Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

VB.Net + C# code in one project?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Manip

I read on another board that adding the ability to move VB.Net and C# modules into one project is being considered. I am curious about what everyone else thinks about this suggestion? Would it make .Net code more portable or simple act to confuse projects?

• AlfredTh

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make. As it is you can create a class in one language and use it in a program written in a different language. You can even create a new class in C# that inherits a class written in VB and use the new class in a J# program. You can put all the classes in one solution (individual projects in different languages) so they all compile together as well.

• Jeremy W

I was going to say basically what Alfred said, but didn't want to assume too much as it's been a few months since I did any .NET development.

The strength of .NET, and the reason I switched to it was the multi-lingual capabilities.

In fact, when our team (at my last job) first switched we had one J# guy, a C# guy (previously C++), a VB.NET guy and a guy who used Borland's Delphi extension.

It worked great. Over time everyone switched to C# for standardization and ease of documentation (I also 'pushed' them a little because I dind't want to have to maintain a J# position). But, everything always worked great together.

It's definitely one of my favourite things about .NET, because it eliminates most people's biggest fear: learning a new language. They just need to learn the Framework (and the IDE, but VS.NET makes both of these incredibly easy).

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.