Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 Spam: Grrr!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

They've gotten low enough to register and send email through C9?

Subject:
    Channel 9 user email: FROM: JACKSON KWAME.

Abidjan Cote D'Ivoire
    EMAIL:jnr_desmond@yahoo.fr
    TEL:+225-08-20-46-92

Dear Friend,

I am MR. JACKSON KWAME the only son of the former Director
    of finance, Sierra-Leone diamond and mining corporation,(HON)
    DR.DESMOND KWAME. I know that this mail might come to you as a surprise,
    due to the fact that we know not each other before now. I got your contact
    through a current publication, and decided to solicit for you understanding
    and wholehearted assistance to recieve the sum of US$20.5M in your bank
    account and earnest business partnership thereafter. My name is as above,
    I am 25 years old, a citizen of Sierra Leoane. I lost my parents as a result
    of the disastrous civil war which lasted for about 12 years in my country.
    Before the peak of the war, which eventually took my father's life, My fater informed me
    in confident that he has deposited the above sum in a suspense account of a BANK in Abidjan
    - Cote d'Ivoire,where I moved with my younger sister immediately my father was murthered
    by the rebels. I now reside here (Abidjan) under political Assylum with my 17 years old sister,
    PRECIOUS KWAME. The money was put in my father's possession by the then Government of Alhaji
    Tejan Kaba for the purchasing of ammunitions to confrom the rebels.

Now the war in my country is over with the help of ECOMOG soldiers, the present
    Government of Sierra Leone has revoked the passport of all officers who served
    under the former regime and now asked countries to expel such persons at the same
    time freeze their account and confiscate their asset, it is on this note that I am
    contacting you, I need you to assist me recieve the money into your account by
    providing me with your bank particulars:

1) Bank name & address.
    2) Account name & beneficiary
    2) Account number & swift code
    3) Bank telephone, fax and telex numbers
    4) Your private address, telephone & fax numbers.

I have in mind to compensate you with 30 % of the total money amount, additional
    10% for all your expenses encured in this transaction. I will give you a 20% annual
    commission in any investment we embarck upon in your country. I intend to invest
    in Real Estate business, though it depens on how lucrative it is in your country,
    I also count on your advise and guidance. Please kindly reach me by a return mail or on the above
    telephone number to indicate your interest in this business transaction, so as to
    enable us discuss this transaction in detail. Finally, I wish to assure you that this
    transaction is legal and 100% risk-free. I have in my possession the legal documents
    of this Deposit/Funds, as issued to my father by the Bank management.
    Thanks and God bless as you get back to me as quickly as possible.

Yours Sincerely,
    Mr.JACKSON KWAME.

NB:PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE FOR DETAILS.

• User profile image
    irascian

Yup! My first C9 email spam! Sad

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I got this one as well.

• User profile image
    Charles

Me too. We will disable his/her/their account, which is of course not a solution to the general problem. This type of behavior is hard to prevent algorithmically...

Perhaps we could enable some sort of user setting where you control whether or not you want any Niner to be able to mail you or only those who belong to your self-created trusted email group.

Thoughts?

C

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Charles wrote:
    Perhaps we could enable some sort of user setting where you control whether or not you want any Niner to be able to mail you or only those who belong to your self-created trusted email group.

How about an option that only allows members who have at least one post to send emails outright? (After all, who wants to receive emails from people they don't know? (Unless it's fan-mail))

• User profile image
    irascian

I can understand that some folks might want to severely restrict which 9ers can email them, but I'm happy with what we have at the moment. Things would get messy if I had to start typing in the names of all 9'ers that MIGHT want to email me and who I'd be happy to hear from.

While spam is always annoying, one bad email in 18 months is pretty good going.

Edited to add: I like w3bbo's suggestion above!

• User profile image
    Charles

If a user makes a post in some C9 forum, then this is enough to invoke trust?

Upon reflection, if you do receive mail from some Niner that contains spam or anything else annoying, then I guess you could just block them by using the anti-spam features of your favorite email client.

C

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Charles wrote:
    If a user makes a post in some C9 forum, then this is enough to invoke trust?

Upon reflection, if you do receive mail from some Niner that contains spam or anything else annoying, then I guess you could just block them by using the anti-spam features of your favorite email client.

C

Yeah because we all know Windows Live does a great job...

ANYWAYS...

I agree with Irascian (sp?), 1 spam in 18 months isn't bad at all....

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I agree with Irascian (sp?), 1 spam in 18 months isn't bad at all....

I just received a second spam.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Putting a CAPTCHA on the "Send Email" page should defeat this.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

I got this one too.  The only ones that really bug me are the ones that come from a blank address... Not even a domain to block.  Anyone know how to configure Outlook 2003 to block E-mail from a subnet?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

SlackmasterK wrote:
    I got this one too.  The only ones that really bug me are the ones that come from a blank address... Not even a domain to block.  Anyone know how to configure Outlook 2003 to block E-mail from a subnet?

I don't think Outlook lets you set rules according to IP addresses.

Besides, they're often spoofed anyway.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Make some option that allow members to sent you mails only if they meet user controlled conditions. Conditions to be set should be minimum post count and minimum account age. And maybe a third option to block all mails from Beer28.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Charles wrote:
    This type of behavior is hard to prevent algorithmically...

Thoughts?

C

There are lots of simple ideas to prevent this problem:
    - Prevent members to send an email within 24 hours after registration,
    - Prevent members to send more than 1 email every 10 minutes,
    - Require at least 10 posts on the forum.

(These rules could also apply on the wiki)

• User profile image
    Charles

Maurits wrote:
    Putting a CAPTCHA on the "Send Email" page should defeat this.

This is only useful to address the bot problem, not when a logged in Niner sends spams to other Niners (unless a bot can register and then log in and automate the email mechanism successfully). Niner email addresses are not publicly visible in the UI so I don't see how this is the result of a bot. Not sure how CAPTCHA will solve this specific problem...

C

• User profile image
    Maurits

I think what is happening is that the spam sender is:

* registering
    * sending an email to themselves
    * capturing the HTTP request that they used to send the email
    * replaying the HTTP request programmatically, decrementing the UserID by one each time until they get to 0

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

well at least Im not the only one to get this spam

• User profile image
    Maurits

Charles wrote:
    Niner email addresses are not publicly visible

I should hope not! Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.