Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Sod's law

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

you save up a few months and just as you're about to buy the latest high-tech fo shizzle, the latest version comes out with even snazzier features.

Originally I was choosing between the portable Portege M200 or the powerful Tecra M4.

But now Toshiba is going to release a Portege M400 with some pretty decent stuff (green = useful to me, red = bad for me, black = indifferent)

• 5Lbs weight
    • Dual-Core CPU
    • Detachable screen!!
    • Fingerprint reader (AFAIC, a gimmick)
    • Intel Graphics (Boo, hiss!)
    • 12" display

Compared to the M4

• 6.2Lbs weight
    • Pentium M 760
    • GoForce 6200 TE
    • 14.1" display
    Bah! Why can't they make one with a huge screen but is also lightweight?

Does anyone know the starting price of the M400 when it will be released or if there's an M5 on the horizon?

• User profile image
    Manip

Your going to buy the one with the nicest 'features' and very quickly discover that what you REALLY needed was long battery life and could live without the extra 2" or 3D graphics.

So many geeks have made that mistake over and over again but we (geeks) never learn, it seems we like our toys.

PS - Yes I DO own a camera phone with colour screen, so I'm not Mr.Perfect either. Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

I played with the new Toshiba Tablet at CES and the graphics looked very good, it's the third generation of Intel Graphics

• User profile image
    XiXora

Where you hear about the M400?
    I'm waiting for an update for my M200... the Toshiba unit at CES I was told was a prototype?
    Do you have anymore information... pics?

Thanks

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    I played with the new Toshiba Tablet at CES and the graphics looked very good, it's the third generation of Intel Graphics

I meant in terms of 3D performance; to my knowledge, Intel Graphics don't support Shader 3.0 or more advanced OpenGL functions.

You can play Doom3 and HL2 on a GoForce but not an Intel Integrated.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

XiXora wrote:
    Where you hear about the M400?
    I'm waiting for an update for my M200... the Toshiba unit at CES I was told was a prototype?
    Do you have anymore information... pics?

Google is your friend Smiley

Review 1
    Review 2 (oodles of photos)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    eagle wrote: I played with the new Toshiba Tablet at CES and the graphics looked very good, it's the third generation of Intel Graphics

I meant in terms of 3D performance; to my knowledge, Intel Graphics don't support Shader 3.0 or more advanced OpenGL functions.

You can play Doom3 and HL2 on a GoForce but not an Intel Integrated.

Why would you want to play Doom on a Tablet?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot wrote:
    Why would you want to play Doom on a Tablet?

Why not? Smiley

I've still got my graphics tablet from 2002 with me, and it was great for playing RTS games with, just thinking about how great my uber-micro will be just makes me drool Smiley

• User profile image
    XiXora

Yeah, I just googled. To me it LOOKS disappointing...
    Wonder if they'll have T2600 option too.
    I'm not sure if i'll wait for that unit now.

I may do anyway. Let's see whats in my student kitty Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

W3bbo wrote:
    you save up a few months and just as you're about to buy the latest high-tech fo shizzle, the latest version comes out with even snazzier features.

Tiz the life of an Apple Consumer... iPod, iMacs, etc...

My Supervisor did that the other day....

Her: "Oh hey I went and got an iPod nano...wow that's awesome!"
    Me: "You know they got a  video one out?"
    Her: "Damnit I can never win"

She's not a geek though...she's a manager....and a very good one at that. So I can't blame her...

• User profile image
    WillemM

Manip wrote:
    Your going to buy the one with the nicest 'features' and very quickly discover that what you REALLY needed was long battery life and could live without the extra 2" or 3D graphics.

So many geeks have made that mistake over and over again but we (geeks) never learn, it seems we like our toys.

PS - Yes I DO own a camera phone with colour screen, so I'm not Mr.Perfect either.

I have a phone with a camera running windows mobile 5.0, and for once, that's one of the best choices I made Tongue Out

For the rest, I think long battery life is indeed a lot better than (or then Tongue Out, can't remember) all those fancy features like a beast of a 3D accelerator. I don't play games on my notebook, If I play games, I will play them on my desktop.

• User profile image
    BenZilla

Cybermagellan wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:you save up a few months and just as you're about to buy the latest high-tech fo shizzle, the latest version comes out with even snazzier features.

Tiz the life of an Apple Consumer... iPod, iMacs, etc...

My Supervisor did that the other day....

Her: "Oh hey I went and got an iPod nano...wow that's awesome!"
    Me: "You know they got a  video one out?"
    Her: "Damnit I can never win"

She's not a geek though...she's a manager....and a very good one at that. So I can't blame her...

You can apparently put linux on the nano and play video.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.