Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PocketPC Friendly Channel 9?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    clintsinger

Hi All,

There have been times when I had my PocketPC (Dell Axim x51v) with me and a fast internet connection and I think to myself that it would be great to be able to watch a video on Channel 9, unfortunately the website doesn't play well with PocketIE and the videos are shown at a reduced bitrate (I think something like 24k).  All this makes for a very poor experience.  While I could live with the difficult front page I give up when trying to watch a video.  My PocketPC can easily handle the regular bitrate of the FullScreen videos but the video server cripples my video. 

Has anyone else been successful in watching a video from a Pocket PC and have the bitrate stay around 300k?

While I am at it I would like to put in a request for a PocketIE friendly site. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Alt-F4

Seconded!

• User profile image
    Devils​Rejection

PDA != surfing device

Laptop = Surfing Device

To each his own!

• User profile image
    bonk

I and others have been requesting this feautre a lot of times and it was voted for as the 2nd most important feature in a poll not too long ago. But so far I believe we have not yet heared any comments from the channel9 guys what their plans with this are. (/me waves at the c9guys)

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

MAYBE this will help in the meantime?

Try mobile.aol.com and try the search for Channel9 it should be the first link.

The reason I bring that up is because we just bought a company that is supposed to be able to take normal HTML and break it down to WAP and WML standard, so maybe it'll convert for you?

Just an idea....

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Sabot

The answer has always been why don't you use RSS to read C9 on your PDA?

But you can't post! This is the only issue with RSS. Now perhaps with SSE we will be able to do just that?

But it won't be all that soon, I don't think SSE is quite ready yet, so we'll have to wait.

• User profile image
    Tensor

DevilsRejection wrote:
    PDA != surfing device

Laptop = Surfing Device

To each his own!

I surf on my phone all the time. The secret is not to use IE mobile because it cant render most pages, and many pages turn it away as an unsuported browser. Invest in Opera for Smartphone - its very good.

EDIT - havent tried it with windows mobile 5 so maybe things have changed.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    The reason I bring that up is because we just bought a company that is supposed to be able to take normal HTML and break it down to WAP and WML standard, so maybe it'll convert for you?

That's a dirty hack, if web sites and mobile devices fully took advantage of XHTML then there wouldn't be any need for WML or "converters".

• User profile image
    hurcane

Tensor wrote:

havent tried it with windows mobile 5 so maybe things have changed.

They haven't. My iPAQ hx2490, which runs WM5 has no major improvements to pocket IE.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

whats wrong with downloading the file and playing it back in WMP?

i usually copy the videos to my MMC card then play them back when i want.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

hurcane wrote:
    Tensor wrote:
    havent tried it with windows mobile 5 so maybe things have changed.

They haven't. My iPAQ hx2490, which runs WM5 has no major improvements to pocket IE.

PocketPC 2000's PIE is a variant of IE3.0 (it doesn't even support host headers, OMG!)

PocketPC 2002's (and Smartphone) PIE was a port of IE4.0 that supported handheld stylesheets.

I'm assuming that PocketPC 2003/2005's PIE was a port of IE5.0 or 5.5, right?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    I'm assuming that PocketPC 2003/2005's PIE was a port of IE5.0 or 5.5, right?

As far as I could tell using the emulator images from the WM5 SDK, it's exactly the same as the IE in WM2003, based on IE4 (at least it still has the MSIE4 user agent string).

• User profile image
    Harlequin

PPC doesn't do stuff like JavaScript, which limits it. And I believe it's IE only does HTML 3.2(?).

The tough part about detecting it for your own website is that Mac's also have PPC in it's browser name Smiley PocketPC/PowerPC

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote: The reason I bring that up is because we just bought a company that is supposed to be able to take normal HTML and break it down to WAP and WML standard, so maybe it'll convert for you?

That's a dirty hack, if web sites and mobile devices fully took advantage of XHTML then there wouldn't be any need for WML or "converters".

True, but they don't so it's a useless argument.

• User profile image
    clintsinger

As I had mentioned before is regarding the streaming video.  While I do have an issue with the pages within the site, my biggest problem is with the video themselves.  A windows mobile 5 device has a Media Player 10 compatible media player so it qualfies for the "Plays for Sure" moniker but when plays for sure only plays at a crippled bitrate, I am not too impressed. 

From what I can gather the streaming server detects that I am running a protable device and scales the quality down.  The interesting thing is that I set an option in the Windows Media player to say that I am a 1 Mbps connection and I turned off the "Detect connection speed" but still the video comes to me at a reduced bit rate.

Perplexed

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote: The reason I bring that up is because we just bought a company that is supposed to be able to take normal HTML and break it down to WAP and WML standard, so maybe it'll convert for you?

True, but they don't so it's a useless argument.

Modern ones do. WAP was developed for phones like the Nokia 7110 (back in 1999), times move on, but I guess it didn't make business sense to rewrite all their services for modern platforms.

Like how Adobe got rich with Acrobat, we're beginning to see hacks like "Mobile Controls" and the converter you talked about.

• User profile image
    An_Angel

Are you sure you only want it to be PPC friendly... Surely you mean device friendly?  I.e. PPC, Smartphone, Symbian, Palm, Blackberry.... supported.... So that it is platform ubiquitous.

I know that's what I would want to do to it... But yes I agree it needs to support devices... I mean most of us are out and about travelling all over the place these days. 

It just makes sense to be able to get C9 anywhere on any device...  Come on Microsoft, you know you want to do it!!!

Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.