Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Sanity check

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

So, how do you think the Channel 9 Experiment is going? What are we doing right? What are we doing wrong? What's missing? Etc.

We'd love to know your thoughts on this.

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    Manip

Did anyone else read the title and think about data sanity checking, as in security speak?

First off the fact that we voted not to remove polls and then they went away didn't go unnoticed. If you didn't want the polls you should have just removed them instead of playing around..

After trying both solutions and considering how enthusiastic I was to begin with, I have decided I don't like Rich Text boxes for the forums. With things like PHPbb, you don't have to mess around copying between notepad/word and the forums. You can still do 90% of what this system can do and with a lot less hassle.

Emoticons! Nuff said!

Remove the forced Edit Notes boxes, does anybody actually use these?   

• User profile image
    Varsity

Right now there's 400 guests and just 20 registered users. People need a real incentive to register and contribute and by that I don't mean arbitrarily forcing registation to view the forums, videos, or indeed anything.

• User profile image
    LucasC

I agree completely about the 'incentive to register' problem.

Funny however, how this post made me check how registering works now, and I saw it no longer uses passport. So I decided to register after all...

Apart from that, a few more points:

• First of all, thanks for bringing us C9 Smiley
    Not being a native english speaker, and not being used too much to the US accents, I have often difficulties understanding the words being spoken by the interviewees.  There are two solutions to this (and they are not exclusive):
    • Provide direct downloads of the videos (instead of requiring streaming). A locally played back file is easier to seek in, to skip back a few seconds in order to replay it (or to skip boring parts Smiley )
    • an even better solution: seriously consider transcribing interviews to text format. I realize that is quite some work for you, but reading text is so much easier and faster than listening to a guy who is not speaking clearly. Also, not having to download a many-megabyte video but getting the same information in some (tens of) kilobytes, saves a bit on your networking bill. But most importantly, it saves on my time...
    Most of the videos right now don't provide much more information than the words they contain; it is nice to see the face of the interview subject, but a still picture gives that information too...

• User profile image
    bhakiti

Well, I can certainly say that I enjoy the "experiment".  It was exciting to find a place like this since I am now just getting back up to speed with VS.  Also, a lot of the other "Chat Groups" I've belonged to over the years just seem to be run by know-it-alls who want to prove to everyone they know more than everyone else.  Boring.

And I like the formats of forums, boards, and threads better than chats.  I mod a Star Wars forum, and find this way to be easier to info from then a bunch of running mouths.

And I agree with LucasC on the transcribing of the videos.  Since I come here mostly while I'm at work, listening isn't condusive for me.  I have to wait till I get home, and there I have only a 56k modem, nothing faster, so it's a major pain.

Other than that, the place is awesome.  It's nice finding other people that don't necessarily think that everything MS is evil.

P.S.  Emoticons, yes please!

• User profile image
    GeoffC

Keep it going. Good to see a range of views without the corporate sheen. Particularly impressed by the videos. They have an air of authenticity about them that you don't see from the processed cheese of marketing.

• User profile image
    infrared

I like it, wish there were about 200 more posters though, need to keep the talk flowing!!

And yes ^, what do you guys think of C9 so far?

• User profile image
    infrared

BTW I know it's early and all but I'm interested if this really IS just PR like many have said..  In other words is this 1-way or 2-way?  WIll suggestions take any effect at MS?

Look at the IE teams blog, they've done a list of what the COMMENTERS have said, but I'm worried that this is just reassurance and cheap talk (no offense IE team members, think of this through the cynical public eye).  I'm very willing to wait to see if this is false though Smiley Hey maybe they'll have a roadmap there in 1 minute after this poster, who knows Wink

• User profile image
    Keskos

Frankly, my biggest problem is that I don't see enough number of microsoft guys around. It is like a place to talk to other guys on the web. Videos are quite unique though, so for that channel 9 is still great, but I was thinking that I can interact with microsoft guys more often. Instead I get the feeling that I am talking more to the other people outside the company, which is also good, but then I can do that on the web in various forms anyway.

• User profile image
    Charles

Thanks for the feedback.

I completely agree that it would be nice to see more participation from Microsoft employees, as well as more thread participation generally. It will take some time for Channel 9 to mature into the kind of place we envisioned. Internally, we are trying to encourage adoption by asking teams across the company to consider participating on Channel 9. It's actually a hard problem. You can't force people to take part; that would be contrary to Channel 9's core principles not to mention artificial. Sometimes, evolution can be a long process. Make no mistake, however, that Microsoft is changing and you are all a part of it. Thank you for your open and honest feedback. 

This is not a marketing/PR machine and your product feedback is being taken seriously and in some cases implemented. The changes made to our security information delivery process were influenced by feedback from related threads on Channel 9. That is a great example of the impact you can have. Keep it up!

Even though a relatively small number of Microsoft employees consistently post on Channel 9 we do know that many employees representing many teams read your posts. So, you are being heard and listened to.

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    madnessjames

I think it is quite of a daunting task for someone new to come to this place and get going in general. You see all these buttons "Echo Chamber", "Videos", ... and "Forums". When you click into each one of them, there are or will be TONS of posts. It is rather psychological than anything else. It would be nice to have a newbie session or newbie article to give some introduction to the new members. Something the new members can get a general feel of what they can get here, something the new members can get a general feeling of how things work, and maybe do it in a video form?

How about notification to your email once someone replied to a thread you are watching? Instead of coming back to watch it all the time, an email notification seems more natural. However, I do like the RSS checks idea. Just too lazy to add on another subscription just for one thread that I might get rid of very soon.

The RSS feed is great. But it will be even better if the feed also include the forum or category it comes from. Just to get a general feeling of what this post belongs to.

I strong agree with the previous post to consider have a non-streaming of the video. I think transcription is a little too much to ask.

• User profile image
    madnessjames

Very interesting......When I first posted the previous entry with html code, everything worked out fine. However, after I edited some of the entry again, the html code started showing. A minor bug of the system? Let's see this again!

• User profile image
    madnessjames

Exact step to reproduce the error

1. Make a post with some html code
    2. Edit that entry
    3. Preview that entry edit, it should display okay with the html
    4. Post that entry edit by clicking POST, it will choke when displayed
  • User profile image
    jsrfc58

I'll reiterate what I wrote in another post...I wish somebody would come up with a better way to organize "threads" on bulletin boards (maybe I should do this myself and quit asking others for it).  So many of them on here (and other boards) are duplicate topics.  I sincerely wish there was an alternative way to "view" all the threads, instead of flipping through pages and pages.  Nobody has the time to sit and read through all the entries, especially if they are new to the site.  Those who have been around a while seem to get tired of seeing the same topics pop up over and over again (as a new post)..."What's wrong with IE"..."How do I hate Windows? How does it annoy YOU?"  It ends up turning into a thread where the veterans tell the new folks to go to the old threads.  Still doesn't work too well.  It would be interesting to see how many people have "stuck" around here from the beginning of the site...statistics I guess you would call it...as opposed to the "transitory" ones. 

On the subject of improving a new visitor's experience...yes, I think that could be worked on as a side project.  Maybe improved help screens would be a start...?  Whatever you have time for.

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

I appreciate the Research videos that have appeared here as of late.  But I have to ask one question in response...what do you, the Channel 9 team, think of how things have gone so far?  What would you like to see happen here?  Are things living up to your expectations? 

• User profile image
    jsrfc58

Keskos wrote:
    Frankly, my biggest problem is that I don't see enough number of microsoft guys around. It is like a place to talk to other guys on the web. Videos are quite unique though, so for that channel 9 is still great, but I was thinking that I can interact with microsoft guys more often. Instead I get the feeling that I am talking more to the other people outside the company, which is also good, but then I can do that on the web in various forms anyway.

I am beginning to agree with this now.  I have watched things here for several months and it seems that any responses you do get from Channel 9/Microsoft employees are very selective in nature, and some employees, when they are new to posting here, add a great deal initially, but then the interest seems to drop off.  Maybe the outside world bores them to death, I don't know.  This participation on this site also seems to go in waves, and the number of posts and guests only surges when there is feedback.  Or a posting on /. 

• User profile image
    Charles

jsrfc58,

No, the outside world is far from boring and the posts and threads on this site have been truly compelling to read and take part in! Even though we aren't seeing a lot of MS posters, a fair percentage of the lurkers are MS employees.

This is the biggest problem with Channel 9 today: lack of Microsoft participation. Maybe if we keep saying it over and over again, it will change. 

Internally, I have been trying to get devs to join in and help answer some interesting questions that are specifically related to what they do for a living. It seems to be working, but obviously it's too slow of a process.

Come on Microsoft people, join in the conversation!

Charles

• User profile image
    Manip

I know this is the third time I have brought it up but nobody replied the first two.. What about an open-source forum project where we can submit patches... lalala You've read it all before.

As I said last time, I don't mind being turned down but getting stone-walled is irritating.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.