Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Tech Ed Europe Cancelled

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cider

More details here:  http://bink.nu/Article5955.bink

Tech Ed Europe merges with the IT Forum, becomes 2 events:  Tech Ed:  Developers & Tech Ed:  IT Forum.  Moved to Barcelona, in November.

I think its both a good thing and a terrible thing.  End of June/Early July was always difficult for me because the summer is my main development period, and going to Tech Ed was a week lost, and coming back to not really have enough time to play with the stuff I had learned.  On the plus side, Amsterdam was a great place to be at that time of year.

Realistically, it should be a good thing, but WHY did Microsoft only make this decision now?  For a whole lot of people, July and November are not 4 months apart - they are two entirely seperate financial years.  Indeed, for people who want to go to Tech Ed, funding was probably already something they had looked at allocating this year.  If this was something they announced after last year's event, that's enough time to change plans, but now, things might not fit financially.

Also, one of the joys of Tech Ed was that I could go to a development track event, then go to a IT Pro track event, etc - as fits my job.  This has effectively been stamped on.  Oh, it does say you can go to both with Special Packages, but what bets the cost is only just under the cost of two tickets.

• User profile image
    eagle

Come to Boston, June 11-16, we'll have a tea party and then I'll kick you down Bunker Hill.

• User profile image
    irascian

This works really well for me. With no PDC this year I was looking to see what to attend instead and it looks like TechEd will probably be it. It will presumably coincide with the RTM release of Vista with that timeframe too.

MIX06 would have been my first choice of conference this year (went to a London Geek Dinner with Dave Shea from csszengarden.com last night and found a lot of what he had to say was new to me) but it's the wrong time of year financially and it's way too expensive with flights and hotels (unless you live in the States and have some really good cheap flight deals). Two and a half days just isn't enough to justify all that "overhead" expense and travel time.

Next year, pad it out to a week even if the extra two and a half days are just making the Online Labs facility available guys! Europeans want to get involved too but it's a long and expensive way to come for just two and a half days.

• User profile image
    Manip

eagle wrote:
    Come to Boston, June 11-16, we'll have a tea party and then I'll kick you down Bunker Hill.
    I can't tell Ealge to go (I need to watch my language) himself but he can threaten to kick people around? ... Real fair...

• User profile image
    blowdart

Manip wrote:
    eagle wrote:Come to Boston, June 11-16, we'll have a tea party and then I'll kick you down Bunker Hill.
    I can't tell Ealge to go (I need to watch my language) himself but he can threaten to kick people around? ... Real fair...

Ah but remember it's not a real threat, it's not like he could catch anyone, the large chip on his shoulder weighs him down too much

• User profile image
    irascian

blowdart wrote:
    Ah but remember it's not a real threat, it's not like he could catch anyone, the large chip on his shoulder weighs him down too much

It's a bit sad isn't it!

I'm still chuckling over the fact that in the thread about "If you could remove 1 IT company..." Eagle astounds us all with a company that he has to point out is  shock! horror! .. British! Well, who'da thunk? Eagle picking a British company instead of all the American companies mentioned in the same thread where the nationality of the company hasn't been mentioned at all!

Thankfully most C9ers were sensible enough to avoid feeding the troll on that particular "name the nationality" post.

• User profile image
    eagle

Boston is in closer proximity to the UK then it is to the American South West.

• User profile image
    fdezjose

TechEd Europe (all right it's Developers & IT) is back to Spain!Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cider

eagle wrote:

Oh GOOD.  So, Eagle can openly threaten me?  Watch, just you watch, as Scoble and Charles do nothing about you and your vile bigotry.

As it goes, I've found out I may well be going to Boston.  So I'll keep a good lookout for you.

• User profile image
    HansVB

Unfortunately the title is misleading. TechEd wasn't cancelled. It was moved to November. And yes we'll split it up in two events. One for IT Pros and one for developers.

I'll be the content owner for TechEd: Developers and will put more information on the changes on my blog(http://blogs.msdn.com/hans%5Fvb/) Thursday evening (CET).

We believe there are many advantages to this new approach not at least the fact we'll be able to provide more deep content. But I would like to keep my promise to some people and hold off until Thursday.

Cheers,

Hans

• User profile image
    HansVB

Just made the post about the event changes. http://blogs.msdn.com/hans%5Fvb/

• User profile image
    blowdart

Geez, I always considered TechEd too big as it was, and now it's merging? 

If anything that puts me off.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.