Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Installing SQL Server 2005 Standard

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Could anyone lend me a hand? I seem to be having problems installing SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition on my server box. The system meets all the hardware requirements, and I've ensured that IIS is installed in order to enable Reporting Services. I go ahead and install SQL Server 2005 (SQL Native Client and Setup Support Files), it does it's think and then reports that the installation was succesful.

The problem then? In the start menu under Microsoft SQL Server 2005, there is only one folder, Configuration Tools, which contains the following three shortcuts: SQL Server Configuration Manager, SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting, SQL Server Surface Area Configuration. Theres no mention of the Server Management Studio mentioned in this MSDN article. Moreover, I'm unable to navigate to the default path mentioned in the article because the VSShell folder doesn't exist.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd really like to get this up and running soon so that as soon as my exams are over I can get right to work on my next project.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Well folks, it turns out that the SQL Server Management Studio tools is actually a separate download. You wouldn't know it from that MSDN article I linked to... hopefully this will get me on my way.

Edit:
    I don't know if its just the fact that it is currently 12:40AM, but I'm unable to find a link to download the Management Studio tool. The only thing I've seen has been Management Studio for SQL Server 2005 Express, but I need the version for the Standard edition. Can someone help me out here?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Which set of media did you take from MSDN, the CDs or DVD?

If you took the CDs then management studio is on disk 2

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I've got the DVD. My copy of SQL Server 2005 Standard is the one given at the Launch Event. Is there a copy of the Management Studio hidden on there somewhere?

Also I figured out atleast one thing, the installation didn't complete fully. Infact, there were no instances of SQL Server installed... should have realized something wasn't right when it didn't ask me for the product key.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Tyler Brown wrote:
    I've got the DVD. My copy of SQL Server 2005 Standard is the one given at the Launch Event. Is there a copy of the Management Studio hidden on there somewhere?

Also I figured out atleast one thing, the installation didn't complete fully. Infact, there were no instances of SQL Server installed... should have realized something wasn't right when it didn't ask me for the product key.

Hmm, the DVD should have full installed, Management Studio is on there, but if it's part of the default install I have no idea to be honest.

• User profile image
    eschatzy

There should be two items list under the Install when you first insert the DVD. It should look something like this:

Install
    Server components, tools, Books Online, and samples
    Run the SQL Native Client Installation Wizard

You have installed the "Run the SQL Native Client Installation Wizard", next you need to install the "Server components, tools, Books Online, and samples". This is where you will get SQL Server and the Server Management Studio.

Hope that helps.

Eric

• User profile image
    footballism

I am currently using SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, and the installation disk directory hierarchy should be the following:
    2005-10-19  05:47    <DIR>          SQL Server Itanium
    2005-10-19  05:48    <DIR>          SQL Server x64
    2005-10-19  05:47    <DIR>          SQL Server x86
    2005-09-22  16:11                77 autorun.inf
    2005-10-19  05:03             9,258 default.htm
    2005-09-22  16:11             4,282 splash.hta
                   3 File(s)         13,617 bytes
                   3 Dir(s)               0 bytes free
    and in the "SQL Server X86" directory, you can find:
    2005-10-19  05:47    <DIR>          .
    2005-10-19  05:48    <DIR>          ..
    2005-10-19  05:47    <DIR>          Servers
    2005-10-19  05:48    <DIR>          Tools
    2005-07-29  16:13                76 autorun.inf
                   1 File(s)             76 bytes
                   4 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

so management studio's installer is in the "Tools" directory, hopefully this can help.

Sheva

• User profile image
    fgeo

If it's on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, you can't. You can only install the Express Version on it.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

When I attempt to install the Server Components, Tools, Books Online, and Samples portion, I get prompted to select which components I would like to install. Within this list I did see Management Studio, as well as reporting services. Reporting services was already installed and configured as I have been using it.

However, when I selected all components be installed (as none of them were selected, including reporting services) I got the following error:

SQL Server 2005 Setup wrote:
    None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL Server Setup, click Cancel.

For help, click: link

If I uninstall the Server Components, Tools, Books Online, and Samples portion from the control panel and then attempt to re-install it, I get the same error message.

I've got an exam to study for tomorrow, and I've got to work tonight, so I'm thinking after my first exam I'll uninstall SQL Server and then re-install it. Is there some special order of installation that I'm not aware of? I'm installing it on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1.

• User profile image
    drinian

Was this issue ever resolved?   I'm actually getting the exact same error.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.

The exact error when I try to manually install the components:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Setup
    ------------------------------

None of the selected features can be installed or upgraded. Setup cannot proceed since no effective change is being made to the machine. To continue, click Back and then select features to install. To exit SQL Server Setup, click Cancel.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.06&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=SQLSetup90&EvtType=28108

...the link appears to have nothing to do with the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

i have the same problem, please help anyone.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I did get the problem solve. I believe I fully uninstalled SQL Server as well as Visual Studio. Now that I think of it, I may have installed things in the wrong order which mucked up the install. Anyways, the first install didn't complete properly for some reason IIRC, but the second time around it did.

I'll see if I can remember anymore with regards to how I solved the problem.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

uninstall and install again Visual Studio with MSDN Library and all UI/Web components, eh, but if this will solve the problem...

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

If I'm not mistaken, that is what I did to solve the problem. Then again this was all on a development machine so I wasn't too hesitant with formatting. In fact, I would format atleast 4 times a week messing around with the CTP's for Avalon and Indigo.

• User profile image
    drinian

Actually in my case this is on a (soon to be) production system...  I've already once completely uninstalled and removed SQL (and verified that all the directory structures are gone).   The SQL install is completing fine without errors at all.

SQL works fine as well.  I can connect to the database regardless of which node it is running on and I can cluster failover without a problem.

It just won't let me install the darn tools on the 2nd node!!!!  Very frustrating...

• User profile image
    drinian

I finally figured it out...   Although the original install didn't actually install any of the tools on the 2nd node, it did create a "tools" directory on the 2nd node.  I renamed this directory and then went to try and install the tools and it worked.  Evidently the SQL setup was just looking to see if this directory existed.

• User profile image
    JohnSmart

I was frustrated by this exact same issue.

A coworker discovered a solution: you need to uninstall Sql Server Express edition, and then go through the installation of tools for Sql Server 2005 again.

This will install management studio.

• User profile image
    Intent Driven Designs - Joe

I uninstalled SQL Express, and installed SQL Developer, but now I can't load the management studio. Do I have to uninstall everything again???

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.