Coffeehouse Thread

62 posts

only a few people will read the articles written in VB

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

    VB developers are not good at learning, if they not, they would be a C++ developers or others, so VB developers may won’t to read the articles written in VB.
    As a C++ developer, I can read the articles written in VB without any problem, but I won’t to read it, because VB makes me feel it’s just for beginner, not for professional C++ developers.
    The result is, only a few people will read the articles written in VB, so it’s totally wasting resources on VB.

    an interesting article from Tom Archer's Blog

    Tom Archer wrote:

    Why so many examples in Visual Basic?

    I've received a few queries lately as to why MSDN - and Microsoft as a whole - has become more focused on producing Visual Basic.NET examples and code snippets in our articles and presentations. The reason is two-fold.

    First, while I can't publicly state the actual numbers, I can tell you that there are many times more Visual Basic developers than C++ and C# developers. Therefore, basic business sense would indicate that - since it's not economically efficient to produce examples in all languages - we produce examples in the language used by the majority of developers using our platforms.

    Second, we've spent a good deal of time and money evaluating how each group of programmers reacts to articles and presentations when the code is in the another language. These statistics show that the majority of C++ and C# developers are more apt to read an article that contains Visual Basic.NET material than the reverse. In other words, a very high percentage of Visual Basic developers will not read an article if it contains C++ or C#.

    I'll leave trying to surmise why this is true to the reader. However, my personal opinion is that C++ and C# developers are much more accustomed to class libraries than Visual Basic developers. As a result, they can more easily look past the exact language semantics of a .NET example written in Visual Basic and focus instead on the .NET types/classes being used. Visual Basic developers - on the other hand - coming from a less object-oriented background of Visual Basic 6, already have the learning curve of trying to learn a new way of developing software without the added overhead of also having to convert the language syntax.

    Whatever the reasons for this phenomenon, our research has shown that producing examples for presentations and articles in Visual Basic enables the broadest reach to all of our developers.



  • User profile image
    Karim

    -1 Troll

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Karim wrote:

    -1 Troll


    well, you can ignore my personal option, read about Tom Archer's "Why so many examples in Visual Basic?",and may tell us is it reasonable?

  • User profile image
    mot256

    Karim wrote:

    -1 Troll



    Make that -2
    (I switch directly to C# or C++ in my MSDN docs)

    edit:

    Or may apologies to LeighSword if the “-2” does not support you… or what ever… I still think C# & C++ is better understood Smiley

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    I think MS should release a new standard language only for describle algorithms, then MSDN documents will be more clear.

    One platform, one alorithms language , and multiple languages.

  • User profile image
    Karim

    leighsword wrote:
    Karim wrote:

    -1 Troll


    well, you can ignore my personal option, read about Tom Archer's "Why so many examples in Visual Basic?",and may tell us is it reasonable?


    The article said:

    First, while I can't publicly state the actual numbers, I can tell you that there are many times more Visual Basic developers than C++ and C# developers. Therefore, basic business sense would indicate that - since it's not economically efficient to produce examples in all languages - we produce examples in the language used by the majority of developers using our platforms.

    Makes "basic business sense" to me too.  Unfortunately it doesn't directly support your continual "VB programmers are morons" tirade.

    You should be grateful that there are so many VB programmers, leighsword.  If there were no VB programmers, how could you cultivate such a sense of snotty superiority?

  • User profile image
    out180

    leighsword wrote:


    VB developers are not good at learning, if they not, they would be a C++ developers or others ...



    YAWN!

    Congrats, you just lumped this thread into the so called "wasted resources" you mentioned.

  • User profile image
    Khamul

    leighsword wrote:
    VB developers are not good at learning, if they not, they would be a C++ developers or others


    If interpretted as "Visual Basic Developers as a rule are not good at learning", I could choose to take offence to that. The reason I am not a C++ Developer is because I am still learning (I still go to High School, give me a break).

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    leighsword wrote:
    VB developers are not good at learning
    That's the dumbest (I need to watch my language) ever. Think before you say something, please!- Steve

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Karim wrote:
    leighsword wrote:
    Karim wrote:

    -1 Troll


    well, you can ignore my personal option, read about Tom Archer's "Why so many examples in Visual Basic?",and may tell us is it reasonable?


    The article said:

    First, while I can't publicly state the actual numbers, I can tell you that there are many times more Visual Basic developers than C++ and C# developers. Therefore, basic business sense would indicate that - since it's not economically efficient to produce examples in all languages - we produce examples in the language used by the majority of developers using our platforms.

    Makes "basic business sense" to me too.  Unfortunately it doesn't directly support your continual "VB programmers are morons" tirade.

    You should be grateful that there are so many VB programmers, leighsword.  If there were no VB programmers, how could you cultivate such a sense of snotty superiority?

    the fact may hurts people, that's why he as a smart guy won't to tell us the fact.

    'Man struggles upwards;water flows downwards.', I think I'll never compete with VB developers who I never care about, but they seems to steal our resources from MSDN .

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    leighsword wrote:
    'Man struggles upwards;water flows downwards.', I think I'll never compete with VB developers who I never care about, but they seems to steal our resources from MSDN.
    Those aren't "your" resources. As you've mentioned several times on Channel 9, you pirate Microsoft software. So I am interested to hear your reply to the following question: why we should pay more attention to you, and not to a VB programmer who has actually paid us money?

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Khamul wrote:
    leighsword wrote: VB developers are not good at learning, if they not, they would be a C++ developers or others


    If interpretted as "Visual Basic Developers as a rule are not good at learning", I could choose to take offence to that. The reason I am not a C++ Developer is because I am still learning (I still go to High School, give me a break).

    Usually , it's true.
    Everybody can do any thing, just gives them enough time, so people who are faster than you to master the stuff, then they will get more chance than you.

    Welcome to C++ club.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    leighsword wrote:

    Usually , it's true.
    Everybody can do any thing, just gives them enough time, so people who are faster than you to master the stuff, then they will get more chance than you.

    Welcome to C++ club.



    Welcome to the real world, where VB rules and C++ blows.
    - Steve

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    jonathanh wrote:
    leighsword wrote: 'Man struggles upwards;water flows downwards.', I think I'll never compete with VB developers who I never care about, but they seems to steal our resources from MSDN.
    Those aren't "your" resources. As you've mentioned several times on Channel 9, you pirate Microsoft software. So I am interested to hear your reply to the following question: why we should pay more attention to you, and not to a VB programmer who has actually paid us money?

    I am one of C++ deverlopers, and speaking for them who maybe paid MS money.

    Yes, I steal softwares from MS, because most of people used to do the same thing in China, and you are so easy to find the pirate softwares in the Internet.

    PS: the China MSDN is worst, their articles never up to date, and most of articles is steal from MSDN.

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Steve411 wrote:
    leighsword wrote:VB developers are not good at learning
    That's the dumbest (I need to watch my language) ever. Think before you say something, please!- Steve

    Do asked why VB deverlopers choice on VB as their development tools and what the purpose they are use the VB, then you will know why I said that.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    I don't think VB[.net] coders are morons. I don't even think they are less adapt to learning when compared to C#, C/C++ coders. I used to use VB(6) until I out grow its limited feature set in the downward direction. But for most VB programmers who don't want to program nearer the hardware, programming on an application level can offer them a lot of unique and interesting challenges.

    VB and C++ are extremely different languages, both semantically and their common libraries. However C#, J# and VB.net aren't very different and I can't see why a programmer from either three can't use code samples from any of the others.

    If you assume that the programmers from all three can switch over; and that new programmers will be using VB.net then why not go for the lowest common denominator? It won't upset the C# or J# coders but will be a life saver for the new VB.Net programmer.

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    leighsword wrote:
    I think MS should release a new standard language only for describle algorithms, then MSDN documents will be more clear.

    One platform, one alorithms language , and multiple languages.
    So... kind of like pseudo code?

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Manip wrote:
    I don't think VB[.net] coders are morons. I don't even think they are less adapt to learning when compared to C#, C/C++ coders. I used to use VB(6) until I out grow its limited feature set in the downward direction. But for most VB programmers who don't want to program nearer the hardware, programming on an application level can offer them a lot of unique and interesting challenges.

    VB and C++ are extremely different languages, both semantically and their common libraries. However C#, J# and VB.net aren't very different and I can't see why a programmer from either three can't use code samples from any of the others.

    If you assume that the programmers from all three can switch over; and that new programmers will be using VB.net then why not go for the lowest common denominator? It won't upset the C# or J# coders but will be a life saver for the new VB.Net programmer.


    There are no gray area if you trying to judge of things, scientist told us that affective learning is effective, so it may be hurts, but it also may be works.
    You must consider some people use VB who are not good at computer area, but they are really good at their area, such as lawyers, doctors, officials...

    J#, C# and C++ all are similar C languages, and I don't know what VB likes.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.