Coffeehouse Thread

97 posts

Should Beer28 be banned

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

He's done nothing that requires the banning of his account.

C

• User profile image
    billh

Beer28 wrote:
    Jonathanh maliciously attacked and insulted me several times, and I thought I should return the compliment finally. Regardless of his mod status.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

ScanIAm wrote:
    Good to see you've grown up over the last few months.
    If by "growing up" you mean "learning to meekly take random bullsh*t from pseudonymous posters on a message board and not call them out on it", then no, I'm never going to grow up.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Manip wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote: Seriously, I expect childish unprofessionalism from the unpaid members of the forums, but I guess I wasn't wrong about my 'mod' predictions.

Yeah, I agree, mods on Channel9 should be robots... I mean the fact that these people are human sucks.. They make mistakes and let their emotions dictate their actions...

Whatever.  This entire thread is concerned with 'banning' someone.  I'm going to guess that JonathanH is one of the few people who could actually ban someone and rather than do so, he'd rather mock him. 

And, just in case you missed it, he edited the message TO ADD MORE MOCKERAGE, not remove it. 

I guess modding is a priviledge with no responsibility...

• User profile image
    Charles

Manip wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote: Seriously, I expect childish unprofessionalism from the unpaid members of the forums, but I guess I wasn't wrong about my 'mod' predictions.

Yeah, I agree, mods on Channel9 should be robots... I mean the fact that these people are human sucks.. They make mistakes and let their emotions dictate their actions...

This is a human-centric place. I'd like for us to consider granting mod privleges to more Niners before creating robots. As always, self-moderation is the preferred tactic and it has, for the most part, worked. Consider the number of posts requiring moderation vs those that did not. Speaks volumes to how great this community is.

Keep on posting,
    C

• User profile image
    Cider

Charles wrote:
    He's done nothing that requires the banning of his account.

C

Oh good, so open season on the mods then?  Am I allowed to berate you with a collection of 4-letter swearwords?

Seeing as you are justifying Beer's attacking of Jonathanh...

• User profile image
    jonathanh

ScanIAm wrote:
    Whatever.  This entire thread is concerned with 'banning' someone.  I'm going to guess that JonathanH is one of the few people who could actually ban someone and rather than do so, he'd rather mock him. 

And, just in case you missed it, he edited the message TO ADD MORE MOCKERAGE, not remove it. 

Nope, I have no power to ban anyone. That's strictly limited to the core Channel 9 team.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

The Beer song. Funny.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

jonathanh wrote:
    ScanIAm wrote: Whatever.  This entire thread is concerned with 'banning' someone.  I'm going to guess that JonathanH is one of the few people who could actually ban someone and rather than do so, he'd rather mock him. 

Nope, I have no power to ban anyone. That's strictly limited to the core Channel 9 team.

Then I stand (type) corrected.  By all means, keep provoking the borderline psychotic....

• User profile image
    Manip

Charles wrote:
    Manip wrote:

This is a human-centric place. I'd like for us to consider granting mod privleges to more Niners before creating robots. As always, self-moderation is the preferred tactic and it has, for the most part, worked. Consider the number of posts requiring moderation vs those that did not. Speaks volumes to how great this community is.

Keep on posting,
    C

Wow ... ... It almost scares me that you take my sarcasm seriously... Just how obvious do I have to be with sarcasm for people to get it. I guess you just can't be funny over the 'net.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Today is November 11th. In Belgium, we don't have to go to work today, because it's 'wapenstilstand' (armistice): a national holiday where we commemorate the end of the first world war. I thought this might be a useful fact for this thread.

• User profile image
    androidi

Maurits wrote:
    irascian wrote:
    Michael Griffiths wrote:

I dislike Ignore lists because - although they would be useful for individuals - they would make reading the forums for a new member, or someone not registered, mildly confusing.

I don't understand this. An ignore list would be personal to a user and customisable by that user. Anybody new or not registered would see all the postings. They would only be able to ignore the postings of certain users by adding those users to their "Ignore list" which would be part of their profile.

I think the confusion would arise from conversations like this:

Dramatis Personae: A, B, C

A ignores C.  No other "ignore" entries exist.

A: I like waffles.
    B: I like waffles too.  They're yummy with syrup.
    C: Waffles taste like three-month-old nuclear waste.
    A: I completely agree.

With ignore would come the need for either threaded replies or a one line small note to who are you replying to, this would be possible by adding additional parameter to the reply button which passes the id of the message you are replying to (even when not quoting anyone) and use that to add automatically a line "In reply to Maurits..." to the text editor. If user isn't actually replying to another user then (s)he could remove that line manually.

• User profile image
    Charles

Manip wrote:
    Charles wrote:
    Manip wrote:

Keep on posting,
    C

Wow ... ... It almost scares me that you take my sarcasm seriously... Just how obvious do I have to be with sarcasm for people to get it. I guess you just can't be funny over the 'net.

It's an example of an AI-based response. Sarcasm is an incredibly difficult construct to to understand for robots. Smiley

C

• User profile image
    Karim

ScanIAm wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:

This is the post that sent Beer over the top last time:

AndyC wrote:

Beer28 wrote: Today I can't even work on it because I have to finish a larger project.

Exactly, the army of giant atomic monsters is more important. Spyware can wait.

No no no, you've got it all wrong. FIRST it's suing Dell out of existence. THEN it's earning one MILLION dollars from his Linux security consultancy, based on his l33t hack of SELinux. THEN it's the army of giant atomic monsters.

The malware millions come fourth.  Or fifth, if his mom makes him clean his room first.

Edit: I'm guessing the followup didn't help either

Seriously, I expect childish unprofessionalism from the unpaid members of the forums, but I guess I wasn't wrong about my 'mod' predictions.

LOL I must have missed that thread, thank you for the laugh...

I didn't see Jonathan's text in red, so I assume he was posting as a "human being."  He's allowed to do that, isn't he?

I read it this way:

Beer28 = childish unprofessionalism.

jonathanh = F--KING HILARIOUS.

• User profile image
    Maurits

androidi wrote:

With ignore would come the need for either threaded replies or a one line small note to who are you replying to, this would be possible by adding additional parameter to the reply button which passes the id of the message you are replying to (even when not quoting anyone) and use that to add automatically a line "In reply to Maurits..." to the text editor. If user isn't actually replying to another user then (s)he could remove that line manually.

Hmmm... perhaps this can be finessed in the implementation...

If A sees the following:

A: I like waffles
    B: I like waffles too.  They're yummy with syrup
    C: [ you are ignoring C's posts ]

then A would be aware of C's reply.  If that is the case, A would be more likely to say something like:

A: I completely agree, B.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I just want to personally thank Mr. Beer for taking a whiz all over my French rioting thread (aka "Paris in Flames").  I don't understand the moderation on this board, especially when the thread ends with someone being called a "British retard". 

Perhaps it shows a lack of discretion on the part of both Mr. Beer and the operators of this site themselves.  Or, as they are referred to above the "Core 9 Team".  At what point does Mr. Scoble realize these verbal attacks solve nothing? At what point does Mr. Torre realize that the banning of a user such as Orbit86 (which came quickly), is in sharp contrast to a user such as Mr. Beer, who is allowed to go on and on and on? Does somebody need to root through the Channel 9 search engine and accumulate evidence of his abuses?

If being a moderator only leads to the ability to "lock threads", it is pretty useless in the case of Mr. Beer.  For others, they grasp the lesson of having their threads "locked".

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Karim wrote:
    I didn't see Jonathan's text in red, so I assume he was posting as a "human being."  He's allowed to do that, isn't he?
    It was actually before I was a mod at all.

• User profile image
    Charles

Thanks for being such a great mod, Jonathan.
    C

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.