Coffeehouse Thread

78 posts

I HATE JAVA!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

    Do you know what the absolutely worst thing about developing on Java is? The fact it has little to do with coding!

    I just spend 45 minutes fiddling with everything EXCEPT code... In fact I barely wrote a single line of it... Doing the same in VS 2005 wouldn't have taken me 45 seconds!

    Oh and by the way Pipes don't work for Java applications... And it has its own path variable (of course it can't just use the path variable Windows provides in exactly the same format can it?!!).

    I *hate* Java and I *hate* Sun ... The language is fine, the compiler is fine but the 'packaging' around the former *sucks* and ruins the entire experiance... Kind of like selling Perfume bottles packaged in a big pile of sh!t.

    This isn't even my first time with Java, I had exactly the same experiance last year... Why oh why must I be constantly fighting with this flamework?!

    After Uni' is over I swear on w3bbo's life that I will never take a job doing Java development! Mad

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    One of my next OU courses is Object-Oriented Programming with Java

    Oh what joy. Expressionless

  • User profile image
    Manip

    blowdart wrote:
    One of my next OU courses is Object-Oriented Programming with Java

    Oh what joy.


    I did that last year... Be prepared not to have any finger nails left ... And I suggest being a little drunk while trying to setup a development environment Wink

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Manip wrote:
    blowdart wrote:One of my next OU courses is Object-Oriented Programming with Java

    Oh what joy.


    I did that last year... Be prepared not to have any finger nails left ... And I suggest being a little drunk while trying to setup a development environment


    I believe they're using BlueJ, which is all self contained.

  • User profile image
    cravikiran

    While I do prefer C# or even C++ myself, I don't think Java is that bad really.  It is kind of unfair saying you hate the language when your problem is not having a decent IDE it seems.  Have you tried Eclipse?  The following steps and you should be coding pretty much as in VS - install SDK, install Eclipse, start Eclipse.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Java .... based .... IDEs .... are .... very .... slow .... when .... running .... and .... don't ..... have .... auto .... complete.

  • User profile image
    cravikiran

    Actually, Eclipse is pretty fast (I think as opposed to the some of the slower GUI Java apps, it uses SWT, a native widget toolkit, which makes it significantly faster).  And in fact, it has intellisense-like capabilities for Java - and it is really good in fact - you can almost catch all your errors without compiling.

  • User profile image
    Born2Run

    Man ... I feel your pain. The company I work for went through a merger with another company and I was put in the development department with all the Linux nerds and was told to learn myself Java.

    Needless to say, I spent endless amounts of time setting up the environment trying to get everything work correctly.

    It never did ... after some days of work.

    And I got myself transferred to the marketing department where I am now head of front end development, working mostly in C# and .NET.

    Sweeeeetnesss Big Smile

    Oh ... and for those who didn't read it, I wrote a little article on my website about the differences between C# and Java.

  • User profile image
    markus

    Manip wrote:
    Java .... based .... IDEs .... are .... very .... slow .... when .... running .... and .... don't ..... have .... auto .... complete.
    Seems like you havent tried IntelliJ Idea - http://www.jetbrains.com/

    It's the best IDE around, unfortunatley i must say that it even kicks VS 2005's a**

  • User profile image
    shep

    java isnt that bad, whats all the fuss about.

    Big Smile

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    nemesis86 wrote:

    I think someone has had a bad day lol. Come on java is good at what it does. I agree some of the IDE's need to stop adding features and start addressing performance, but there are some good ones out there that are not wirtten in java and so are much more responsive.

    I think the one thing a java IDE that is written in java needs is lots a RAM. I think if you have less then 1GB then you should forget it, its just far to slow. I have used most of the free ones out there. I think if you want a simple environment to learn java, BlueJ is the answer. If you a freature rich IDE then eclipse is good, and if you want somethink with in built drag and drop forms development then NetBeans is the one.

    I think you are limiting youself if you say that you will never develop in java for a job, as there are alot of companies out there that use it.
    I think if you dont want to piss about configuring everything, just download JBuilder 2005 Foundation for free from Borland. It works "out of the box" and i use it on my Mac all the time. I hope you dont give up on java, its not all that bad once you have got used to the way it works. The key is not to compaire eveything to c# and Visual Studio.



    Yep, don't compare Java to C# or Visual Studio.  Otherwise, you'll go crazy and create threads titled "I HATE JAVA!".

    Oh...wait....nevermind.

  • User profile image
    Alt-F4

    Now that someone has started a Java-hating thread, I am obliged to participate. I HATE JAVA TOO! The main reason is the runtime, which has a GUI from hell. Secondly, try programming in BlueJ (which my teacher makes me use). That's enough to drive me insane. It's the biggest productivity squasher to come my way in a long time.

  • User profile image
    nemesis86

    Alt-F4 wrote:
    Now that someone has started a Java-hating thread, I am obliged to participate. I HATE JAVA TOO! The main reason is the runtime, which has a GUI from hell. Secondly, try programming in BlueJ (which my teacher makes me use). That's enough to drive me insane. It's the biggest productivity squasher to come my way in a long time.


    I think that swing takes some time to master and when you program with it badly it can be really rubbish(Im not saying your a bad programmer, just it takes time to master swing). I learned using BlueJ, and i can tell you it drove me insane too, but it forced me to learn some of the essential parts of the class library due to the lack of auto complete.

  • User profile image
    nemesis86

    ScanIAm have you worked out where you have seen me before yet?

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    nemesis86 wrote:
    ScanIAm have you worked out where you have seen me before yet?


    Not completely, but that it's still 'orbiting' around inside my head...

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Alt-F4 wrote:
    Now that someone has started a Java-hating thread, I am obliged to participate. I HATE JAVA TOO! The main reason is the runtime, which has a GUI from hell. Secondly, try programming in BlueJ (which my teacher makes me use). That's enough to drive me insane. It's the biggest productivity squasher to come my way in a long time.


    +5 insightful Smiley

    Yeah I am forced to use BlueJ (with a gun to my head)... Bluej does what it does well but it doesn't do a whole lot... That is its biggest weakness.

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    I could easily see hating .NET if it had an awful developer IDE and no autocomplete.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    I'd love to see MSFT do two things:

    1) Create/Incorporate Java, php, perl, and a few other of the 'short-bus' languages into visual studio.  At least open up some method to do so.

    2) Port visual studio over to a *nix platform.

    You may ask yourself why I would want this...I'm an accused "MSFT Fanboy", but I have my reasons. 

    Specifically, I believe that if these two things were done, we could eliminate the shrill, girly wails of the *nix crowd.  They'd finally know what it was like to work with a professional IDE and they would never go back to Eclipse or Emacs or VI or whatever other Piece of Crap IDE they are using...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.