Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Date formate on Channel 9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Keskos

Let's be respectful to each other. No need to fight over something that can be easily fixed using software. Let people personalize their date format, and that absolutely makes sense. Why do we have all these localization, internationalization work if everbody has to respect the customs of the area where the server is based. By adding these features you won't disrespect American customs, you will add great value to Channel 9. Of course feasibility of this is another story and only channel 9 creators can answer that. I think it is a great idea though. If Channel 9 is destined to become a great place for discussion etc.. this would be a nice addition.

• User profile image
    bishfish

Well said,

there is another advantage to using alpha numeric dates on web-sites and that is to aid people to whom english (in any variant) is not their native tongue, like me for instance. As some have noted, let the machine do the interpreting.

• User profile image
    manickernel

We are outsourcing our jobs to the rest of the world, so you might as well get used the way we do dates.

P.S.- and soon start driving on the "right" side of the road.

Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

Why doesn't a British Blowfish write the app, if date conversion is such a problem for YOU, then you should invest the time and energy to come up with a solution

• User profile image
    AndyC

manickernel wrote:

P.S.- and soon start driving on the "right" side of the road.

Smiley

And by right you mean left, right? Wink

And what's all the fuss over anyway. The dates show up localized here in England already.

• User profile image
    Kaelan

A couple changes to Format() calls is all that should be needed. It's taking you more effort to moan and whine here in this thread than it would've taken to fix it. Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

Indeed

• User profile image
    Alex K. Angelopoulos

At risk of beating a dead horse, let me point out that the ideal standards-based format is ISO 8601 - either yyyy-mm-dd or yyyymmdd. In general, the yyyy-mm-dd format is easier to comprehend quickly due to the dash delimiters.

• User profile image
    eagle

Yes, you smell like a dead horse.....a slow dead English horse...

• User profile image
    manickernel

Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:
    At risk of beating a dead horse, let me point out that the ideal standards-based format is ISO 8601 - either yyyy-mm-dd or yyyymmdd. In general, the yyyy-mm-dd format is easier to comprehend quickly due to the dash delimiters.

..actually this argues that the American format is closer to standards, (as well as logic) as it places the month before the day. So not such a dead horse after all...

..now i ask myself why am i still following this thread..

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

sbc wrote:
    The thing with localisation is often that Windows users still have it set in US format (DD/MM/YYYY), and code that checks the browsers location often gets 'en-US'. It would be good if Windows CD's bought in the UK where set to British Summer Time rather than Seattle. I wonder how many PC's are incorrectly set up due to this?

A lot. Even more have the user locale set to English (United States), and very few people have found the option for the system default locale.

What's annoying is the seemingly endless number of places in which I have to tell Windows Setup that I'm British, I live in the UK, I use a UK keyboard and I use the UK currency and defaults. Then there's the popup in Setup when I remove the US keyboard which tells me that it's currently in use and cannot be removed until I next reboot. I don't care! Setup will reboot when it's finished anyway, at which point it's no longer a problem.

Then (XP and Server 2003) you have the useless stub of a Language Bar when a new profile's created, which has only the Help button in it.

Anyway, on C9, you can set your time zone in the profile, but not your location. There seems to be a bug with the time zone setting, though; when I set 'GMT London, Dublin', the response always shows 'GMT Casablanca, Monrovia'.

• User profile image
    Charles

We are going to address this and other internationalization constructs in the coming months. Stay tuned. Thanks for your patience.

C9 Dev

• User profile image
    Jaz

what i don't like is that MS refuses to localize for the UK and the real language of the World English. instead they inflict "Catalog" and "Centre" on us, if you go by what eagle says, when you come to the UK you should respect our cultures and language.

• User profile image
    Manip

I am from the UK and frankly I really couldn't care less. It might get annoying if they had opted to use 10/10/04 or something similar but as the month is named and the full four digit year is given it isn't exactly hard to read or comprehend.

I don't think the location of the web-server for Date/Time formatting should matter but as MS is traditionally a US company and as the Dev team live and work in the US I can completely understand this formatting.

Obviously I am not going to complain if you added date formatting customization etc but I will not be popping open the wine..

PS eagle, I think you have some issues that you need to resolve. You are seriously over-compensating to any anti-Americanism. I think you need to work on your ability to respect others views even when they conflict with your own.

Note: I don't think Britain has an esteem problem at the moment, I mean the British economy is really healthy (best for years!) and British culture is changing and evolving which is not a bad thing. I really don't think there is anyone still alive who feels badly about the fall of the British empire (which I think is what you were implying) and there is a popular move away from an empirial power.

Look at this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3888783.stm

• User profile image
    eagle

The “issue” here was similar to the British football hooligans that torment Europe, one guy assumed at least three different “monikers” in an attempt to create a false “majority".   Why didn't you spot that?  

How ironic that today Robert, Len and Jeff are attending a conference on “Social Computing”. Authentication is a more pressing issue then localization and when will we get channel9 translated into Chinese?

• User profile image
    manickernel

Manip wrote:

Well at least Mick Jagger got his knighthood first! Personally I like the whole thing, Monarchy and all.

...and I would like to state for the record that I am not one of the three, although I do sometimes talk to myself..

(I tawt I taw a puddy kat!)

I fear that this thread is about to descend into playground namecalling. I would remind all that someone here is probably baiting others 'cause nobody could be that paranoid and closeminded... well maybe from the Bronx..

;-p

• User profile image
    eagle

You don't find it the least bit odd that 9 Brits would land on a thread called "Date formate on Channel 9"?

• User profile image
    manickernel

Nope,

Brits are all hard up for women, 'cause all thiers are over here (and I love them) looking to hook up with real men instead of girlie boys.  So when they saw "date formate" they thought Channel9 was starting a singles dating thing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.