Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Patent Freakout(s)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

I'm bringing this up because Sven reminded me that someone patented the act of using a laser pointer to exercise a cat.  Given that and numerous other patently dumb patents, I wonder why we care enough to get excited about it. 

Hear me out.

Microsoft patented the IsNot function (or something similar).  Not a week goes by that we don't see some other crazy, silly patent granted for solar nose-hair trimmers or some such.  But, when we hear about patent lawsuits, many of them are for legitimate patents.  We may not agree with those who file the suits, but the patents are generally legitimate (Note: SCO sux, I know).

So, why don't we care more about the suits?  Some would say that the patents themselves stifle creativity, but unless you expect to make major cash selling infringing solar nose-hair trimmers, you won't be worth the time to sue. 

Obtaining Patents, to me, is like writing pointless papers in academia.  You must publish or perish, but what if you don't have anything useful to say? 

And we all know that if you don't have anything useful to say, you should say it on the internet. 

Preferrably in a forum somewhere.

• User profile image
    gswitz

I laughed.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

ScanIAm wrote:
    Microsoft patented the IsNot function (or something similar).  Not a week goes by that we don't see some other crazy, silly patent granted for solar nose-hair trimmers or some such.  But, when we hear about patent lawsuits, many of them are for legitimate patents.  We may not agree with those who file the suits, but the patents are generally legitimate (Note: SCO sux, I know).

And we all know that if you don't have anything useful to say, you should say it on the internet. 

Preferrably in a forum somewhere.

I like Patent and Trademark legal fights for the humor in them.

Kinda like the jpg group suing after how many years?

Apple will make a Tablet and use a well known hinge design that Gateway, or Levno, or someone else will sue them. I love to make the joke that I want to patent or trademark (I don't know the difference, don't really care), the action of gasping, or the letter A, or maybe a wheel...you know things we commonly use everyday, get awarded the patent or trademark for it and then sue the entire world.

When Beer brings up the McDonalds suit I keep thinking about the woman who sued because she spilled hot coffee in her lap and won...people are out to get a few quick bucks really fast.

Oh and the prefered forums for nothingness is Slashdot (if it's still around)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I think Patent law should be updated so that a company can 'totally' patent something for no more than 5 years. If the company shows that they make use of their patent then they're allowed to keep the patent, if not then they're forced into either paying an expensive annual patent renewal fee or get drawn into negociations with a company that wants to use the patent for a real product.

That would sure stop any "protection" patents from making it in.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Cybermagellan wrote:

When Beer brings up the McDonalds suit I keep thinking about the woman who sued because she spilled hot coffee in her lap and won...people are out to get a few quick bucks really fast.

Read and learn.  Although this case is often cited, it is NOT a case of excessive litigation: 

http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Cybermagellan wrote:

Oh and the prefered forums for nothingness is Slashdot (if it's still around)

Too low of a signal-to-noise ratio.  If you are going to post nothing, at least make sure it is heard.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.