Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

How to be a MVP at Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Breeze

Hear that MVP can get source of win.Is it really?

Just wanna know about this.tkx.

• User profile image
    chuawenching

Help in Microsoft community forums Smiley

• User profile image
    Breeze

I know it this way.

But I don't like help each other with news.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

You can get the source for viewing but you cannot recompile, redistribute Windows.  For more details contact MS.

• User profile image
    Breeze

Really?That's enough for me.

• User profile image
    PeterF

MVP is a recognition from Microsoft that you are of help to the community and you have a fair degree of knowledge about one or more topics. Together with that come extra priveleges, you get in the picture, receive sample materials to try out, meet at conventions etc. With that you form a network so you will become a more valuable source, because you know whom to contact for a specific problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end some MVP's would be less contributing with their own knowledge, but more with their knowledge of who you can contact, but still taking the credits for it. But that's another story...

Peter

• User profile image
    sriram_2001

From what I've heard, this is only open to the MVPs who live in countries which have a deal with MS to view Windows source.

• User profile image
    PeterF
  • User profile image
    Breeze

Why chinese got it in a hard?In another way,I can got it if I am in US?

thks.

p.s. to peter:hot to make a avatar like yours?

• User profile image
    Manip

MVPs are normally asses and not the most technically knowing of people around. If you go on the Microsoft Forums and copy and paste the knowledge base articles you might just get one.

In general I have found people that have got MVPs to be extremely arrogant and a pain in the *. Further more they will respond with the official answer as opposed to the correct one. They also seem unwilling to bend, if your problem is not an officially recognised one then they are stuck and will try and classify it as one they CAN see.

I will not pretend that I don't want one but it wouldn't be an award I would sell my soul to get (and you DO have to sell your soul).

• User profile image
    PeterF

Manip, MVP's tend to be highly intelligent, both technically and socially, and have a good memory. Such remarks are not really credit points.

The only thing MVP's fear is to lose the MVP status. Each year the MVP-ship is re-evaluated. If you haven't contributed then you're likely to lose it. But once an MVP always an MVP, as you are still in the picture and people still value your opinion, even if you have not got the MVP status to back it.

Also time is spare, so choosing wether to write an answer or looking it up and copying and pasting it isn't a hard decision to make, as some questions are asked over and over without using the search functionality to look if it has been asked before ...

• User profile image
    PeterF

To Breeze:
    I only thought you were from China because it says so under your avatar, if you're from the US, why not say so Wink

If you would like to make such an avatar, you'd need a graphics program which supports gradients and maybe some transparancy and layers. I can recommend Photoshop, but it is rather expensive for personal use.

Peter

• User profile image
    geetesh

More about the MVP program:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

• User profile image
    Manip

PeterF wrote:
    Manip, MVP's tend to be highly intelligent, both technically and socially, and have a good memory. Such remarks are not really credit points

How many MVPs do you know? I have run into quiet a few of them and they are just MVP obsessives that are not that technically equipped. Also I have never met one that I consider to be highly intelligent.

I have more respect for a few people on this board for their technical knowledge than I do for the MVPs I've met (excluding all MS employees).

• User profile image
    Breeze

PeterF wrote:
    To Breeze:
    I only thought you were from China because it says so under your avatar, if you're from the US, why not say so Wink

If you would like to make such an avatar, you'd need a graphics program which supports gradients and maybe some transparancy and layers. I can recommend Photoshop, but it is rather expensive for personal use.

Peter

Photoshop in China,have free ver(another way).

but in us,that have protected by gov.

• User profile image
    Breeze

Manip wrote:
    PeterF wrote: Manip, MVP's tend to be highly intelligent, both technically and socially, and have a good memory. Such remarks are not really credit points

How many MVPs do you know? I have run into quiet a few of them and they are just MVP obsessives that are not that technically equipped. Also I have never met one that I consider to be highly intelligent.

I have more respect for a few people on this board for their technical knowledge than I do for the MVPs I've met (excluding all MS employees).

In fact,I think many in C9 or in other tech forum also exceed many mvps.The mvp in China  we also call them supporter and not professor.

• User profile image
    eagle

I know quite a few MVP’s and have found them all to be knowledgeable and helpful. Most of them got to be MVP’s by just doing what they do best and sharing what they know with the community. I have been in a .Net UG since early 2000, we have a member who is extremely knowledgeable and generous, today he is an MVP. I am a member of a C# community newsgroup and a Chinese woman who is very knowledgeable and generous there is now also an MVP.

• User profile image
    Manip

I've sure there are some MVPs that I haven't met that might be smart, maybe Microsoft has improved its rewarding process.. All I can say is the ones I have met are just dwarfed by most professional network technicians. Some of whom couldn't even work in a computer shop because they are simply not good enough.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.