Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

What does MS think about the unofficial Windows98 Service Pack?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • infrared

Well you other know-nothing guys too Wink

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

Anyone (still) using Winodws 98 MUST download this, it makes it faster & more stable, PLUS pretty 16 bit colours in the system tray.  You still can't just go to Bermuda,  leave it alone for 3 days, then just start using it like Linux or NT stuff, but it makes an old croak bearable again Wink Actually, it's been up for 28 hours now and it's just starting to slow down.

Plus, it makes the most UNUSABLE feature in Windows 98 all OK (as in Windows2k+):  keyboard shortcuts [ctrl+a, ctrl+c, ctrl+p, ctrl+s]  are in fine order in notepad.exe-- voted by me the most used app next to the browser !!! Smiley:)

Good for us cheapies!

• infrared

I think FAT32 is the bottleneck for Win98 actually.  Fragments easily, no permissions...it's a good excuse to upgrade (which equals smart MS!!)

• Manip

I still use 98 on an old lappy, handles better than Linux or 2k... And is more stable than ME [Shudder]

• Sampy

I was always surprised that ME sold out almost every day at the company store.

• Manip

Can't tell, was that sarcasm or a joke? Smiley

• Sampy

During my internship before XP shipped, it was gone or almost gone every single afternoon I was there.

No joke.

• Bogusrabin

Manip wrote:
    I still use 98 on an old lappy, handles better than Linux or 2k... And is more stable than ME [Shudder]

Hi Manip.

Sorry, but I don't understand why Win98 is better than for example Linux (2.0, 2.4 kernel) ?

• Manip

Faster, at least if you want a graphical Desktop. Oh and I don't count Window Maker as one, consoles in windows and Consoles on the command line are when it comes down to it the same thing!

Currently Linux on the desktop is bloat of the worst possible kind with libs all over the place and inconstancies left right and centre.

I will quite happily use Linux on my servers or administer any server running Linux, it rocks! But currently it is not up to the standards I require for a day to day desktop environment as is the software released for the Linux desktop.

Not even to mention that I legally own a copy of Win98 SE and Office 95..

• manickernel

Manip wrote:

Not even to mention that I legally own a copy of Win98 SE and Office 95..

Hey, I've got a 73' AMC Gremlin I'll make you a deal on!

Actually I agree with you completely on the desktop evolution of Linux. Instead of closing in on MS it seems Linux distros are succumbing to bloatware creep far faster than Microsoft could imagine. Not to mention now I get lockups/freezing that never happened in the good ole days. I think the last good version of most distros was about 12 months ago. Currently I run RH9/XP on my laptop but will probably switch to Debian or Slackware in the near future rather than  follow the Fedora track.  Now that MS is packaging Unix Services for free, and adding great functionality and new methods to  the adminstrative scripting the gap in  "cool"  is closing. Please keep it  up guys.

Blonde Destiny

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.