Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Could Microsoft settle Diebold?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I was reading this earlier (yeahyeah, it's /.)

...and I was thinking, since Diebold uses MS Access (*Shudder!*) and says their format is "propriety", couldn't Microsoft force it out of Diebold since it's their database format and Diebold has no right to claim that their MS Access "table layout" is propriety.

Of course, IMO, all, if not most, government systems like these should be transparent and open-source from the get-go anyway; I really do wonder how companies like Diebold actually exist... who in the right mind would buy systems for tabulating national ballots written in MS Access?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

What do you want them to use?  Openoffice.org Base?

W3bbo wrote:

...and I was thinking, since Diebold uses MS Access (*Shudder!*) and says their format is "propriety", couldn't Microsoft force it out of Diebold since it's their database format and Diebold has no right to claim that their MS Access "table layout" is propriety.

Of course, IMO, all, if not most, government systems like these should be transparent and open-source from the get-go anyway; I really do wonder how companies like Diebold actually exist... who in the right mind would buy systems for tabulating national ballots written in MS Access?

• User profile image
    dahat

rjdohnert wrote:
    What do you want them to use?  Openoffice.org Base?

Somehow I doubt they are using even a fraction of what they could with an Access database... meaning that they might think about rolling their own and give their arguments of the format being proprietary a little more weight.

• User profile image
    Minh

W3bbo wrote:

By "proprietary", they mean, their password is proprietary.

W3bbo wrote:
    who in the right mind would buy systems for tabulating national ballots written in MS Access?
    Why, my great state of Ohio of course -- where WE decided the presidency. We were the last state counted -- and re-counted -- because the final count was so close. The winner of Ohio became the president -- by 50,000 votes. I wonder how long it takes to do an UPDATE on 50,000 records... hmmmm.....

• User profile image
    sanatgersap​pa

who in the right mind would buy systems for tabulating national ballots written in MS Access?

The same folks who would vote Dubya.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

As a floridian in the same city where Ion Sancho found a major...erm...problem with Diebold voting machines, I can tell you exactly why these devices are still happening:

HAVA

This all came about because the 2000 election and there is a massive amount of money associated with buying these devices.

In Florida, Ion Sancho (great guy, actually) decided to go with ES&S as an alternative to Diebold.  Not a great alternative, but ES&S claimed to be secure (as did Diebold) and time was running out for the contract.  ES&S pulled out at the last minute and refused to honor the contract and so we now have Diebold again.

If you care, there is more here.

I don't recall the other company, but the owner of Diebold is related to the owner of another large voting device company.  They are brothers.

That would, to me, seem a bit fishy.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.