Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Windows Vienna?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Cybermagell​an

Scobleizer wrote:
    Posted by scobleizer // Tue, Jan 17, 2006 10:45 PM

Zeo wrote:
    Blackcomb is alive and well.....Good to know that the codename of "Blackcomb" hasn't changed! Thanks for the confirmation...hadn't heard that codename being used since early 2004

Zeo: sssshhhhh, but since this video was shot the codename for Blackcomb has indeed changed to Vienna. I haven't gotten the story on this yet, though.

As per http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=156065 . I just noticed this because it got picked up on Neowin...

Please tell me this is a joke?

This was the first thing that came to mind...now Microsoft will really be filled with Wennies.

• jamie

• DoomBringer

What's in a name?

Letters, of course.

• BuckyBit

jamie wrote:

ROFL - This one knocked me from my seat...not seen it for quite some time... Tongue Out

• jamie

"We're the Beatles of effin Software!"
    S Ballmer

edit - his ONLY saving grace in my eyes. kudos steve. you said one thing in your life that made me like you
    ..but it was quite the thing Wink

edit 2 - i read the link above - great - everything i was waiting for in vista - is in vienna

goodnight Sad

• Andrei P

The name's not bad. It's just a codename, really.
    More sensitive than Blackcomb.

(Whistler Blackcomb, by the way Smiley)

• Cider

Sounds rubbish to me.  "Vienna" was Live Communication Server 2005 for a start, and why would they spend any time or energy changing the name of a codename, especially to some codename already used at Microsoft?

• Sourcecode

I personally think that MS should just stop with the code names and get a product out on time with no (limited) bug's.

Don’t these people have anything better to do than sit around for hours thinking up a code name? However I suppose that giving it a new code name gives them the excuse to delay, and/or remove features that aren’t going to be ready.

The Steve B quote “we are the *$##à@ Beatles of software…” sheesh guy’s even the Beatles released 1 album per year*. Sorry Steve MS can’t compare.

Quite working on stuff like Max, and get the stuff your supposed to get out, out.

• Andrei P

It seems that Scoble wasn't wrong.

"The codename for Blackcomb has changed to 'Vienna'. This does not reflect a big change for us; we have used city code names in the past," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "These code names are derived from cities/locations in the world known for great 'vistas'. The kinds of places we all want to see, experience and that capture the imagination. Vienna fits with this concept."

I'm glad I got the domain, as soon as the nameservers propagate, it will show http://www.geekpedia.com/windowsvienna/.

Longhorn is a bar in the Whistler ski-resort between the mountains Whistler and Blackcomb (now known as Vienna). This makes Vista an in-between version of Windows, so the big changes will be seen in Vienna.

• Cybermagell​an

I garuntee Microsoft buys this from you if it is indeed the new name.

• Andrei P

They are not normally interested in codenames. They didn't buy WindowsLonghorn.com and WindowsWhistler.com.

They do buy the final release domain name, but before making it public, like they did with WindowsVista.com

• Cybermagell​an

Andrei P. wrote:

They are not normally interested in codenames. They didn't buy WindowsLonghorn.com and WindowsWhistler.com.

They do buy the final release domain name, but before making it public, like they did with WindowsVista.com

OK, so they're changing from Blackcomb to Vienna?
    *stupid*

• W3bbo

Andrei P. wrote:

A surefire way to see a list of potential Windows product names is by writing a letter to one of the registrars and asking for a list of all domains registered by Microsoft.

• irascian

Cybermagellan wrote:

OK, so they're changing from Blackcomb to Vienna?
    *stupid*

Agreed. Every time I see that word I "hear" Midge Ure from Ultravox singing "This means nothing to me - Oh Vienna!"

(Ultravox were a band that were big in the UK in the early 80s with "Vienna" being their biggest hit which stayed at no. 1 for something ridiculous like 7 weeks with "This means nothing to me - Oh Vienna!" being the main hook in the chorus)

• Cider

Jeeeesus.  They've let Marketing choose the name of the frigging codenames now?  Haven't they got anything better to do?

• PaoloM

irascian wrote:
    Agreed. Every time I see that word I "hear" Midge Ure from Ultravox singing "This means nothing to me - Oh Vienna!"

(Ultravox were a band that were big in the UK in the early 80s with "Vienna" being their biggest hit which stayed at no. 1 for something ridiculous like 7 weeks with "This means nothing to me - Oh Vienna!" being the main hook in the chorus)

We are old Smiley

PS: possibly one of the best songs ever and the first "art" video ever produced.

• Maurits

Vienna also starts with Vi - a good candidate for an official "Vista Server" name

• Khamul

It would be nice for you if Microsoft did want that domain. You could just pushing the price up, and up...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.