Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Idea for Word12: Make background semi transparent

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

What about the idea of making the background of Word 12 semi transparent (Optional: As a flag in the options dialog). I have often set nice background picture (wallpapers) on the windows desktop.

It would be cool to have them shine trough the background of word. I mean the paper and toolbars (the "ribbon") shouldn't be semi transparent. Only the background...

I think that would be a really cool feature! Brings fun into working with Word 12.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Sounds like an awful distraction to me.

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

Sven Groot wrote:

agreed

• User profile image
    Manip

I know you're suggesting an optional extra not a default; but in general it sounds like a bad idea... I already need to increase the default size of word documents to make them easier to read, and that is black on white... It would get very difficult to read black against whatever your background happens to be... Or worse some animated web-site that was left behind your in-focus document...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:

A lot of Linux terminal windows and IRC clients have that "background pass through" thing, often to great effect. I can't see why this is a bad idea.

• User profile image
    Manip

W3bbo wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: Sounds like an awful distraction to me.

A lot of Linux terminal windows and IRC clients have that "background pass through" thing, often to great effect. I can't see why this is a bad idea.

Remind us then why you aren't running said 'great' Linux Terminals? Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    Remind us then why you aren't running said 'great' Linux Terminals?

Because I'm running Windows right now.

Besides, Solaris > Linux Smiley

EDIT: Oh, and Manip, get on Messenger stat.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

DCMonkey wrote:

I hate Stardock with a vengeance, their products are simple hacks that latch onto Window's windowing system and cause system instabilities and break loads of programs.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I was not talking about the background of the page! I was talking about the other stuff. If you are in "Print Layout" you see the page in front of you, like a paper you are writing on. The "paper" itself should be white, as it is right now. I was thinking only to make the background of Word itself, semi-transparent.

I'm here with a 1900x1200 resolution. A page fills not even half the screen. All the other part is background. Why can't the wallpaper not shine a little bit trough it??

It does not handicap me when reading the text, because the page itself is not semi-transparent.

What do you think?

• User profile image
    Lundberg

Now when I understand that you did not want the paper to be semi-transparent I think it's a good idea Smiley

• User profile image
    Cyonix

This sounds like a great idea. I've got a 1920x1200 as well however i use the zoom feature in word so i have massive text. lots of fun Tongue Out

• User profile image
    PaoloM

littleguru wrote:

I was not talking about the background of the page! I was talking about the other stuff. If you are in "Print Layout" you see the page in front of you, like a paper you are writing on. The "paper" itself should be white, as it is right now. I was thinking only to make the background of Word itself, semi-transparent.

Just for future reference, that is called "chrome" Smiley

Vista allows you to extend the standard window chrome into your application (see the bottom of WMP 11 as an example), so it's perfectly feasible. I doubt Office 12 will go this way, because the UI looks very ahead in development at this stage and because it will be an XP-compatible product, but I'm sure your idea will be used more and more in future products.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Current versions of the window manager can't do this. It should be possible on Vista, with the DWM, though I don't think I'd want it - I think the screen would end up looking too cluttered. The 'glass' effect might help, I suppose.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

littleguru wrote:
    What do you think?

Run Word windowed?

• User profile image
    Cider

It would be great to be able to see your Word documents in 3D space, as in be able to view it at angles, all the pages as a bundle, etc.

The reason why is that when you do a big document, sometimes its physical presence, even just how the ink looks on the page from afar, has an effect.  It would be brill if, like in the way there are standardised labels, there are standardised binding types (or similar) so you can try them on.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Tom Servo wrote:
    littleguru wrote: What do you think?

Run Word windowed?

I 2nd this. Even at 1280x1024 I rarely run anything maximized except IDEs and very large spreadsheets.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

DCMonkey wrote:
    Tom Servo wrote:
    littleguru wrote: What do you think?

Run Word windowed?

I 2nd this. Even at 1280x1024 I rarely run anything maximized except IDEs and very large spreadsheets.

Ditto.

(Well, I'm at 1280x960 Dual) but I only have VS, games, and Outlook maximised.

The only times I maximise Word is when I have both the taskbar and document map open.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.