Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

myheritage.com - Safe? Not Safe?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

After me and my wife ran us and our kids through myHeritage.com it got me thinking...in order to use the service....you had to register with First & Last name, birth date, location, etc ,etc....

How safe would that be? Imagine if enough people used the service, 1 Million, 2 Million, 5, 10?

Yeah I'm sure they would probably get the face recognition down to a heartbeat...but then you've just indexed possibly that many millions of people?

If the goverment really wanted to do so could they not supponea myheritage.com in interest of National Security? Then again they do with your drivers licence...student ID's...etc.

Bigger question...if the goverment were to run this site...would people be so willing to submit their information?

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

What do you mean by "Safe"?

The entire point is for millions of people to use the site. Once you get that large a database, you can recognize people. And then you can link people.... is this person related to this other person? etc.

The question becomes: how much information does MyHeritage ask for? Does it ask for phone number? Address? Or just name, email, etc?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Michael Griffiths wrote:
    What do you mean by "Safe"?

The entire point is for millions of people to use the site. Once you get that large a database, you can recognize people. And then you can link people.... is this person related to this other person? etc.

The question becomes: how much information does MyHeritage ask for? Does it ask for phone number? Address? Or just name, email, etc?

Submit your picture and try it Wink

Tell me if your happy submitting that much info. Honestly I forget what it ask for however...play from a normal users standpoint.

• User profile image
    BuckyBit

this is all obsolete soon.

DNA-tracking is the future, more accurate, government has his hands in it - safety?security?identity? - who will care???

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    After me and my wife ran us and our kids through myHeritage.com it got me thinking...in order to use the service....you had to register with First & Last name, birth date, location, etc ,etc....

Ever heard of falsified data? Wink

• User profile image
    Karim

Cybermagellan wrote:

How safe would that be? Imagine if enough people used the service, 1 Million, 2 Million, 5, 10?

Yeah I'm sure they would probably get the face recognition down to a heartbeat...but then you've just indexed possibly that many millions of people?

If the goverment really wanted to do so could they not supponea myheritage.com in interest of National Security? Then again they do with your drivers licence...student ID's...etc.

Bigger question...if the goverment were to run this site...would people be so willing to submit their information?

Uh...you were supposed to use your real name?  Big Smile

I did a WHOIS on myheritage.com before using the site.  It's an Israeli company.  So I think the Knesset or the Mossad would have to subpoena the data...

As a test, I suppose you could always upload a mugshot of a known terrorist, and then see how long it takes for you to end up on a flight to Guantanamo.  LOL

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.