Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Placement, worth even applying?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

    Microsoft UK does University placements. According to the site they receive 1,000 applications per year, and optimistically assuming there are 20 places that is a 1 in 50 chance of any particular person getting a position.

    Frankly my academic record is poor; both University and college aren't great. At best you could describe my grades as lower-central. However I do have some interesting outside projects under my belt and am enthusiastic about Microsoft...

    Do you guys consider it even worth applying? Not because I would fall over on the telephone interview or on the face-to-face interview but because my application will be filtered out just on the basis of grades.

    Another question; with my poor grades and such is it even worth while me applying for a placement at all for next year? The few positions I've seen are looking for top 10% candidates.

    At least after I finish the degree the stuff before University won't trail behind me as much (Who cares what maths grade you got when you have a degree in Computer Science?).

    I'm really not trying to be self-defeating, just realistic. If I was looking at my application I too would scoff and throw it in the trash.

    Thoughts/Opinions/Making fun of me?

  • User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

    To be fair mate, after a few years of employment after university, even
    your university grade is not really THAT important, more relevant is
    your work experience.

    University is just another step in the wide world.

    As regards Microsoft, I dont really know. I managed to get a role in
    programming within 6months of graduating with a 2:2 and I didnt do any
    gap year or have any relevant work experience.

    Luckily I found a company with a 2 year graduate programme an have been with
    the same company since completing the graduate programme (2 years ago).

    ...just some thoughts....

  • User profile image
    irascian

    What have you got to lose? It sounds like you're not expecting to get a placement anyway so why not apply anyway and remember ALL experience is good experience - even if it's that of a failed application.

    Really, it sounds like a win-win situation whatever happens. It's if you're betting everything on getting a placement that it becomes a win-lose situation.

    You WILL need to come across as passionate and enthusiastic though, even if you're a "glass half empty" person (which, as a "glass half empty" person myself, I regard as an advantage in many situations in the real world where far too many projects are a disaster because of an unbelievable amount of hype and over-optimism).

  • User profile image
    footballism

    irascian wrote:

    Really, it sounds like a win-win situation whatever happens. It's if you're betting everything on getting a placement that it becomes a win-lose situation.

    Wise man with wise words, you really teach me something important, thanks.

    Sheva

  • User profile image
    Andrew Webber FX

    I always attribute getting my placement at microsoft last year to my application form oozing passion. Whatever position one holds in Microsoft, passion and commitment to never give up are common attributes.

    If you want some advice, mention your admiration and aspiration for people like Box, Purdy and Anderson but most of all these days placements are occupied by people going beyond the call of duty at uni; societies, extra work expirence no mater how small just giving the overall image of again passion. After all what is it? Microsoft's Passion 'our' potential...Wink

    The very fact that you are on channel nine is a BIG start ahead of most applicants trust me and that will get you past at least the first round.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Andrew Webber FX wrote:
    I always attribute getting my placement at microsoft last year to my application form oozing passion. Whatever position one holds in Microsoft, passion and commitment to never give up are common attributes.


    Yea, but oozing might put people off in an interview ...

  • User profile image
    lukes

    theres never halm in applying for a roll. If you never apply for something that you dont think you will be good at then you will never be challenged, as you would if you got that position.

    I applied for the summer internship in the states for microsoft (open to microsoft student partners and interns) not expecting my cv to be looked at but I still go through to the final round of interviews. As a result I learnt alot even though I wasnt selected.

    You have nothing to lose if you apply for a job, but lots to potentially lose if you don't. Thats my way of thinking

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Heh, come to think of it last September I was sitting in UK reception as a bunch of placements were coming in. 90% of them were in suits. And trying to out geek each other, boasting about what they did on Linux or what coding skills they had.

    I was sitting there. Sniggering.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    blowdart wrote:
    Heh, come to think of it last September I was sitting in UK reception as a bunch of placements were coming in. 90% of them were in suits. And trying to out geek each other, boasting about what they did on Linux or what coding skills they had.

    I was sitting there. Sniggering.



    What should they have been doing blowdart?

  • User profile image
    stephbu

    Manip wrote:
    blowdart wrote: Heh, come to think of it last September I was sitting in UK reception as a bunch of placements were coming in. 90% of them were in suits. And trying to out geek each other, boasting about what they did on Linux or what coding skills they had.

    I was sitting there. Sniggering.



    What should they have been doing blowdart?


    Ahhh - the memories of the heydays of the dotcom boom - and Blowdart's first interview Wink

  • User profile image
    Charles

    You should always go for the things you want. You to have to really want them, though. Indecision is often the hardest part of making a decision.

    If you walk into an interview wearing Indecision on your sleave, you don't stand a chance.

    C

  • User profile image
    Manip

    OK, thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to just go ahead and send one in.... The worst that could happen is I hear nothing, so what have I got to loose?

  • User profile image
    stephbu

    Manip wrote:
    OK, thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to just go ahead and send one in.... The worst that could happen is I hear nothing, so what have I got to loose?


    Say you go in positive, they offer you a job, you like it and get rewarded to do stuff that you'd otherwise do as a hobby, then spend much of your working career there.  Sounds pretty bad eh?

    Personally I don't have a degree, but I had some knowledge, methodical/logical & confident approach, it worked for me.  Go for it.  Good Luck!

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    Apply. For my Uni placement I ended up at the Royal & Sun Alliance on there graduate training programme for a year. 40 people did the initial tests at my uni alone. I dont know how many unis they went round. 2 of us got interviews. I then got on to the 2 day recruitment event they ran at there own hotel in the wilds of the wirral, along with graduate programme candidates. I got on - the only placement student that year - so it can work!

    In the end they offered me a chance to go back when I finished uni but I decided on other challenges and against living in Liverpool. Often wondered what would have happened if I had gone back!

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    stephbu wrote:

    Ahhh - the memories of the heydays of the dotcom boom - and Blowdart's first interview


    Yea, what does that say about the people who hired me, and kept in contact during the following years? Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    Tensor wrote:
    Apply. For my Uni placement I ended up at the Royal & Sun Alliance on there graduate training programme for a year. 40 people did the initial tests at my uni alone. I dont know how many unis they went round. 2 of us got interviews. I then got on to the 2 day recruitment event they ran at there own hotel in the wilds of the wirral, along with graduate programme candidates. I got on - the only placement student that year - so it can work!

    In the end they offered me a chance to go back when I finished uni but I decided on other challenges and against living in Liverpool. Often wondered what would have happened if I had gone back!


    You should write a book Perplexed

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    I should. I interview well. So far its seven interviews, seven job offers (two of which I turned down). Unfortunatley I have no idea how I do it Perplexed

  • User profile image
    Tommy Lee

    Manip - do it!  As a Microsoft employee, I did not have the 4.0 out of 4.0 grade average at University or a ton of computer experience before getting into the business; but I did have passion which Microsoft really appreciates.  If you want something, always go for it.  The only time that you don't want to do it is if you are just spamming interviews just to get in the door (typically this is a bad thing since the person doesn't want the job you are interviewing them for, but they just want to get the foot in to get into something else).

    When I interview folks, I usually value passion (tempered with reality) over a grade point average.

    So if you really want it, go for it!  Good luck!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.