52 posts

What's RIGHT about Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

The reason Microsoft has these forums is so they can find out what is wrong about what they are currently doing and make their products even better than they already are.

I think we need the negitivity in here until these issues are resolved, then we won't have anything but positive things here.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Microsoft is going in the right direction with their inductive user interfaces, increasingly more efficent software and additional features that enable users to do things that previously required 3rd party software which kept some people from using them.

Edit: By the way, Trustworthy computing and putting security as before everything else is also good.

• User profile image
    Manip

I don't think being negative is the right way to go. We can complain, but if all we do is complain and not discuss then firstly they might have well make a form 'Insert Complaint'. I think this is about understanding not about us telling them or them telling us so much. If you think they are here to read your problems then I think you need to re-consider your participation or at least your attitude.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Sprezzatura

What do you think about .Net ? Well I'm glad you asked.
    I come to you from the stone age.

We started selling Windows apps to consumers in 1995.
    Our products ran on Windows 3.1, 95, 98, etc. Here's a flash: there's still a whole lot of Win'98 out there. We need to remain compatible with our customers in order to stay in business.

We have 500K+ lines of Win SDK and MFC code that still sells well.

We've been hearing nothing but .NET for the past few years. Problem is, how do you deploy a .NET application within the consumer community? I hear there's a 17MB upgrade to install .NET on Win'98. And afterwards, sometimes the system doesn't boot.

How is the customer going to download this over a modem? All this for our $29 product? I don't think so.

Can someone point me to a company that is selling a .NET application to consumers that runs on Win'98? Thank you.

• User profile image
    JParrish

No offense but I think you are hearing about .NET because .NET is the future, and so is broadband (so the modem argument doesn't go far imho). You can think inside a box if you want, and some have to, I understand there are constraints applied by your customers, but honestly did you get involved in technology because you thought it was something that wouldn't change? If you wonder whether .NET mangles a win98 box upon installing the framework.. why is it that you haven't done this for your self yet? Not trying to vent, but MS has caught so much flack over the years for trying to be backwards compatible to the nth degree. I for one was happy to see them cutting lose some of the dead weight.

• User profile image
    JParrish

To the original post about what is "right". I think that placing emphasis on open standards is right for everyone. I also understand that at times innovation requires deviating from said standards but that should be done with great care and an open mind to incorporate such innovations back into the pool of knowledge that has helped to drive technology so far. Vendor lock in is bad news for everyone, and I am glad that my current development language C#, as well as the MSIL/CLR specifications are ECMA and ISO standards.. it really means a lot to me to have a company to take those steps.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    MrLyle

Just because were on a M$ forum, doesn't mean we have to kiss thier * every two minutes.

MrLyle,
    Running KDE on Slackware 9.1

• User profile image
    Ich

My Windows 2000 I'm running doesn't crash nearly as much as WinME did.       

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    Reinier_XNA

What’s right about Microsoft is not how they focus on products but how they focus on people.

Microsoft doesn’t think about “how much” they’re going to make on "X" or "Y" product but how many solutions they can deliver to its customers and its employees; in the end this makes life easier for everybody involved in the process. By having people sharing a common vision they can set apart from any other company in the industry, this is where Microsoft strength resides; they trust their people and they trust their partners and with a source so diverse and rich in ideas they are meant to be the leaders for many years to come.

How all this translate into benefits for people inside and outside Microsoft can only be describe by one word: opportunity.

Opportunity:

To create,

To improve,

To innovate,

To share knowledge and ideas, in the end is the opportunity to make our lives and the lives of the generations to come even better.

Once I was given the opportunity to start all over and make things different, that opportunity came in form a foundation that helped my family to pay for a medical treatment when I was 11y.o. I clearly remember a doctor coming to my bed sitting by my side and said:

“- You know… in this world there are two types of people, the ones who cares and the ones who doesn’t.

- You’re lucky, because there are people who care about you and I want you to remember this: if somebody does something good for you the lees you can do to payback is to do the same for somebody else.

- I was told few minutes ago a foundation backed up by Microsoft is taking care of your medical expenses. Few people in this world will do something that nice for somebody they don’t know. This is a once in you life chance (opportunity) now is up to you to get better and do the same (help) for somebody else…”

Since that day everything was different for me; I never thought such a big company could have such humanitarian sense for their community, now days Microsoft presence is almost everywhere but few people stop for a second to think about Microsoft not as mammoth but as company formed by many individuals. People who think, feel and love… people just like you and me, that’s the real Microsoft, people taking care of people.

Thanks Bill and Paul for making your dream come true, thank you Microsoft people for keeping the dream alive.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Reinier_XNA

Prodev wrote:
    Wow, that's very cool. Thank you for sharing that with us. I think that you may be right, people are a core focus of Microsoft.

I re-iterate, "The world needs more Microsofts."

Thanks for your post,

Jamie

yeap... we need more "microsofties" around. Big Smile

Microsoft's current corporate advertising campaign is one of the best I'd never seen and it really reflects the company’s commitment with the industry and the community.

Our mission is not just to unlock the potential of today's new technologies. It is to help unleash the potential in every person, family, and business. We want to help you do the things you do every day—express your ideas, manage your finances, build your business—faster, easier, and better. At Microsoft, we see the world not as it is, but as it might someday become.

Your Potential. Our Passion.™

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ads/tv.asp

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    zferraro

...The millions of dollars being spent on risk research programs. Another is a table filesystem. Another is the DLL system (I love the idea), and now another thing is fixing it. My only wish is a new UI. WIMP and the command line shouldn't be the only things out there.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.