Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Live Windows CD

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Gill Bates

A common topic on Slashdot is the fact that many Linux distributions create Live CDs that can boot Linux and yields a desktop anywhere. The first time I ever saw this was when a friend of mine was playing around with Slackware Linux...back in 1994, I think.

Some people use this in combination with portable media like a USB Zip drive or a USB thumb drive to keep settings and other stuff.

Is this something Microsoft could do with Windows? It'd be great to just sit down and boot into Windows XP wherever I want.

• User profile image
    Knute

Gill Bates wrote:
    <p>Is this something Microsoft could do with Windows? It'd be great to just sit down and boot into Windows XP wherever I want.</p>

Yes you can do that right now using Remote Connection. Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

Microsoft already has. There is a minimum version of windows you can get called "The Windows Preinstall Environment", it is a cut down version of XP that can do some basic things.

For more information look here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

• User profile image
    Jiří Macich ml

Windows XP Live Edition? This is very good idea!

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

If you were on a corporate network you could, of course, PXE boot to whatever OS you wanted (that was available) and be up in 5 minutes. Not as good as a "Live" edition (which is a very cool idea), but not bad.

After all, I can't really see myself using a Live edition on a regular basis. What does your friend use it for?

• User profile image
    vanlandw

i have used knoppix for awhile if i need some linux stuff

i have remote desktop setup at home on my webserver and it's wonderful

a live windows cd would be great for at work for troubleshooting dead boxes or to get data grabbed off them

• User profile image
    Tejaaa

I have used PE builder to create my own bootable CD, works great and if you look around you will be able to find some other resources too... I will let you do your research.

Tejas Patel

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.