Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

External Hard Drive

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    chemstudent

Does anyone have issues with Windows XP SP2 recognizing external hard drives (USB)?  It seems that once I have unplugged the device that it takes a series of steps to get it to recognize the device again.  I have to change USB cables and flip the device on and off.  I hear the chime in XP that is sees the device but then I hear the chime that says the device has be unplugged again. 

I have read in some other forums that all seem to have the same issue, but no one seems to know a solution. 

I have checked Mircosoft's support site, but nothing is of help.

Thanks,
    David

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

chemstudent wrote:
    Does anyone have issues with Windows XP SP2 recognizing external hard drives (USB)?  It seems that once I have unplugged the device that it takes a series of steps to get it to recognize the device again.  I have to change USB cables and flip the device on and off.  I hear the chime in XP that is sees the device but then I hear the chime that says the device has be unplugged again. 

I have read in some other forums that all seem to have the same issue, but no one seems to know a solution. 

Thanks,
    David

I had the same problem but with firewire instead.  I solved it by shifting to USB, but that caused a different problem.  MY motherboard seemed to want to boot from the external drive and would not allow me to change it.  The only solution then, was that I had to manually turn the drive off before a reboot.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had this problem and/or a solution.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I had a similar problem on my laptop, but with my PCMCIA Wireless Adapter. If I just unplugged it and then put it back in, it would think it was a completely new device and prompt me for the drivers, which sounds like what is happening to you. Do you use the... ah drats whats it called now... little icon near the clock when you have USB/Firewire hardware attached which allows you to safely disconnect them? Its what I had to use in order to remedy my problem.

By the time I figured it out, the wireless adapter was called Wireless Network Adapter 20.

• User profile image
    Aptly Goodie

I used to have a problem of that sort with my laptop format external USB HDD. Turns out there wasn't enough power so while the controller was recognized by Windows, it failed to used it because the HDD failed to spin to operational speed. I bought another one with dual USB cable (one for data and one for power) and never had that problem anymore.

Yeah, though they said external power may be needed, it's safe to say it is required.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Some times PnP assignes the drive a letter which is in used by a network drive mapping, so you need to go into disk managment and change the drive letter assignment to one that's not in use, Windows normally remembers the assignment... hth Big Smile

• User profile image
    chemstudent

Aptly Goodie wrote:
    I used to have a problem of that sort with my laptop format external USB HDD. Turns out there wasn't enough power so while the controller was recognized by Windows, it failed to used it because the HDD failed to spin to operational speed. I bought another one with dual USB cable (one for data and one for power) and never had that problem anymore.

Yeah, though they said external power may be needed, it's safe to say it is required.

I have an Adaptec External case that came with an external power supply.  Specifically this one: 
    Adaptec Drive
    I wonder if something could be the matter with it?

Kryptos wrote:
    Some times PnP assignes the drive a letter which is in used by a network drive mapping, so you need to go into disk managment and change the drive letter assignment to one that's not in use, Windows normally remembers the assignment

Every time the drive has come up it has come up with the same letter designation as before.  So I know Windows can see and use it.  I have used it before, but it seems to be a miracle to work again at times. 

• User profile image
    chemstudent

Does anyone else have any advice/troubleshooting tips for this??  I am about ready to toss the external hard drive out into the street. 

I have tried unplugging both power and USB and reconnecting them.  Everything I can think of and Windows can still not recognize it.

Thanks

• User profile image
    Maurits

Contact the drive manufacturer's tech support.  They may be more helpful.

• User profile image
    chemstudent

After reading through the windows.xp.hardware group, I came across someone who suggeseted removing some registry keys. 

I removed the one he said, and it did not work.  I then went to
    HLKM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
    and deleted all references to the external hard drive after changing the permissions to allow me to do so. 

I also went under HLKM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB and found the keys associated with the USB to IDE value. 

After restarting, I plugged in the drive and it worked.  I have been able to stop it, unplug the cable and plug it back and work. 

Hopefully it was just a corrupt key.  Who knows.

• User profile image
    Hockey Mom

Did anyone get back to you on your problem? It seems to me that I am experiencing the same problem as you? If you received a response,could you please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

chemstudent wrote:

Thanks,
    David

I once knew a guy who legitimately acquired something called "Windows Nemesis".  It was an XP Pro SP2 ISO with activation disabled, regkey bypassed, Office 2003 Pro (a full third of the disc!), and some other nice stuff.  This guy I once knew had trouble using a thumbdrive on Nemesis, but not on a normal XP install.  About the closest analogy I can come up with.

You'd think with the amount of hardware I have installed I'd have more problems than anyone... but man, sometimes I sit back and listen to other people's issues, and it feels so refreshing.

• User profile image
    arunpv

SlackmasterK wrote:
    chemstudent wrote: Does anyone have issues with Windows XP SP2 recognizing external hard drives (USB)?  It seems that once I have unplugged the device that it takes a series of steps to get it to recognize the device again.  I have to change USB cables and flip the device on and off.  I hear the chime in XP that is sees the device but then I hear the chime that says the device has be unplugged again. 

Thanks,
    David

I once knew a guy who legitimately acquired something called "Windows Nemesis".  It was an XP Pro SP2 ISO with activation disabled, regkey bypassed, Office 2003 Pro (a full third of the disc!), and some other nice stuff.  This guy I once knew had trouble using a thumbdrive on Nemesis, but not on a normal XP install.  About the closest analogy I can come up with.

You'd think with the amount of hardware I have installed I'd have more problems than anyone... but man, sometimes I sit back and listen to other people's issues, and it feels so refreshing.

I have a USB drive with 120GB harddrive on XP pro SP2. On my work pc it works everytime i plug in but sometimes on my home pc the system just freezes for no reason when i plug in. I unplug it restart computer and then plug back in it will work. I have no clue what's wrong. I thought it had something to do with the drive but i don't know.

• User profile image
    room237

Ok now listen all very carefully! I had spent around 5 hours or more trying to sort this real frustrating problem out. I have an external Hard drive which on connecting to my P.C refused to work. Basically the Mass storage device was not being recognised no matter what i tried i could not get this to work. I read up on going into the Bios and all that stuff and thought how the hell has this fault developed. Now when connecting the device to my other P.C there are no problems.

On the p.c i had the problems i connected a USB hub and ended up with the same problem! Same error message that the device was not being recognised.

One thing about the net is how frustrating it is when you have a problem and all you get is plenty of people who think they know all about computers but when it really comes down to it they know nothing.

On sorting this problem i tried to find a site i could share my experience with and found many sites very frustrating in that they wanted to know the ins and outs of my life on signing up! WHY? I can see there are many people out there who want help and i have to sit through all this red tape ticker just to answer a simple problem and try to steer many of these people away from those who are attemting to provide information to go in and tamper with the Bios! Stupid stuff stay out of there unless you know what you are doing there are plenty of nuts on the net who want you to destroy files. One guy i had read had been told by a so called computer store that they would have to reformat their drive only to find after this lenghthy process they ended up with more problems then they started out with.

OK the cure for this frustrating problem is the most simple that man could wish for! In fact it is so stupid you would not even give it a thought. However before telling you i want you to understand that you may have a problem in the Bios but before going there try this neat simple little trick! Believe me its magic.
    OK for PC Towers XP etc unlplug from the mains and leave the P.C to stand for approx 25 mins (10 secs is not usually long enough) If you have a Laptop which has the same problem then you must also remove the mains lead and allow to stand for approx 25 mins. This also means removing the battery. After the elapsed time plug the mains lead back in and then connect the offending mass storage.
    I will be very suprised if this does not work for you! But hey if it does just give me shout to tell me how you got on!
    Brilliant site easy to sign up to I hope i have at least helped many!

• User profile image
    djcobra

i tried that i unplugged and took out everything for 30-40 mins but it still does not seem to work - it says safely remove hardware at the bottom of task manager and the hardrives making a noise and the lights on so i know for a fact the hardrive is not faulty. Also in device manager it recognises my hardrive in disc drives but why not in disk management ?

i got a 80gb maxtor external hardrive firewire .. what do you mean by problem in bios ?

• User profile image
    melanie

My external hard drive has been fine for six months, but now my pc won't recognise it. The Device Manager on my PC shows an exclamation mark against USB device to indicate that it is not working properly. But I have no idea how or if I can fix this. My external drive is a Freecom 80GB and contains about 75GB of files and my PC runs on Windows ME. Hoping someone can help me retrieve my files! 

• User profile image
    Minh

melanie wrote:
    My external hard drive has been fine for six months, but now my pc won't recognise it. The Device Manager on my PC shows an exclamation mark against USB device to indicate that it is not working properly. But I have no idea how or if I can fix this. My external drive is a Freecom 80GB and contains about 75GB of files and my PC runs on Windows ME. Hoping someone can help me retrieve my files! 
    Try plugging it into another USB port - or try a different compute all together -Lastly try a different hard drive caSe.

• User profile image
    jamie

my Vantec Nex-Star 2 (200 gig) external is spotty as well.  sometimes it works - sometimes it doesnt ( Drive is not formatted) - play around with it reboot - its all back.

needless to say reading all the above posts - windows must have some issues with these drives as many people are having problems

• User profile image
    bob the pc repairman

HI

I've been reading what you've all said and here is how I solved my external disk drive not being fully recognised problem.

THE SOLUTION IS TOWARDS THE END UNDER THE HEADING SOLUTION.

THE PROBLEM IS HERE

I included the problem so that you can check if your difficulties are similar to mine. You don't neccesarily have to read this part. It may be best to just read the solution first and then check to see if the problem I had is similar to yours and therefore the solution I found maybe worth trying.

Just a quick preview of the difficulties I had:
    I have two computers both running windows 2000 Pro. I am also install on partitions.  My external drive is an akasa integral esata 3.5 hard drive enclosure with seperate power supply.  It can take ide sata and esata 3.5 inch drives.

( fyi  not relevant but...I chose this because I currently have ide hard drives but will eventually upgrade to sata. Also I bought a  sata drive by mistake when I was just starting out in computing. when I upgrade the large ide drive I now have goes in the enclosure UC. Also the external power supply is a must, I can't get enough power to my HD ( or practically anythingh else )using my laptops USB 2 ports)

I installed the sata drive and powered it up connected it up to my desktop all was lovely. It worked I formated it in disc manager (go to >admin tools >computer manager) and set up two partitions ( probably one partition to many but old habit etc). I installed the hard drive on the second partition of my laptop and the hard drive worked fine. I then installed the hard drive on the first partition of my laptop. That was when the problems started. First It would install and recogise it under "device manager" but "my computer" said it as an unpartitioned unused unformated disk drive ( althout curiously got the assigned drive letter correct). The drive was NOT recognized by disk manager. The drive WAS however recognised as a "usb mass storage device" in unplug eject hardware icon.

I tried  all know possible combination of switching it on of unplugging and rebooting and still couldn't get the thing to work for me. I checked that the machine was still working on my desktop and yess that was still fine so it wasn't the drive.  well you know what they say ... IF all else fails read the manual
    - checked the manual , I'd played it by the book so all should be fine. check the microsoft website and nothing worthwhile, checked with the correct akasa website ( fyi - I checked www.akasa.com and got nothing, turns out the proper site address www.akasa.com.tw ( and not /tw either) someone is doing some really lame ad based cyber squating which I think is deceptive, low and pathetic) Theres an new updated version of the manual and it says that you've got make sure the jumper pins set the drive as master.
    -----------------------------------------

SO THE SOLUTION - SET THE JUMPER PINS TO MASTER

I solved the problem by setting the jumper pins on the sata drive in the hard drive enclosure to master.

one last thing
    If you have never set jumper pins before don't worry its the easy to do. You will need to consult the manual for your hard drive. Which you should be able to find over the internet. Because the drive I am using was SATA the manual didn't mention anything about setting the jumper pins for master and slave. However it did have something about setting the jumper pins for master and slave on a nearly identical PATA ( or ide) model. The jumper setting were thankfully the same for sata as they were for IDE. The drive is working again and I am happy.  I hope this helps

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.