Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Default Backgrounds for Operating Systems. What is the process and where do they come from?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • redvamp128

I have always wondered this since the early days of windows. What is the process for deciding what stays or goes as far as default backgrounds? Where does Microsft get them from or do they create them?

• Manip

My *guess* would be that MS buys them from photo resellers. And pick ones that look nice and are not too expensive.

• Steve411

I would have to say, MS has it's own 'photagraphers.'

• Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:
    My *guess* would be that MS buys them from photo resellers. And pick ones that look nice and are not too expensive.

I heard that Microsoft brought pictures for its website from other companies so I would think it would be the same for Windows.

• billy

What the hell... since we're all speculating... I think they bought them out of a guys trunk... I think we need to set a precedent around here, I mean this is meant to be a place where we communicate with Microsoft right? How about when someone asks a question that is obviously targeted at Microsoft employees, we don't polute the thread with speculations and "my sisters cousins dog told me..."?

• billy

... my sister's cousins's dog... damn, I farked that one up!

• cageyjames

Manip wrote:

I'm sure the choice would be Corbis since Bill did start the company.

• Shawn

cageyjames wrote:
    Manip wrote: My *guess* would be that MS buys them from photo resellers. And pick ones that look nice and are not too expensive.

I'm sure the choice would be Corbis since Bill did start the company.

Well I doubt Bill still owns the company (certainly not exclusively anyway) anymore since they're advertising that they're giving away a G5.

• cageyjames

Shawn wrote:
    Well I doubt Bill still owns the company (certainly not exclusively anyway) anymore since they're advertising that they're giving away a G5.

Bill still owns and still is involved with the board of directors.  While he isn't the CEO, he is the priciple speaker for the company and its vision.

The fact that Corbis might want to give away G5s might be driven by the fact their marketplace is full of them?!?!?!?!

• Shawn

Well my opinion of Bill Gates just changed for the better.

Thanks for the info Cagey.

• scobleizer

I don't know where this rumor started that we don't like Apple. Everytime I'm in an Apple store I see someone buying a copy of Microsoft Office.

At the MVP summit this past week someone asked Steve Ballmer about our support of Apple and he said something like "we love Apple, why would we stop supporting Apple?"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.