Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Kong (the moovie, not the game)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

I have never seen as many positive reviews for a moovie in my entire life.

The only bad review I found merely stated there was too much sympathy for the ape.

Anyone see it yet?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JohnAskew wrote:
    I have never seen as many positive reviews for a moovie in my entire life.

So you're saying Hollywood finally released a good film?

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:
    JohnAskew wrote:I have never seen as many positive reviews for a moovie in my entire life.

So you're saying Hollywood finally released a good film?
    Sigh... not Hollywood, but New Zealand.

• User profile image
    irascian

Movie reviewers just follow each other these days. They've been hyping this movie up for months - long before they could have had any idea what it would be like.

The only people I know who've seen it all thought it wasn't a bad movie but was overly-indulgent and way too long. Jackson has the habit of "why show one thing once when you can show it three times".

I prefer to use imdb for reviews based on the number of voters. It's interesting that in the UK the reviews for Kong have been universally fantastic while for Narnia they have been almost the opposite. Check out imdb and the two are pretty close together.

Personally a film has to be REALLY good for me to want to sit in a darkened theatre for over 3 hours with no break. Friends whose opinions I respect all felt the movie was seriously over-hyped. I'll wait for the DVD which I can at least pause.

• User profile image
    jamie

one cool thing is aparently a dvd about the making of the film will be released really soon - if not already.  and the game is already out

so he can effectively charge/make money off the stuff that is usually free on the final dvd - before hand.  interesting

he also had a blog of all the filming - and people were worried he'd reveal too much - but it has created a huge buzz

• User profile image
    Svendawg

Haven't seen it and probably won't until it hits DVD.  Giant apes are just not by thing... 

This is more my taste...
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0401855/

• User profile image
    irascian

The two-DVD set comprises most of the free weekly production diaries that were hosted on KongIsKing.net to help pre-sell the movie to LOTR fans.

It's a pretty cynical move - presumably because Universal decided they needed to make more money when the movie went more than 60 million dollars over its agreed budget, and this was the best way of getting it. The KongIsKing.net site itself was unhappy that with virtually no notice they were told they had to take down the files they'd been happily hosting for several months so that Universal could shift some copies. The DVD set is out here and according to friends in the trade "flying off the shelves", presumably because people have fallen for the "Limited edition" schtick and all the hype.

One wonders if the 10 minute featurette on Howard SHore's music is still on there (he was sacked nearly a year after he started on the soundtrack and had recorded it, just 8 weeks before the movie's release).

I don't know what's more depressing - that Hollywood movie companies can now "sell" their advertising material to seemingly gullible fans desperate to have whatever is being hyped in the film mags, or the fact that Kong has been everywhere, and on the fronts of all the big movie review mags not once but several times throughout the year.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

irascian wrote:
    The two-DVD set comprises most of the free weekly production diaries that were hosted on KongIsKing.net to help pre-sell the movie to LOTR fans.

It's a pretty cynical move - presumably because Universal decided they needed to make more money when the movie went more than 60 million dollars over its agreed budget, and this was the best way of getting it. The KongIsKing.net site itself was unhappy that with virtually no notice they were told they had to take down the files they'd been happily hosting for several months so that Universal could shift some copies. The DVD set is out here and according to friends in the trade "flying off the shelves", presumably because people have fallen for the "Limited edition" schtick and all the hype.

One wonders if the 10 minute featurette on Howard SHore's music is still on there (he was sacked nearly a year after he started on the soundtrack and had recorded it, just 8 weeks before the movie's release).

I don't know what's more depressing - that Hollywood movie companies can now "sell" their advertising material to seemingly gullible fans desperate to have whatever is being hyped in the film mags, or the fact that Kong has been everywhere, and on the fronts of all the big movie review mags not once but several times throughout the year.

Monkey hater.   Wink

• User profile image
    AndyC

The best this about Jackson's movie is the inevitable showings of the original on (I think) UK TV Gold. Sure the monkey looks fake, but it's a classic nonetheless. Smiley

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

While we're talking about Kong...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4525318.stm

• User profile image
    Minh

PerfectPhase wrote:
    While we're talking about Kong...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4525318.stm
    As if the Xbox can afford more bad press. I played Kong at Best Buy, and I thought, I can SO see the polygons. Cross-platform in this case means lowest common, I think.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

irascian wrote:
    I prefer to use imdb for reviews based on the number of voters. It's interesting that in the UK the reviews for Kong have been universally fantastic while for Narnia they have been almost the opposite. Check out imdb and the two are pretty close together.

I use Rotten Tomatoes for new movies.

IMDB, or Yahoo! for that matter, is good - but they need a certain number of votes be be really accurate. Excellent for movies on DVD/Video, for example, but less good for just released movies.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I saw King Kong in a theater last night and was so-so about it, personally.

It does have great action and fabulous effects, but the characters are not developed enough and there are some slow places.

Worst of all was the scene where Kong and the damsel in distress reunite in NYC (good grief, the corn overfloweth).

One negative review I read on rottentomatoes.com sums it up:

"Everyone loves the ape".

It is the event of the season movie-wise, but LOTR was better all around; each of them.

• User profile image
    Shiv

JohnAskew wrote:

One negative review I read on rottentomatoes.com sums it up:

"Everyone loves the ape".

This reminded me of a movie i saw long time back. It was called " King Kong Vs Godzilla " . i heard that it had two climax . one for american audience where king kong wins and another for japanese in which godzilla wins. don't know if it was true. it isn't in imdb's trivia though

*EDIT: this is in the message boards as well and a guy says that this was just a rumor.he says " King Kong was still more popular at the time, so Toho wanted him to basically win" Wink

• User profile image
    j0217995

The movie is too long, an hour getting to the island, an hour at the island and an hour in New York. The problem was in the theatre I was at, i bet only 6 or 7 people understood all the refrences to Heart of Darkness. But once again a slow moving movie and I found myself looking at my watch wondering when would it end. The better movie IMHO is Narnia

• User profile image
    PeterH

j0217995 wrote:
    The movie is too long, an hour getting to the island, an hour at the island and an hour in New York. The problem was in the theatre I was at, i bet only 6 or 7 people understood all the refrences to Heart of Darkness. But once again a slow moving movie and I found myself looking at my watch wondering when would it end. The better movie IMHO is Narnia

I have to agree that the film could have been a bit shorter. They should have left out some of the side stories (i.e. the mysterious ship crew). I was also left wondering how they got Kong to New York Perplexed

Nevertheless I thought it was an excellent movie, the Kong character and his relationship with Ann Darrow was amazing.

I prefered King Kong to Narnia simply because the characters had more depth (except for Edmund in Narnia). Both were good christmas movies.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.