Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Best Technology of 2005

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

What would you say is the best technology for this year, Web Site, Application, Service? And why do you believe that?

Here are a few that I'm thinking of...

Digg, Technorati, Flickr, Live.com, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Vista, Google Base, AOL.com, Flock, BubbleShare, Slide, Del.icio.us, Gada.be, etc...

Just what would you find yourself shocked if tomorrow it didn't exist anymore? What do you think has done the most good for the Internet?

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

Text to speech and text translation is going places. This will be a big part of 2006 as well.

Adobe/Macromedia Flex/Flash The first and still the only vectorial developement platform for rich engaging web based user experiances.

RSS and all it's hybrids, Expect it to explode almost as much in 2006. I see this helping allot of consumers out in allot of ways.

to name a few

• User profile image
    Manip

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Digg, Technorati, Flickr, Live.com, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Vista, Google Base, AOL.com, Flock, BubbleShare, Slide, Del.icio.us, Gada.be, etc...

Windows Live Messenger and Windows Vista are both not out and both not that great by any standard let alone years best. I have Windows Live Messenger beta installed, and other than a name change and a few minor options added it isn't at all special.

And Windows Vista is a bloated OS that might end up failing, Windows 2000 style, when it does finally ship.

Other than Live.com I've never heard of any of the others... I'm sure they are important to the blogging community however; even if totally unimportant to everyone else. And live.com isn't at all good...

Best Technology of 2005? None. 

• User profile image
    Steve411

Sourcecode wrote:
    Text to speech and text translation is going places. This will be a big part of 2006 as well.

Adobe/Macromedia Flex/Flash The first and still the only vectorial developement platform for rich engaging web based user experiances.

RSS and all it's hybrids, Expect it to explode almost as much in 2006. I see this helping allot of consumers out in allot of ways.

to name a few

Mhh mhhh. Smiley

- Steve

• User profile image
    Manip

I can see AJAX getting replaced with something completely new in the next couple of years. Perhaps Flash could fill that role, but if you ask me the flash client is very poor... It might do full 3D but more than likely you'll see quazi-2D/3D (2D + Shadows).

I don't think WinFS will be that technology... First off it is Microsoft's and nobody else's, secondly they aren't publishing a standard, thirdly nothing at all supports it at the moment... And lastly it has no granularity and thus doesn't "fix" the mobile device problems that are only getting more and more problematic.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Best technology for 2005 are advances made in cancer therapies, but that is off topic.

RSS is nice, but the real creme de la creme, imho, is Google's search engine.

Maybe next is some fabulous search capabilities via XML that is the next generation of Google's marketshare? WinFS across the internet?

• User profile image
    Shiv

Cybermagellan wrote:

Here are a few that I'm thinking of...

Just what would you find yourself shocked if tomorrow it didn't exist anymore? What do you think has done the most good for the Internet?

well if i had been shocked everytime i got disconnected( sometimes for entire day or two) i wouldn't be here now;) . the important technology that i feel i got was (so called )broadband or atleast cheap and Better Internet connectivity. but Broadband has definitly become more and more accessible here in india So my choice will be "Broadband to the mass " for the Technology of 2005

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

JohnAskew wrote:
    the real creme de la creme, imho, is Google's search engine.

I just read a blurb predicting Google stock to lose %50 of its value in 2006.

This guy says Open Source was the big winner in 2005... hmm.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

For the internet I believe the introduction of interactive map services are the best. I travel a lot so these maps are a necessity on any trip.

The best technology? I am surprised in your list Cyber you do not mention anything from Apple. Apple has single handedly changed the way the consumer purchases music. They are now doing the same for video. I believe the itunes/ipod is hands down best tech of the year.

• User profile image
    Manip

harumscarum wrote:
    For the internet I believe the introduction of interactive map services are the best. I travel a lot so these maps are a necessity on any trip.

Actually I have to agree with that... We have seen some amazing things in both Google's and Microsoft's mapping services. Although they both still suck, they are very impressive and show some real promise.

And you can't say that it isn't innovative, because we never saw it before and it was technically possible for a very long time.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    fatfrank

Manip wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote: Digg, Technorati, Flickr, Live.com, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Vista, Google Base, AOL.com, Flock, BubbleShare, Slide, Del.icio.us, Gada.be, etc...

Windows Live Messenger and Windows Vista are both not out and both not that great by any standard let alone years best. I have Windows Live Messenger beta installed, and other than a name change and a few minor options added it isn't at all special.

And Windows Vista is a bloated OS that might end up failing, Windows 2000 style, when it does finally ship.

Other than Live.com I've never heard of any of the others... I'm sure they are important to the blogging community however; even if totally unimportant to everyone else. And live.com isn't at all good...

Best Technology of 2005? None. 

So how exactly did w2k fail?? It was a seachange from the server perspective - miles ahead of NT4, and finally put the nail in the netware coffin. What about the adoption, and business benefits, of technologies such as AD, group policy, WMI/WSH, Dfs, WMS, etc. The improvements on clustering and availability. The in-box inclusion of RADIUS, LDAP, a DNS service that was a couple of years above its time, PKI, etc? Then look at laptops - did you ever run NT on a laptop? Hibernation, plug and play, NTFS, file system encryption, none of that stuff was in w9x. I guess the same applies to desktops but it is more evident in terms of productivity benefits when you look at how it transformed laptop usage and deployment in 2000-2001. Then XP came along and prettied things up mostly.

I'm interested in how you perceived that as a failure...

Anyway my vote for the best technology - has to be http://www.sitespaces.net/ of course Mad

• User profile image
    andur

Best technology would have to be .Net 2.0. I like the new additions to to the .net languages, particularly vb.net, and how managed c++ has been improved. The assorted fixes and improvements to Winforms were an added bonus (that scrollToCaret bug with the RichTextBox where it had to have the focus to work in .net 1.1 was finally fixed!)

Best beta technology would be directx 10, but its not finished yet. Then again, I'm a bit biased here. Can't wait to get some actual dx10 hardware Smiley.

Best application would be Visual Studio 2005 hands down.

Best website would of course be Channel9 Smiley.

Though, in regards to your internet question, I think the internet's been sliding steadily downhills for the last bunch of years. There's been far too much focus on making everything look nice, instead of just presenting the information that I want, and letting me get out of there. There's also too many things being done as a website that should be done as standard applications.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

JohnAskew wrote:
    RSS is nice, but the real creme de la creme, imho, is Google's search engine.

IMHO. The problem is that the old search and indexing techniques are becoming irrelevant, page ranking based on links is not the solution. I see leaps and bounds happening in 2006-07 because of social tagging, wiki, collaborative rating systems, that kind of thing replacing the conventional current page ranking methods. However I don’t think Google’s business model is ready for it, so; we will se some big stuff happen in search, but; it won’t be from Google.

Relevance of data and search results can not be based on a monetary value (sponsored links, ad sense etc..) It’s not the quantity of data but rather the quality of the data you search, this can not be done with an algorithm. It requires human intervention, trust, and collaboration. Whole new business models will evolve for internet advertising (I can think of a few while I’m writing this).

In order to have a truly useful, and searchable internet the ranking of the relevant information pertaining to your search criteria can not be purchased or sold to the highest bidder. It needs to be qualified by something/someone that has experience in the particular area.

For example. Just because some lawyer guy bought a camera, and then linked and talked about it on his blog does not make said camera the best camera. Why would information on said camera go up in ranking just because some guy blog’s about it. He may not have even opened the box or taken a picture with it yet. So what qualifies the camera as being the best camera? Simply something a computer program/algorithm can not do today.

The internet will get back to it’s grass roots. Google wants all the information and to control it, but can you control an evolving, organic internet? Yes, but only if you own it which Google does not nor does MS nor does Yahoo!. It can’t be owned.

Search will not improve until you take the $$ value out of the equation, make qualifying the data a collective effort, and the results publicly and freely available. Once you can do that, the business models are all over the place.

Sorry for this being rather long. Smiley

• User profile image
    BryanF

Which product is "best" really depends on the audience. VS05/.Net 2.0 are definitely cool from a geek perspective. For normal people, I'd guess something iPod; Xbox360 is certainly nice, but seeing as how they're sold out through February, it seems more like an '06 product.

• User profile image
    Minh

Podcasting & bit torrent. In 2006, the twain shall meet.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

JohnAskew wrote:

JohnAskew wrote: the real creme de la creme, imho, is Google's search engine.

I just read a blurb predicting Google stock to lose %50 of its value in 2006.

And it will still be overprices by about 400%

• User profile image
    Manip

fatfrank wrote:
    So how exactly did w2k fail??

... As a consumer operating system it wasn't able to replace Windows 98 SE and thus Microsoft had to develop Windows ME... The same thing, I believe, will be true when Vista ships, not enough bells and whistles to excite consumers into buying it.

We can have a different discussion on if W2K was a success in the business world (my answer: Yes it was) but Vista isn't business focused and thus it is hard to draw a comparison between Windows 2000 for business purposes and Windows Vista for the same thing; it is far more interesting to look at Windows 2000 as a consumer Operating System -- Like Microsoft had intended it.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.