Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Date formate on Channel 9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    bishfish

A word in the ear of Ch 9 web designers.....

I suppose Channel 9 expects to get an international quotient to it's audience, so why do you persist with what is a USA-only numeric date format mmddyy when virtually the whole of the rest of the world uses ddmmyy.

What is this date 7/5/04? - USA july 5, to the rest of us May 7. It is all so easy to fix just use alpha numeric for all dates on web-sites. Get with the program here guys.

• User profile image
    eagle

The server is in Seattle,  when visiting another place you should respect their ways and customs.

• User profile image
    bishfish

Nonsense - I asume the sites primary objective is to provide a platform for discussion, advice, information, and, and, - part of that is not based on today but looking back at yesterdays news advice etc. and that is where the date problem really rears its ugly head.

I stand by my comments and in this day and age insularity of the type you espouse is not warranted.

• User profile image
    Simo

eagle wrote:
    The server is in Seattle,  when visiting another place you should respect their ways and customs.

Absolute rubbish.

When I get on a plane, land in Seattle and walk up and down your sidewalks. I'll respect your ways and customs.

You publish a page on the internet I expect the world to be able to cope with it, and for a professional site I expect the developer to show a bit of courtesy and utilise any localisation functionality they have to hand.

I see some dates on the C9 site have three letters for month format.

Maybe this is a job for FxCop.....

• User profile image
    SiR_CharLZ

Maybe you should stick a legend or key on your monitor so you can decipher the date?  ;-]

• User profile image
    eagle

I suppose next you’ll be demanding the channel9 time be set to GMT.

• User profile image
    Simo

eagle wrote:

I suppose next you’ll be demanding the channel9 time be set to GMT.

Actually eagle, the time's are formatted

appropriately for each user. The time of your post appears to me as 12:41 PM.

• User profile image
    Jaz

i'm sure it'd be pretty easy for charles and crew to add a css or something file to the registration file so that it changes dates according to where in the world, for UK users and most people living outside of the USA it would be DD/MM/YY(YY), for those working in america or using the MM/DD/YY(YY) illogicality then it would do that.

as far as i see it does show times as gmt when i'm logged in as Jaz

• User profile image
    eagle

Why don't you British wankers come up with a solution to what is ostensibly
    a sence of lost British national esteem.

• User profile image
    Jaz

what the....

did someone not give you the right amount of birdfeed eagle, whats up with you?

• User profile image
    eagle

The Eagle is a carnivore.

• User profile image
    Simo

eagle wrote:
    Why don't you British wankers come up with a solution to what is ostensibly
    a sence of lost British national esteem.

What a terribly intelligent argument you’ve constructed, eagle.

A passing comment observing that some people on the planet instinctively interpret 9/7/04 as 9th July 2004. Is countered by you claiming that we’re British w***kers suffering from a loss of national esteem. Ha.

I tend to think that you’re the one packing a few issues, along with the odd chip on your shoulder.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

Simo wrote:

A passing comment observing that some people on the planet instinctively interpret 9/7/04 as 9th July 2004. Is countered by you claiming that we’re British w***kers suffering from a loss of national esteem. Ha.

I tend to think that you’re the one packing a few issues, along with the odd chip on your shoulder.

Agreed. I personally prefer the alternate date format, and I've never been out of the US. DDMMYY just makes more sense.

• User profile image
    eagle

There must be 30 or more countries represented on channel9, why have we repeatedly had threads with British Bulldogs barking?

• User profile image
    spiderLab

he he, before this read, I red a My SQL article explaining the differences betweeen MS SQL and MySQL, one of them was the default way for storing date format:

MS SQL(which channel 9 uses I guess):
    MM-DD-YYYY

My SQL:
    YYYY-MM-DD

• User profile image
    Jaz

pretty much only america uses the random date feature.  Europe uses DDMMYY, Japan uses YYYYMMDD

• User profile image
    eagle

Let's adopt the Mayan Calender.

• User profile image
    sbc

Almost looks like an IP address.

People only suggest GMT because it is global time and used as a reference to all time zones. You can also refer to GTM as UTC (as they are both the same).

SETI@home uses UTC, they even have a UTC Time Conversion page. So why not other international sites (which Channel9 is).

To prevent ambiguity you could always use dd-mmm-yyyy (i.e. 21-Jul-2004)

The thing with localisation is often that Windows users still have it set in US format (DD/MM/YYYY), and code that checks the browsers location often gets 'en-US'. It would be good if Windows CD's bought in the UK where set to British Summer Time rather than Seattle. I wonder how many PC's are incorrectly set up due to this?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.