Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

So many frameworks, so many redundancy, WinFX, .NET, Avalon and Indigo

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

Come on, put them together, remove repeated works, all they need just a namespace.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Indigo and Avalon were just codenames for part of WinFX , which in turn is just a .NET api. No redundancy, no duplication.

• User profile image
    footballism

leighsword wrote:
    Come on, put them together, remove repeated works, all they need just a namespace.

How about the situation in unmanaged world?
    you have COM, ActiveX, DNA, DCOM, GDI , WIN32 APIs among many other reduntant stuff, and you never complain about it, how funny?

Sheva

• User profile image
    bikini

Redundancy isn't half bad. Wink

• User profile image
    leighsword

footballism wrote:
    leighsword wrote:Come on, put them together, remove repeated works, all they need just a namespace.

How about the situation in unmanaged world?
    you have COM, ActiveX, DNA, DCOM, GDI , WIN32 APIs among many other reduntant stuff, and you never complain about it, how funny?

Sheva

Managed world is a new world, I guess MS spends almost five years for .NET which purpose is want to give us a unified platform, if I am wrong, there would be ADO+ framework, GDI+ framework, Web framework, XML framework...and so many...
    In another side, so many framework will mislead users, and also require tons of adverts to introduce the new and cool stuffs to users.

• User profile image
    leighsword

AndyC wrote:
    Indigo and Avalon were just codenames for part of WinFX , which in turn is just a .NET api. No redundancy, no duplication.

Then, what about .NET?.NET = WinFX ? or part of WinFX? or .NET using WinFX, and Avalon & Indigo using .NET? oh my god, could somebody help me out?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

leighsword wrote:
    ADO+ framework, GDI+ framework, Web framework, XML framework

System.Data = ADO+
    System.Drawing = GDI+
    System.Web = Web framework (asp.net)
    System.XML = XML framework

WinFX (including Avalon and Indigo) is part of .NET and will also get their own namespace like the previous technologies.

• User profile image
    leighsword

ZippyV wrote:
    leighsword wrote:ADO+ framework, GDI+ framework, Web framework, XML framework

System.Data = ADO+
    System.Drawing = GDI+

WinFX (including Avalon and Indigo) is part of .NET and will also get their own namespace like the previous technologies.

Thanks, it's very clear.
    Another question is, why I need depoly a whole .NET framework redistributable package when I won't using System.XML namespace, and why I don't need depoly the WPF(Avalon) & WCF(Indigo) packeage when I won't using System.Avalon namespace.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

leighsword wrote:
    ZippyV wrote:
    leighsword wrote: ADO+ framework, GDI+ framework, Web framework, XML framework

System.Data = ADO+
    System.Drawing = GDI+

Thanks, it's very clear.
    Another question is, why I need depoly a whole .NET framework redistributable package when I won't using System.XML namespace, and why I don't need depoly the WPF(Avalon) & WCF(Indigo) packeage when I won't using System.Avalon namespace.

Because System.Xml is part of the core .Net Framework, while WinFX is not. Having a core set of functionality that you can be sure is available on every computer that has the .Net Framework installed is very useful for developers.

• User profile image
    Verdant

leighsword wrote:
    ZippyV wrote:
    leighsword wrote:ADO+ framework, GDI+ framework, Web framework, XML framework

System.Data = ADO+
    System.Drawing = GDI+

Thanks, it's very clear.

i am fairly certain is it impossible to run a .NET application without System.XML, since all the machine and app configuration files are XML.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

I tend to think of it like this.  Remember the old VBRUN DLL's?  .NET is the same thing, just on a much more massive scale. The difference here is, users may have heard of .NET, while most won't know "wtf is this file I'm missing?".

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.