Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Instant winter in holland

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    WillemM

It's instant winter at the moment in holland.  It's snowing big time and we got about 10 cm of ice underneath it at some places.

My brother can't come home, he's stuck somewhere in the middle of the country. And my sister's friend from school is stuck here Tongue Out

I always said it was fun living in holland, but now I'm starting to wonder why I had to say that Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Manip

We never get snow in the UK anymore darn global warming.... Sad

Manip <3 snow Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

Ohhh there will be snow this winter - and lots of it.

• User profile image
    Manip

Tensor wrote:
    Ohhh there will be snow this winter - and lots of it.

I'll hold you to that. Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

Manip wrote:
    We never get snow in the UK anymore darn global warming....

Manip <3 snow

Won't certain areas of the UK suffer dramatic decreases in temperature due to the water that comes from melted ice caps diluting the gulf-stream, one of the main reasons we have a moderate temperature? I have been told that this dilution will cause large scale desalination and therefore a colder Britain in many areas. Also snow has been forecast for the coming days in the UK, the arctic winds of up to 70 MPH will bring wind chills in some areas of -5°C to -10°C.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    eagle

I have read several scientific papers claming that the Gulf Stream will change course because of all the added fresh water from the melting ice caps and increased rain in Northern Europe.

The Gulf Stream has changed course in the past and I believe this will be the BIG SHOCK that will at last convince the planet that we have effected the climate.

• User profile image
    mixelz

I live in holland as well, when I was walking home, I was walking under some trees and it started to get windy. Suddenly branches (thicker than a baseball bat) kept falling all around me and I litteraly had to run for my life to get in the open.
    Loads of fun Wink. Ill upload some pics of how it looks up here.

• User profile image
    Manip

eagle wrote:
    I have read several scientific papers claming that the Gulf Stream will change course because of all the added fresh water from the melting ice caps and increased rain in Northern Europe.

The Gulf Stream has changed course in the past and I believe this will be the BIG SHOCK that will at last convince the planet that we have effected the climate.

"The Planet" means North America... Everyone else has already come to that conclusion.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Snow? You lucky (I need to watch my language). All I get in this part of the country is rain, rain and more rain. And lots of wind.

I was extremely lucky just now, I just went from my own place in Leiden to my parents' place in Dordrecht by train, and all was relatively uneventful. I check the train delays on teletext when I get here, and it says there's a collission, no trains running between The Hague and Delft, delays of over an hour. Am I glad I managed to avoid that!

Public transportation is a mess in large parts of the country because of the weather. Utrecht is almost unreachable due to a lightning strike (I suppose in the electric lines for the trains), and there have been a few other collissions as well as numerous signal malfunctions (which means the computer system for all the signals for an entire piece of track dies, not just one signal, and those fools at the NS don't have a backup system, or so I'm told).

The longest traffic jam on the road was more than 90 kilometres, with estimated delays of over four and a half hours.Perfect weather for a birthday, don't you think?

• User profile image
    PeterF

I've put some pictures of my town in the south east of Holland on my MSN space:
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/pfar

Just came back from the restaurant, luckily it was not that windy anymore...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

PeterF wrote:
    I've put some pictures of my town in the south east of Holland on my MSN space:
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/pfar

Just came back from the restaurant, luckily it was not that windy anymore...

Nothing like that here (Dordrecht). Heck, it's even been dry for a while now.

• User profile image
    PeterF
  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

WillemM wrote:
    I always said it was fun living in holland, but now I'm starting to wonder why I had to say that

I was in Amsterdam last year, in October. I was picked up the airport by some friends, who apologized for the grey, rainy weather out.
    I had to explain that coming from the standard holiday heat-wave in October (it's only now, near December, starting to get chilly in the evenings), I had come to Holland craving windy, chilly, rainy weather.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Our weather has been horrible, too.  We should be much closer to 80   Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

My area isn't too bad, it had predicted snow, but sadly that didn't happen, maybe tommorrow though.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

It never changes here Sad always hot, always sunny

Current Conditions

Reported from Tucson 11/25/2005 4:55 PM EST
    Fair

Temperature:

74°F 23°C

Conditions:

Fair

Winds:

W 12 MPH W 19 KPH

Relative Humidity:

14%

Barometer:

29.95 Falling

Visibility:

10.00 Miles 16.09 Kilometers

Feels Like:

74°F n/a

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Yggdrasil wrote:
    I had come to Holland craving windy, chilly, rainy weather.

I don't get that. I can deal with it being hot (although not too hot, I stand the cold a lot better than the heat, 20-25 celcius is nice though) and I can deal with it being cold. We need a good winter again, I used to iceskate a lot, but I don't like indoor skating, I want a river, some windmills, and a 25 to 50km route along them (this is known as a "Molentocht", I did a few of them in highschool), but we haven't had anything like that in ages, no cold lasting long enough to really freeze up the great rivers.

But rain, that I hate. Or any kind of precipitation, really. I depend mostly on my bike for getting places, and cycling when it's raining is not funny.

• User profile image
    Red5

Cybermagellan wrote:
    It never changes here always hot, always sunny

Current Conditions
    Reported from Tucson 11/25/2005 4:55 PM EST
    Fair

Temperature:

74°F 23°C

Conditions:

Fair

Winds:

W 12 MPH W 19 KPH

Relative Humidity:

14%

Barometer:

29.95 Falling

Visibility:

10.00 Miles 16.09 Kilometers

Feels Like:

74°F n/a

At least you get to golf all year!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.