Coffeehouse Thread

97 posts

Should Beer28 be banned

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

I just want to personally thank Mr. Beer for taking a whiz all over my French rioting thread (aka "Paris in Flames").  I don't understand the moderation on this board, especially when the thread ends with someone being called a "British retard". 

Perhaps it shows a lack of discretion on the part of both Mr. Beer and the operators of this site themselves.  Or, as they are referred to above the "Core 9 Team".  At what point does Mr. Scoble realize these verbal attacks solve nothing? At what point does Mr. Torre realize that the banning of a user such as Orbit86 (which came quickly), is in sharp contrast to a user such as Mr. Beer, who is allowed to go on and on and on? Does somebody need to root through the Channel 9 search engine and accumulate evidence of his abuses?

If being a moderator only leads to the ability to "lock threads", it is pretty useless in the case of Mr. Beer.  For others, they grasp the lesson of having their threads "locked".

Orbit86 was banned for attacking users. Beer 28, as opinionated and sophomoric as he seems to be, does not attack Niners. I don't agree with much of what he says. Does this mean I should ban him? Of course not. It would be nice to see less hi-jacked threads. It's just that this type of behavior does not require banning.

Attacking users, posting offensive material, threatening users, these will always get you banned.

We do not like to ban Niners.

C

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Charles wrote:
    Orbit86 was banned for attacking users. Beer 28, as opinionated and sophomoric as he seems to be, does not attack Niners.

Absolutely amazing.

How many threads do you actually read here? Do you only appear when someone e-mails you? Do you need someone to compile a list of the times when he did insult someone? I'm sure the community would readily respond with a list of threads/posts where this has happened. If railroading/hijacking threads into the ground does not count for anything, I cannot imagine what is going to happen if more people start pursuing this avenue. 

Are you giving the users here a green light then to hijack threads? Just so long as we don't insult anybody?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Charles, JonathanH, anyone else with a clue:

You aren't getting the point here.  If your goal is to tone down the Beer comments, taunting him isn't going to cause that to happen.  Given how often the 'banning of beer' has been brought up, it's obviously a problem.  It's a problem that quite a number of posters have brought up.

Over and over and frikken over again.

Fine, you aren't going to ban him.  Could you maybe, possibly, pretty-please, quit taunting him while you're at it?  You're only making it worse.

Because, if you won't, then tell the 'Wah, wah, my Paris Thread was ruined' guy to simply deal with it...you don't care.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Charles wrote: Orbit86 was banned for attacking users. Beer 28, as opinionated and sophomoric as he seems to be, does not attack Niners.

Absolutely amazing.

How many threads do you actually read here? Do you only appear when someone e-mails you? Do you need someone to compile a list of the times when he did insult someone? I'm sure the community would readily respond with a list of threads/posts where this has happened. If railroading/hijacking threads into the ground does not count for anything, I cannot imagine what is going to happen if more people start pursuing this avenue. 

Are you giving the users here a green light then to hijack threads? Just so long as we don't insult anybody?

No one emailed me, I just showed up here all by myself.

That said, it does help to get some email once in a while, particularly when you see something that you think should be fixed. Documentation does help in decision making. And knowing about it does help too!

That said, I like a diverse forum that discusses diverse ideas. If we ban Beer, what will that bring us? Is that better than what we have?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

scobleizer wrote:
    Charles wrote: Orbit86 was banned for attacking users. Beer 28, as opinionated and sophomoric as he seems to be, does not attack Niners.

Absolutely amazing.

No one emailed me, I just showed up here all by myself.

That said, it does help to get some email once in a while, particularly when you see something that you think should be fixed. Documentation does help in decision making. And knowing about it does help too!

That said, I like a diverse forum that discusses diverse ideas. If we ban Beer, what will that bring us? Is that better than what we have?

How would anybody know?  I'm against it myself, but you've (C9 collectively) been chanting that mantra for close to 2 years now.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Beer28 wrote:
    Paris being in flames had the side effect of driving down airfare from North America to France. I know because i got round trip non stop tickets for $339 a person.

That is relevant.

As soon as I saw there was trouble, I looked up travelocity because I was hoping that the fares would be very cheap. Riots happen everywhere. They happened right here in this city at the G8 summit 2 or 3 years ago.

This wasn't a terrorist event, and I don't feel bad getting low fares because of it.

Riots are public manifestations of discontent, and there's not all that much wrong with it.

EDIT:
    Wasn't the storming of the bastille, in effect a Parisian riot?
    Was that all bad?
    I feel safe going to paris, in the middle of a riot. Yes.

Considering that the last thing Canada revolted against was speaking french, I'm not going to buy your BS.

• User profile image
    Karim

Beer28 wrote:
    If it weren't for riots and public manifestations, sometimes people don't get heard. When it gets to the point of a riot, it's a dire situation. I don't mind the riot atmosphere as much as most people would.

Of course you don't mind.  You're a riot instigator, which is why there are multiple threads asking whether you should be banned.

• User profile image
    Manip

Karim wrote:
    Beer28 wrote: If it weren't for riots and public manifestations, sometimes people don't get heard. When it gets to the point of a riot, it's a dire situation. I don't mind the riot atmosphere as much as most people would.

Of course you don't mind.  You're a riot instigator, which is why there are multiple threads asking whether you should be banned.

Then what would that make you, a tool?

• User profile image
    Charles

Absolutely amazing.

I read as many threads as possible, spend much more time here than most people, we are not banning Beer28.

Beer, will you please stop hi-jacking threads? Please keep comments relevant to thread context. Thanks

C

• User profile image
    jamie

speaking of riots you can almost feel the forum about to burst into "flames"

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Karim

Manip wrote:
    Karim wrote:
    Beer28 wrote: If it weren't for riots and public manifestations, sometimes people don't get heard. When it gets to the point of a riot, it's a dire situation. I don't mind the riot atmosphere as much as most people would.

Then what would that make you, a tool?

Well I thought it made me someone who didn't like riot instigators.  But feel free to form your own opinion.  <rolleyes>

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Charles wrote:
    I read as many threads as possible, spend much more time here than most people, we are not banning Beer28.

Beer, will you please stop hi-jacking threads? Please keep comments relevant to thread context. Thanks

Beer28 wrote:
    Paris being in flames had the side effect of driving down airfare from North America to France. I know because i got round trip non stop tickets for $339 a person.

That is relevant.

Side by side, these comments are quite telling. According to Mr. Beer's logic, everything he says is relevant.  So, let me get this straight, if a user comes in here, does not insult people, but comes up with creative, RELEVANT ways to completely hijack a thread, it is acceptable?

I'm gathering that the Core Team of Channel9 does not have the discernment to pick up on Mr. Beer's clever, yet relentless, attempts to frustrate the mass majority of viewers here.

• User profile image
    Karim

Beer28 wrote:

I do not agree that riots are such a terrible thing. The original poster does not.

Well, there's a slight difference between that and:

Beer28 wrote:

~ $350US round trip non-stop baby. Burn baby burn.....

I wish rioters could burn every city down this year, we'd turn into vagabond globetrotters.

• User profile image
    Karim

Side by side, these comments are quite telling. According to Mr. Beer's logic, everything he says is relevant.  So, let me get this straight, if a user comes in here, does not insult people, but comes up with creative, RELEVANT ways to completely hijack a thread, it is acceptable?

I'm gathering that the Core Team of Channel9 does not have the discernment to pick up on Mr. Beer's clever, yet relentless, attempts to frustrate the mass majority of viewers here.

Unfortunately I think I'd have to agree with you.

In biological systems, there are infectious agents that are fatal (e.g. Ebola) and those that are not (tapeworm, rhinovirus).  The Channel 9 immune system seems to only pick up fatal infectious agents, and not those that just suck the life out of the place.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Beer28 wrote:
    EDIT: In a post that Jonathanh deleted, I additionally commented, that I would love to see that electronics village with all the new gadgets in Tokyo. I would not hesitate to go in a heartbeat should I get direct non stop round trip tickets due to a riot, nor would being in the midst of it bother me too much.

Would you help break the windows of the shops, too? I'm amazed Charles has such leniency with you, considering that someone that insults a Niner should be banned.

Following that logic, since JonathanH was called a "British retard", and since JonathanH is a Niner, doesn't that qualify as grounds for banning? Or is it okay to hurl insults at the MS employees now? And is JonathanH not considered a real "Niner"? Perplexed

• User profile image
    dahat

Beer28 wrote:
    EDIT: In a post that Jonathanh deleted, I additionally commented, that I would love to see that electronics village with all the new gadgets in Tokyo. I would not hesitate to go in a heartbeat should I get direct non stop round trip tickets due to a riot, nor would being in the midst of it bother me too much.

Actually, you said and I quote:

Beer28 wrote:
    If only there could be some riots in Tokyo next year around this time in offseason. I want to see that little electronics village, where you can get all sorts of gadgets before they hit the market.

Sure sounds like you were advocating more violence to me.

• User profile image
    Karim

Beer28 wrote:
    Karim, yes, I was overjoyed because of the discounts. In retrospect, I probably should have toned it down a little.

Maybe you should apologize to the thread creator.  Are you capable of doing that?  Are you capable of admitting you made a mistake and you're sorry?

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Maurits wrote:

C: [ you are ignoring C's posts ]

No, you aren't. Why? Because C's tripe is ultimately going to show up as quote everywhere all over the thread.

Anyway, since Beer can get away with his crap, I guess I'll be poking him with the fun stick whenever possible.

--edit: By the way, when did this thread turn into a continuation of the locked Paris thread? Shut the hell up already, Beer14!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.