to allow you to ignore. Tis been talked about before.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

JKelley wrote:
    all involved.  Maybe if people stop attacking him every time he speaks (even when he's wrong)

As the Paris In Flames thread (and replies above) show, this isn't about him being WRONG, it's about him being an obnoxious irritant that doesn't even try to add any value to a converstaion.

I, however, have already said my piece on the matter.

• User profile image
    gregoryw

Perhaps there should be the ability for each person on Channel 9 to be able configure an ignore list for other people whose posts you just don't want to see. That way it's down to personal preference, and can cater for our varying levels of tolerance.

• User profile image
    j0217995

I would like to see an ignore list moved up the request list for this site.  It would be wonderful Wink

• User profile image
    dahat

With regards to the Paris burning thread... I had the misfortune to see the later stages of the battle between beer and jonathanh as it happend.

Less than a min after jonathanh posted his warning, Beer posted:

Beer28 wrote:
    I don't equate terrorism with civilian riots and protests or whatever, and frankly no matter how bad it gets in paris, I feel good about going at that price.

If only there could be some riots in Tokyo next year around this time in offseason. I want to see that little electronics village, where you can get all sorts of gadgets before they hit the market.

I assume that he quickly saw the warning and changed his last paragraph to:

Beer28 wrote:
    Fine then.

And a moment later to:

Beer28 wrote:
    Fine then. And please continue to abuse your mod powers.

Before jonathanh updated his post warning against this new behavior, only to end with the quote we now all know so well:

Beer28 wrote:
    you're a backwards british retard. and you don't know squat about code. Seriously.

If all of his previous shenanigans wasn't enough, I would sure hope that attacking an admin would be gounds for banishment... Unfortunately it sounds like the core Channel 9 team doesn’t want to ban him.

Feature idea: Rather than an ‘Ignore User’ function, what about an ‘Ignore Thread’ function? For those times a thread is hijacked or you otherwise don’t care about the topic, you could banish it from your view of the most recently replied to threads.

• User profile image
    mot256

Beer28, any comments? Big Smile

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.