Coffeehouse Thread

136 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Final Vista UI??

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=32020

Is this really the final vista UI? Hopefully they still tweak it!! Smiley

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Nicer than XP by far.. but, to borrow from Bill Gates' mini-movie with Napoleon Dynamite, "They can do better."

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

It looks first-generation.

Not.... bad, simply imperfect.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

I like it, sure maybe the window control button things could do with a tweak to balance the size out.  But I think overall the window frames are good, and they don't look at all heavy.

I don't see what everyone on Neowin is whining about, just look at some of those comments.

• User profile image
    jamie

ill reserve judgement till the real aero goes in...
    the 3d one - as suggested in mockups here:

and here:

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

But Microsoft has said the UI is pretty much final.  It's still reasonable that they might put in something like the top screenshot, but the bottom seems completely unreasonable at this state in the game, since the icon styles and taskbar are apparently pretty well set now.  (I need to go download the latest version of the UX guidelines, I want to see some of the stuff that wasn't in yet when I downloaded it)

• User profile image
    jamie

re the comments on neowin:
    like this one:

I've been a PC user all my life and I've tried Vista (the latest build). It was horrendous. Not just the look, but usability as well. And the classic UI was completely raped. I hope there's a way to tweak the UI to be more usable, like OS X or classic windows.

gotta say i agree
    regardless of what it looks like - they have damaged usability, removed customization options (in name of terrorism - i mean security) and almost completely removed treeview / list view - or the main reasons ive always prefered windows over a mac - hiarchy folders

vista is un usable - and if the new intel macs do indeed boot both vista and osx (garageband, iphoto etc free) ill buy one - and use vista only when i have too for Frontpage and coreldraw  (oh ya iWeb... well corel anyway)

• User profile image
    Wells

Interesting post here from Raymond Chen about the decoy visual style in XP.  Makes you wonder...

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/01/11/511559.aspx

I just can't believe those shoddy folder icons are the final versions.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Wells wrote:

QFE, because... damn...

--edit: If I'm running Vista RTM, this will likely the first time I'll run an alternative hacked visual style permanently, just to get rid of what'll be available originally. They also screwed up the classic mode. Yay for that.

• User profile image
    jamie

Wells wrote:
    Interesting post here from Raymond Chen about the decoy visual style in XP.  Makes you wonder...

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/01/11/511559.aspx

exactly - this CANT be the UI..
    not after 6 years
    not after scoble talking so much about apple being hush hush then blowing everyone away every launch
    not after jim alchins imposed secrecy UI (no copying) missive

so -  i still think ..err <morpheus>..believe</morpheus> - all of a sudden ms will release the REAL ui
    and blow everyone away (FINALLY)

maybe this version - is indeed what you get if you cant run the 3d ui

im still banking on "totally blown away by vista" - but will it be in the betas? or only days before release will it be added
    (its just graphics - so theres no reason to show it sooner)

*of course there IS reason to show it sooner - so we no ms hasnt LOST ITS MIND and this is all there is! Wink

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I've suspected Glass is all we're going to get since the PDC build appeared. Not all that long, I suppose... but many of Microsoft's ambitions have been dramatically scaled back for Vista.

Zeo wrote:
    I have it on good authority that what's in 5270 is roughly the final UI. There were amazing plans for a radically different UI, no start bar, radical way of interacting with programs...but the entire concept was killed. From what I saw, it was really really cool....but all of that work is now being moved into Long term(5-7 year) planning past blackcomb(version after vista).

Good move on their part.

We need evolutionary upgrads, not revolutionary upgrades. Revolution is the goal; evolution should be the way of getting there. Incremental upgrades easily understood.

Sometimes that's impossibe, but Microsoft should aim to transition smoothly over.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    jamie

Michael Griffiths wrote:

Good move on their part.

We need evolutionary upgrads, not revolutionary upgrades. Revolution is the goal; evolution should be the way of getting there. Incremental upgrades easily understood.

id agree with you if there wasnt this issue of 6 years wait time, 50 new competitors, software that is free, and about 20 other things (aqua) that we need addressed asap

*and regarding zeos post about the "centers" (community center, document center - i always loved that UI (sort of a nashville - pluspack ie integration UI) that was never to be

ill never understand why we cant have UI's that float on top of windows - although i brought that idea up for windows live to make themes for vista easier

• User profile image
    Zaki

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    I've suspected Glass is all we're going to get since the PDC build appeared. Not all that long, I suppose... but many of Microsoft's ambitions have been dramatically scaled back for Vista.

Good move on their part.

Sometimes that's impossibe, but Microsoft should aim to transition smoothly over.

People are very resistant to abrupt changes. When presented with the revolution, they go through phases. First they will oppose everything (think about geocentric vs heliocentric Smiley ) just because they don't want to put more energy in there. Although I admit I also expected a bigger revolution, I can see the point MS has here. Gradual change, everything should remain undetected as much as possible (like "under the hood" changes), because that is the only way to ensure people (larger customers, that is) will upgrade.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

ah i didnt like the Neptune UI its too inflexible. though i think some of the ideas behind it were good, like the concept of activity centers which i used in my own ideas on how to replace the start menu.

still earlier Aero UI mockups screens I was more excited about than the final UI as its turning out. also the way they are implementing things like virtual folders and lists looks like it wont be intuitive to an average user. far from the original progressive filter through a breadcrumb bar idea

• User profile image
    jamie

speaking of window borders - check out this screen again:\

look how there is NO border.  i thought that was great - that they could finally make the content - like a piece of paper ( paper doesnt have a border - nor do photos or any other thing in reality .. but it seems like vista will have even THICKER window borders...

sigh...  wait - let me check an old URL... domain dead - copied to jgrant site:

http://www.jgrant.com/ideas/

click Web Bars link and notice the non-borders

*this is stuff sent to - and discussed with ben slivka / chris jones all those years ago (in the dark ages before channel9)  Smiley

anyway... the no borders look i always liked

imagine double clicking a jpg icon and it opens like this:

im not sure how to have the controls display (mouse over? - small icon left or right? like winmedia player does it?) but id rather see documents and photos like they should look - not inside little boxes ( vista = lots and lots of boxes /borders/squares....)

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.