Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Does Anybody Have Any Idea when Halo 2 Is going to be released?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    machocomacho

I have been waiting forever, and this game has has been in development for 3+ years, the bungie site gives no help and I thought that a Microsoft Developers forum would have some idea of what is going on. Any hints are accepted, I think most of us want to know.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I heard it's later this year, but I don't know for sure.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I learn more about official XBox stuff from external sources than I do from internal ones.

Those XBox guys are tight lipped!

• User profile image
    dalangalma

It's done when Bungie says it's done. I'm pretty sure they don't take too much guff from anyone else.

• User profile image
    jcarlisle

I picked up UT2004 while I'm waiting for Halo 2 and I love it.

• User profile image
    vanlandw

yeah...i heard the beginning of the summer...then I've heard the beginning of fall...so i guess it's anybody's guess now..i'm sure it will be out before christmas though.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I actually hope they let it slip until XBox 2. Otherwise I'm not really sure what the team will do to get the adoption that Halo allowed. I can't think of any other game in history that got it's own edition of a console (could be wrong though), for instance.

I'm a huge Halo fan, but I also want to enjoy this amazing game with the graphic power it deserves. XNA is awesome, some of the developer previews for the anticipated power of the XBox 2 knocked my socks off (look totally pre-rendered).

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, if they can't come up with a Halo-esque game for XBox 2 I'd rather Halo 2 wait.

• User profile image
    dalangalma

Any previous release dates you may have heard, even from Ballmer, were fabricated. Bungie has annouced recently that they plan to ship in Fall 2004. That is the first time they have ever said anything about the release date.

Check it out here:

http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=site%2F0%2Fnews%2Fnews_detail.html&news_search=1&search_keywords=+Halo+2%3A+In+Reach+of+Fall&search_poster=&search_lastxdays=&poststodisplay=20&submit=Search+%3E

• User profile image
    bshankle

Halo2 better make use of the expensive HDTV I bought to enjoy XBox on...and no 480p doesn't count!

I want a full-fledged 1080i rendition of Halo2 with HiRes textures on my TV. SO PLEASE JUST LET IT SLIP UNTIL XBOX2 is out if that's what it take! l

....like Bungie reads any of this....lol

• User profile image
    eagle

Halo2 will be enabled for XBOX Live! They are now saying it will be out in September. I have been reading the MS Marketing blogs, God help us, they haven't a clue!

http://johnporcaro.typepad.com/blog/2004/03/worldwide_marke.html#comments

The XBOX enjoyed initial success not as a result of effective Marketing but because of one game, Halo. XBOX Live is still a concept waiting for a killer app to arrive, Halo 2 was to launch in March, it should have been out last November. The XBOX initiative has lost billions at the same time MSFT stock has languished, it’s time you guys stop patting each other on the back and start kicking butts and taking names.

http://www.bungie.com/

My gamertag on XBOX Live is: condor

Birds of pray are superior to bipeds!

• User profile image
    dalangalma

Eagle - maybe you haven't been listening - nobody at Bungie ever said anything about it being out in March or November. This fall is the only date they've ever mentioned. Everything else is clueless marketing people who haven't even talked to Bungie.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

John Pocaro has some more Halo 2 news (or non-news?), and a direct quote from Bungie:
    So remember last year when we told you we don't announce release dates until we're confident we'll meet our deadline? Well now were confident. Halo 2 will ship in Fall, 2004. Please make a note of it.

• User profile image
    eagle

John posted that TODAY, read his blog he had other plans for his weekend (score 1 for channel9).

Back in 1/04 it was to be a March launch.

I said it SHOULD have been out last November!

For the sake of Christmas sales, to help boost XBOX Live! Someone at MS Marketing should have asked Bungee "what ever you need to complete this project you got it!" Just blame Bungee, but it all comes down to developers, Microsoft's got an army of developers!
    Or maybe it's money...

• User profile image
    Sabot

Halo 2 or Half Life 2?

Would you put a bet on?

Nope, nor would I!

Sorry Master-Chief, I'm waiting for Gordon.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

eagle wrote:
    John posted that TODAY, read his blog he had other plans for his weekend (score 1 for channel9).

Back in 1/04 it was to be a March launch.

I said it SHOULD have been out last November!

Actually, back in 1/04 John had the same Bungee quote that it was going to be a fall launch: http://johnporcaro.typepad.com/blog/2004/01/index.html

And while it would be great if something could be out just because we all say it should be, sadly the world doesn't work that way...

• User profile image
    eagle

Friday, January 30, 2004 "Actually"

Tell us how much money the XBOX has lost in the past year? "Actually".

• User profile image
    jonathanh

eagle wrote:
    Friday, January 30, 2004 "Actually"

Indeed - but based on that blog entry it doesn't seem like John Porcaro is the source of your March 2004 claim.  Isn't it unfair to be blaming him for this with no evidence?

eagle wrote:
    Tell us how much money the XBOX has lost in the past year? "Actually".

Eheheheh.  Now that knowledge would be bound by strict Microsoft confidentiality, if I was on XBox Marketing and knew it in the first place Smiley

Sabot, are you really rooting for Gordon?  The Master-Chief always struck me as more of a winner than Gordon, who basically just wants to get out alive...

• User profile image
    johnporcaro

Tell you what.  The day we go public with a date, I'll announce it on my blog.   JonathanH is right, it wasn't leaked by me (I did know that our internal-planned date was going to slip, and that Bungee was going to talk about it publicly.  That's why I linked to their site).  In the meantime, I guarantee that we'll all be glad we waited, some of the stuff they're working on is very, very cool. 

And yes, Paul, you can score one for Channel 9 (I was logged in this morning at about 7AM, darn woodpecker woke me up again). 

BTW, lots of financial information, including details of the Home & Entertainment Division can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/msft.  In fact, John Connors just gave a talk about when we plan to be profitable with Xbox (hint: it ain't anytime soon).  Most analysts and investors understand why having a console in the family room and a strong consumer products strategy is important to Microsoft's future, and why it's a good investment. 

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.