Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Longhorn Features Getting Cut?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

Ahh, the cries. The anguish. The "Longhorn is gonna suck" posts.

So, you've read our thoughts. Now, what's yours?

The truth has not come out yet. Will it come out on Channel9?

Listen in...

• User profile image
    darklotus

I know what can get cut from Longhorn. That silly side toolbar thing with the big analog clock on it. Can they also cut the IE memory leak out of the final release. I know there was something else.. Oh yea, how could i forget, the extremely slow load time, you guys can cut that out too. All of these ideas are from the PDC release of course. Smiley

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

To be honest, even if you cut 90% of the advancements in Longhorn it would still be evolutionary. My hope is that the really great ideas that are being pared down and are being cut will be roadmapped for either other products or future releases. That would be my hope.

• User profile image
    Joe Average

What I'd like to see in Longhorn is choice. Well, at least the possibility to not install programs I'm probably not going to use, like Movie Maker (still haven't figured out how to uninstall this one), Windows Media Player, MSN Messenger, possibly IE and OE, etc. Though I do use some of these programs I'd still like to have the option not to install them.

I'd like to see:

• A built-in virus scanner that updates its virus definitions at least weekly.
    • Folders on the desktop that make its content clickable when you hover your mouse pointer over it for a second or two (so that the (sub)folder(s) act more like a menu).
    If I think of anything else I'll post again Smiley

• User profile image
    Joe Average

Oh yeah, I'd also like to see, besides a "Minimize" button, is a "Minimize to tray" button.

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I've uninstalled MovieMaker, OE, MSN Messenger... Sure, they still show up on Windows Update (or SUS at work), but yeah. The other ideas re ones I like Big Smile

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

scobleizer wrote:

Ahh, the cries. The anguish. The "Longhorn is gonna suck" posts.

So, you've read our thoughts. Now, what's yours?

The truth has not come out yet. Will it come out on Channel9?

Listen in...

I've read about this as well... The manager of the Windows team probably won't read this or care about it if he does but here is a message to him:

People want things to be done the right way and hate receiving products that were inferior to what they were orignally were supposed to be. I don't care how long it takes, don't cut corners and do get it done!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.