Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

HONDA is playing with robots. Stupid!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • iStation

I hope  they use their resources for improving their cars not for their robots.
    SONY once did that and lost their real jobs.
    ASIMO...New version... can run at 6 km/Hr and serve coffee...  Perplexed

http://news.com.com/2300-11394_3-5993015-1.html

• geekling

You Japanese people are pretty angst-ridden.

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Honda researches robotics so that they can improve the robots they use in their assembly lines.

• Detroit Muscle

I used to write software for manufacturing electronics. Robots are everywhere in those plants.

• Karim

Droid Commander: Destroy all non-Honda vehicles.

Droid: Roger roger.

Droid Commander: And then serve coffee.

• iStation

Industrial robots make money,
    but
    humanoid robots waste money! Tongue Out

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Not if humanoid robots are used for industrial purposes.  With your line of reasoning you could claim all research is a waste of money--  but it's the only way to make progress.

• iStation

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Not if humanoid robots are used for industrial purposes.  With your line of reasoning you could claim all research is a waste of money--  but it's the only way to make progress.

Well, I cannot see any industrial purposes in humanoid robots such as ASIMO. They will shrink the project under share holder's pressure in the near future as SONY did.
    Maybe, it is a good research thema for universities to understand human. Tongue Out  

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

A humanoid robot is more flexible for industrial use than a fixed robot that you see on an assembly line today.  It could do tasks that current robots can't yet do, and has the advantage of being able to work and communicate with real people.

At any rate, Honda has the resources and experience to work on ASIMO because of their work on industrial robots.  They've been working on the humanoid robot project for about 20 years (the first prototype in the project was released in 1986).

Universities do robotics projects, but they don't have the money, resources, or experience to be able to do this kind of project as quickly or thoroughly as Honda has.

• Cybermagell​an

Plus once they are done with perfecting that...they can move this to the home scene...

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Yes, in its current incarnation, it is geared entirely for commercial and consumer work (like handing out food, giving tours, operating as a receptionist).  If Honda's research can make this kind of technology affordable, Honda could easily become one of the most profitable companies on the planet (not that it isn't already).

• leighsword

In USA , universities do research, so US has a powerful education.
    In Japan, enterprises do research, so Japan has a powerful economy.
    In China, only the government do research, so China was already dead in the research area, but it does not mean people of Chinese unable to do research, you know, tons of Chinese did a great work in US.

• iStation

I think their share holders allow HONDA to spend money for such stupid humanoid robots only when their car business is in good condition. The market of humanoid robots is rather small and won't expand as you think.
    We have already many humanoids in our consumer markets but we get bored with them.
    Maybe only RTOS venders such as WindRiver will promote the market.

Photos: Tokyo robot-fest | CNET News.com
    http://news.com.com/Photos+Tokyo+robot-fest/2300-11394_3-5977169.html

• Andrei P

I for one welcome A.W.E.S.O.M.-O. Honda says the technology inside it is going to be implemented in cars, mainly for safety purposes.

• iStation

Andrei P. wrote:

I for one welcome A.W.E.S.O.M.-O. Honda says the technology inside it is going to be implemented in cars, mainly for safety purposes.

How about leasing a "ASIMO" for your chauffeur? 
    A direct implementation in your car!
    Hehe... Tongue Out

P.S.
    I wonder whose CPUs are used for ASIMO?

• Tensor

Karim wrote:

Chrous line: "Dream, the impossible Dream..."

• Tommy Lee

I don't think this is stupid at all. Yes, there is a considerable investment in research for these robots, but I am sure they have thought through all the patent/trademark stuff that others are not where they will make a killing once robots become the norm.

I for one would totally dig having an affordable robot to take care of the mundane things in my life (e.g. get the newspaper, make coffee, clean the house, etc.).

• iStation

Tommy Lee wrote:
    I don't think this is stupid at all. Yes, there is a considerable investment in research for these robots, but I am sure they have thought through all the patent/trademark stuff that others are not where they will make a killing once robots become the norm.

I for one would totally dig having an affordable robot to take care of the mundane things in my life (e.g. get the newspaper, make coffee, clean the house, etc.).

Special purpose robots are already on the market!
    How about this one.
    Pimp my Roomba | CNET News.com
    http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-5760033-1.html

If I were a stock holder of HONDA, I would say they should devote their resources to the core business.
    We soon get bored with humanoid robots.
    Let's see what happened to SONY.
    Many SONY's stock holders have suffered from the "SONY Shock!"
    Cool

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.