Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

3D desktop... how long to wait?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    moofish

Some of you may have seen this or something like it, but for me this is the first time I have seen a 3D desktop work. I would like to see a video comparring this to what MS has in store, I know that Vista will not be in 3D but the here and now is that it does work and wont get any better by putting it off.

http://www.hamar.sk/sphere/index.php

Samuel, UK

• User profile image
    moofish

I heard of that ages ago, and it shows on their video. I prefer what I have seen from the link in my previous post, firstly it shows that others are trying and secondly his approach seems to have more freedom, the 3d environment really can be explored to a higher degree.

All those flipping actions and transparencies are going to be in vista, but for 3d really to take off its going to take the type of community that FF has with their extensions or the Google Map community. I have not seen anything come further than that sun video from their site, which is a shame.

I actually found some game, a link from downloadsquad, that sets you up with your own planet, its looks really retro. I never got into it but It would be good if my 'theme' was a planet, which was connected to a network, and it grew and evolved and interacted with the community Im rolling with at the time, I dont mean tokenistic areas designated for tradtitional forms of contact like a crater with an IM interface or a porthole for my email, something that trully grows, something organic, maybe sim city esque so that buildings could be created to be folders, and seem as though I've got a planet to myself, the whole HDD would be my landscape,

just thinking, relationships could join the folders/files much like that website I forget the name of which allows the user to type a name in and then google sun attaches all relevant data to it, like a catherine wheel effect. I could get cross sections of my HDD planet, going down to the mantle etc...
    with neighbouring planets as my friends and moons as my peripheral devices...

It would take some coding for a theme like that, but I just dont see any of the stuff suns got as taking advantage of 3d as it could be.  

• User profile image
    moofish

I'm searching but I cant find a link, got one?

I think I've found it but getting it to work is another thing, I always find this java stuff complicated, I'll get back to you when Ive figured it out and tested it.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

For real?

Not until holographic technology becomes consumer-viable.

It's painful to manipulate a 3D space with a 2D screen. You can only ever have a 2D snapshot of the space.

So it's by lengths better to use the current window method, which is both easier to use and ingrained into people's brains.

• User profile image
    moofish

Its 4:30 and im not in the mood for this, why does all this stuff have to be so difficult to use, what with all this command stuff. There is not exe to click... I cant even figure out how to use it, maybe some time I'll get a chance to use it but its impossible to work out.

Well as long as you guys are sure about what you have seen, as for Io2, I have seen a couple of other companies that are in the same field but dont see this being dished out for domestic personal use any time soon, theres too much of a commercial application.

And like HVD it will not come out before blue ray, even though it could (think sharp 3d monitors)

• User profile image
    Karim

Beer28 wrote:
    google sun lookingglass and get yourself some linux to run it on. It works really well compared to other ones.

Beer, don't you own the lookingglass3d.com domain?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

moofish wrote:
    Some of you may have seen this or something like it, but for me this is the first time I have seen a 3D desktop work. I would like to see a video comparring this to what MS has in store, I know that Vista will not be in 3D but the here and now is that it does work and wont get any better by putting it off.

http://www.hamar.sk/sphere/index.php

Samuel, UK

SphereXP isn't a 3D desktop, it's just a glorified 3D task-switcher utility.

It's also painfully slow and a massive resource hog, its written in C# and uses an OpenGL wrapper.

I use two monitors, and when I resize it accross both (so the 3D device context covers two GPUs, which OpenGL fully supports) performance goes down to around 10fps.

PLG, however, is a full windowing system and desktop environment. It still needs a few more tweaks to be more usable, but SphereXP is anything BUT a 3D desktop environment / windowing system.

Besides, Windows Vista's windowing system is 3D already! Just apply a few tweaks and you'll discover you can have a "native SphereXP" right into Windows.

Of course, that depends on how willing Microsoft is to release the APIs that allow Window-face control. I know it is possible (take a look at the newfangled "Alt-Tab" they've got)

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    For real?

Not until holographic technology becomes consumer-viable.

It's painful to manipulate a 3D space with a 2D screen. You can only ever have a 2D snapshot of the space.

It is very important that you realise that io2technology's display is 2D, it is not holographic.  Taken from their web site

Although the Heliodisplay uses lasers, the images are not holographic.

The image is display into two-dimensional space (i.e.planar). Heliodisplay images appear 3D when viewed from more than a few feet away because there is no physical depth reference.

True 3D displays are still a long, long way off. 

EDIT: I think this type of display has more promise for a desktop than io2technology's.

• User profile image
    moofish

Well I happen to think that sphere3d is a 3d environment, more so that what I saw of that video. I could move around in it, this to me is more freedom, much more realistic than 3d looking windows.

3d effects slapped on top of 2d designed applications is not 3d enough for me, I want to tuck my folders behind trees and pluck leaves to commence tasks, like using leaves as stikkies for example.

This is what sphere3d is for me, maybe you are concerned about performance and spreading it over two screens, fair enough, but for me its the exploration of a 3d desktop environment that gets me salivating.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    Of course, that depends on how willing Microsoft is to release the APIs that allow Window-face control. I know it is possible (take a look at the newfangled "Alt-Tab" they've got)

It was said in one of the videos that those "live window previews" they use for the taskbar previews, alt-tab, the 3D flip functionality are accessible to any application. I think they even showed some kind of app that used them. So yes, with those, something like SphereXP could make a real 3D desktop. Not something I'd want to use, but they could do it.

• User profile image
    solar

Hi you should check this new technology 3Dsolar
    they are working on a 3D desktop to be integrated in their product, its a new solution to create 3D effect that do not need to modify the image like stereoscopy or holograms.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.