Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

How about spending the weekend with Express?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • The Channel 9 Team

Have you tried out the Express Editions yet? Developed an app that will win the "Summer of Express" contest yet? Here's a few videos to get you motivated this weekend to try out the Express Edition and get started. For more, visit Channel 9's Summer of Express Developer Center.

Rajesh George - Three new features in SQL Server Express.

Brian Goldfarb - Working with data in the Web Developer Express Edition.

Brian Keller - First things to try with J# Express.

Daniel Fernandez - What's cool in C# Express.

• srinivas

Who uses Microsoft SQL Server Express. MySQL is much better.

• Kaelan

MySQL is a hobbyist database. MSSQL is designed for much higher-level abstractions and more complex databases, along with more complex querying and things like stored procedures.

• JamesC

Don't get the MySQL crowd going on their production-readiness Smiley.  My problem with the Db is the lack of integration with VS.  The development experience with MS SQL is much more pleasant from the standpoint of a WinForms guy.

I've enjoyed the time spent with express so far, but I'm really waiting for the SQL Express GUI to be released to get serious about it.

• Xiaoth

I agree with Kaelan. MySQL is an isolated DB. SQL Server 2000 was sort of an isolated DB, too. But v2005 is not. With integration of C#/VB.NET objects directly in the database, this RDBMS is the largest step ever toward a high-end, commercial quality OOP-oriented database while still maintaining its relational database roots.

• Gambit

Back to the original(few week old topic) I'm about to test out what Express can do. I've had it installed for a while and I'm going to see how I can improve the designs of a few utility apps(network music player, web image downloader, and some others) I have written. I also want to see how much I can use Generics in my Basketball game.

• Charles

Gambit wrote:
    I also want to see how much I can use Generics in my Basketball game.

Fantastic. Use Generics liberally where appropriate. You'll be happy with the results.

Charles

• Gambit

Charles wrote:
    Fantastic. Use Generics liberally where appropriate. You'll be happy with the results.

Charles

I've already noticed a difference. I've gone through a few files and have changed  my ArrayLists to either Lists, Queues, or StringCollections(Something I think is pretty usefull and didn't know was in 1.1).

One thing, how efficient are Lists as compared to LinkLists or ArrayLists? I think I remember Anders saying the overhead when using ArrayLists was virtually gone when using the Generics collections(I could be wrong on that)

• Blue​Firehawk02

They can have my copy of Whidbey when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Can ya tell I'm loving Generics?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.