Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Live Windows CD

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Gill Bates

A common topic on Slashdot is the fact that many Linux distributions create Live CDs that can boot Linux and yields a desktop anywhere. The first time I ever saw this was when a friend of mine was playing around with Slackware Linux...back in 1994, I think.

Some people use this in combination with portable media like a USB Zip drive or a USB thumb drive to keep settings and other stuff.

Is this something Microsoft could do with Windows? It'd be great to just sit down and boot into Windows XP wherever I want.

• User profile image
    Knute

Gill Bates wrote:
    <p>Is this something Microsoft could do with Windows? It'd be great to just sit down and boot into Windows XP wherever I want.</p>

Yes you can do that right now using Remote Connection. Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

Microsoft already has. There is a minimum version of windows you can get called "The Windows Preinstall Environment", it is a cut down version of XP that can do some basic things.

For more information look here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

• User profile image
    Jiří Macich ml

Windows XP Live Edition? This is very good idea!

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

If you were on a corporate network you could, of course, PXE boot to whatever OS you wanted (that was available) and be up in 5 minutes. Not as good as a "Live" edition (which is a very cool idea), but not bad.

After all, I can't really see myself using a Live edition on a regular basis. What does your friend use it for?

• User profile image
    vanlandw

i have used knoppix for awhile if i need some linux stuff

i have remote desktop setup at home on my webserver and it's wonderful

a live windows cd would be great for at work for troubleshooting dead boxes or to get data grabbed off them

• User profile image
    Tejaaa

I have used PE builder to create my own bootable CD, works great and if you look around you will be able to find some other resources too... I will let you do your research.

Tejas Patel

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.