Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MS is nobody while compare to IBM, even MS market value is as same as IBM

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

We knew the best developers are most important asset to MS, but now best developers start leave MS to other companies, such as famous Google.
    The Big Blue always is somebody, even they lost the best developers, they also got patents, super computers, and high quality services… each one can attract more best developers around the world.
    Another interesting thing is MS also spend money on speech recognize research, but I found only IBM Via-voice which product is available in the market.

relative news IBM taps open source to improve patent quality

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

IBM is taking an interesting tack in the market.  Having shed themselves of consumer level hardware (Lenovo), they're focusing on the server market, and providing business solutions.  Essentially, they've transitioned into a huge contract software solutions house.  I think IBM is going to opensource mostly because they're really not all that great at making the big software pieces: OS, database, or whatever.  Seriously, who uses OS/2 or DB2 anymore?

IBM is betting a serious amount of company on the success of something that is ultimately out of their control.  Smart?  Maybe.  OSS people could turn and bite IBM for some reason (OSS people tend to be less than sane)

• User profile image
    andokai

leighsword wrote:
    Another interesting thing is MS also spend money on speech recognize research, but I found only IBM Via-voice which product is available in the market.

Speech recognition comes free with XP and Office.

• User profile image
    leighsword

andokai wrote:
    leighsword wrote:Another interesting thing is MS also spend money on speech recognize research, but I found only IBM Via-voice which product is available in the market.

Speech recognition comes free with XP and Office.

Does it work? When I say "Start" -> "Programs" -> "Windows Media Player" -> "Play".

• User profile image
    leighsword

Voice from IBM
    Innovations can spring from a need . . . a gift . . . an inspiration . . .a technology. In the case of Dr. Dimitri Kanevsky, each has shaped this exceptional man's life and work. Scholar. Author.Inventor. Researcher. Kanevsky is all of these things. Born in Kiev, Ukraine, he has been deaf since the age of three. This did not deter his resolve, nor his ability to craft a life filled with achievements. Kanevsky's work at the IBM Watson Research Center alone has resulted in 74 U.S. patents, and at least 82 patents worldwide – many in the area of speech technology. Among his accomplishments: ViaScribe, a system that transcribes lectures for students in real time . . . non-intrusive disease-detection systems . . .glasses that transform street signs into a person's native language . . . and a system that prevents people from falling asleep while driving.

IBM: In your opinion, what are the elements of innovation?
    Kanevsky: Innovations encompass three aspects: the minds of the people that conceive them, the technologies that enable them and the problems that they help solve. Innovations can come from an idea, a need, or be made evident by a technology.

IBM: Being a mathematician, how do you approach a problem?
    Kanevsky: At IBM, I have the opportunity to see a lot of technology applied in many areas – speech recognition, translation, and nanotechnology, for example. When I identify a need or a problem, I only have to look around me to see how a technology might help solve it. This is how inventions and innovations are born.

IBM: Speaking of invention, how does it differ from innovation?
    Kanevsky: Invention is just a technical thing that solves a technical problem. Innovation requires teamwork. It doesn't just come from people like me, or from technology. It relies heavily on people communicating, interacting and sharing opinions. Teamwork is a very big factor, and IBM encourages that.

IBM: Not everyone is aware that IBM technologies are "under the covers" of so many innovations.
    Kanevsky: When I started to work at IBM 19 years ago, IBM was like a university. You could just do research – long-term research – without thinking about an immediate application. A few years ago, IBM started to change. The goal was not only to do good research, but also to think about how our work could solve customers' problems. This involved gathering feedback from customers, which helps us focus on real-world challenges.

IBM: Can you give us an example of how IBM approaches innovation?
    Kanevsky: IBM takes a balanced approach; we don't just focus on solving customers' immediate needs. For example, IBM conducts something called "adventurous research." Adventurous research involves things that might have a big impact in four or five years. IBM also conducted a "World Jam" connecting IBM personnel all over the world during one 72-hour period. The purpose was to provide a Web-based platform for employees to share ideas and challenges. World Jam served as a testing ground for a number of research experiments, including an animated site guide and a variety of brainstorming games.

IBM: What would you say to potential innovators?
    Kanevsky: You should not be afraid if your solution is so out of the ordinary that people do not understand it the first time around. You need to have the ability to look ahead. You can take a standard thing that is not new and, depending how you apply it – how you make it useful – it can become an innovation."

need more?

• User profile image
    andokai

leighsword wrote:
    Does it work? When I say "Start" -> "Programs" -> "Windows Media Player" -> "Play".

It can.

I've also been looking into the Windows Vista Speech API and it makes it so much easier to incorporate speech into applications.

Here's an article about it.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol
  • User profile image
    Shiv

Via Voice is just as bad as speech recognition in windows/office xp. The best for a long time has been Dragon Naturally speaking.

• User profile image
    Corvax

Any company is represented by people who work there. Microsoft = Bill, Steve, and many more people who have long history with the company.

IBM is loosing talents, changing directions and markets as often (or maybe more often) as it changes CEO. In my view, IBM is impersonal financial holding pushing its way through by an army of well-trained salesman.

Decade ago IBM was almost dead because of its arrogance. The American Express champion has saved it, but he is retired now.

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

MSFT research in China (Hong Kong, I think) has been working on speech recognition a lot, and is actually the best place to work on it.  Given how intonation based (among other subtleties) makes recognizing Chinese really, really hard.  I don't expect anything commercial to come out of it in the near future, but Microsoft seems to be investing a lot more into research than a lot of companies.

• User profile image
    TimP

DoomBringer wrote:
    Seriously, who uses OS/2 or DB2 anymore?

IBM makes plenty of popular operating systems. Just because it doesn't run on PCs or x86 servers doesn't mean nobody uses it. Also, DB2 is running neck and neck with Oracle as the world's most popular database. I can't find any recent exact numbers, but DB2 is certainly a popular product.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.