Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Wanted to share my profile but can't :-)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Be#

Dear Mr. Webmaster,

Just this little sidenote: I luckily registered my most favorite username for Channel9: Be#. However, once I try to edit my profile the Profile link on the top right links to

http://channel9.msdn.com/Niners/Be#

The response is of the systems is:

The user you requested cannot be found.

I swear, I'm here! Not hiding! Smiley If you find some time, can you look into it?! Smiley

Regards
    Be#

• User profile image
    PaoloM

While this is an interesting little bug in the selection of valid characters for user names in Ch9, try to URLEncode the last character and see what happens.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM wrote:
    While this is an interesting little bug in the selection of valid characters for user names in Ch9, try to URLEncode the last character and see what happens.

Uhm, that's because "#" is the "jump to element" URI segment so it isn't sent to the server. (All it gets is "/Niners/Be")

You'll want to URL Encode it first.

• User profile image
    Be#

Thanks for responding Wink ! Obviously I know about the meaning of # appended to an URL... I thought it might be interesting for the Channel9 team to either

- filter username containing special characters like #
    - urlencode the dynamic parts of links automatically

No offense ment here. If for #ed usernames get forbidden in the future, I hope they let me mine. Smiley It's this sense of uniqueness you know. Smiley

Just kidding.

So stay# !

Actually has anybody noticed the poster in Anders Heljsberg's office in the LINQ video?

• User profile image
    Maurits
  • User profile image
    Be#

Ups. You disclosed me. I thought I could post anonymously forever... Wink

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Just for future reference, you probably don't want to create usernames/passwords that have special characters such as that in them.

• User profile image
    Maurits

I suppose my a/../.. account is bad too then Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Be# wrote:
    So stay#

"Stay Hash"? Wink

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

No, it's stay POUND!  ... Stay number?  Hmmm.....

If only there were some resource for this language barrier... How sharp would one have to be to figure this one out... Much contemplation to follow.

• User profile image
    Be#

How about "stay nice"? Wink

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

SlackmasterK wrote:
    No, it's stay POUND!  ... Stay number?  Hmmm.....

If only there were some resource for this language barrier... How sharp would one have to be to figure this one out... Much contemplation to follow.

I always call it hash, except when I'm refering to the language C# then I pronounce it 'See Sharp'. Pound just sounds too wierd.

My being an Aussie, I'm supposed to say that gaol is a prison, but that is too wierd for my liking also so I go with jail.

Anyway, maybe all special characters should be banned from being used when signing up to the C9 website, or not.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Wells

I call it hash, why on earth do people call it pound?  £ is pound, surely?

With regards to the user name, I don't see why c9 should ban any special characters, as long as you encode them properly.  Then again, defence in depth and all that shizzle Wink

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Loadsgood wrote:
    My being an Aussie, I'm supposed to say that gaol is a prison, but that is too wierd for my liking also so I go with jail.

I just call it an "amoeba", since ours only has one cell.

Sorry.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Wells wrote:

I call it hash, why on earth do people call it pound?  £ is pound, surely?

With regards to the user name, I don't see why c9 should ban any special characters, as long as you encode them properly.  Then again, defence in depth and all that shizzle

It comes from the telephony world.  I don't know why, but I've always heard it called 'pound' as in "to hold for another 30 minutes, press the # key."

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.