Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Better support for dual screen?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Chadk

    As it is now, i think the way Windows support dual screens is very poor.
    All i get is just a empty screen, i can drag something over at.

    What i would like, is to be able to have a task bar(Like this very nice program "Ultramon" does), for the second screen, so theres 2 task bars. Each contains the programs that runs on screen x.
    Also, i would like to be able to maximize an application to both screen. Its a bless to have 1 project in VS on both screens, so you can read 2 source files, without having to switch between files.

    Also, when you want to move an application from 1 screen, you have to minimize the application, drag it to the other screen, and maximize it again. Is that annoying? Yes it is!

    Is there maybe some kind of research in microsoft on this topic? If so i would really like to see a video on it.

  • User profile image
    Stephen

    Chadk wrote:
    As it is now, i think the way Windows support dual screens is very poor.
    All i get is just a empty screen, i can drag something over at.

    Yes Drag and drop
    Chadk wrote:
    What i would like, is to be able to have a task bar(Like this very nice program "Ultramon" does), for the second screen, so theres 2 task bars. Each contains the programs that runs on screen x.

    Using my nVidia video driver software I can extend my desktop and set screen resolution to
    Dualview -Each has its own settings resolution color depth)
    Span - Displays are combined into a single virtual display ie. 2560x1024
    Clone - Both displays are the same
    chadk wrote:
    Also, i would like to be able to maximize an application to both screen. Its a bless to have 1 project in VS on both screens, so you can read 2 source files, without having to switch between files.

    Will work in Span mode or individual mode I can send it to either screen or I can manually expand the window across both screens.
    chadk wrote:
    Also, when you want to move an application from 1 screen, you have to minimize the application, drag it to the other screen, and maximize it again. Is that annoying? Yes it is!

    Same as above 'send to display x'
    chadk wrote:
    Is there maybe some kind of research in microsoft on this topic? If so i would really like to see a video on it.

    Don't know - I already have it Smiley

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    Stephen wrote:
    Chadk wrote:As it is now, i think the way Windows support dual screens is very poor.
    All i get is just a empty screen, i can drag something over at.

    Yes Drag and drop
    Chadk wrote:What i would like, is to be able to have a task bar(Like this very nice program "Ultramon" does), for the second screen, so theres 2 task bars. Each contains the programs that runs on screen x.

    Using my nVidia video driver software I can extend my desktop and set screen resolution to
    Dualview -Each has its own settings resolution color depth)
    Span - Displays are combined into a single virtual display ie. 2560x1024
    Clone - Both displays are the same

    Such a shame i have ATI
    chadk wrote:Also, i would like to be able to maximize an application to both screen. Its a bless to have 1 project in VS on both screens, so you can read 2 source files, without having to switch between files.

    Will work in Span mode or individual mode I can send it to either screen or I can manually expand the window across both screens.

    If you do like that, wouldnt all application be do like that then? Because i want to be able to have some application over both screens, not all(Word covering 2 screens, how useless).
    "
    or I can manually expand the window across both screens"
    So, if you do like that, i guess you still are able to drag the window arround? I want it in maximized mode, so i cant drag it arround, and it goes all over the screen, and takes care if theres like appbars.
    chadk wrote:Also, when you want to move an application from 1 screen, you have to minimize the application, drag it to the other screen, and maximize it again. Is that annoying? Yes it is!

    Same as above 'send to display x'
    I dont get your point here. Could you please explain that?
    chadk wrote:Is there maybe some kind of research in microsoft on this topic? If so i would really like to see a video on it.

    Don't know - I already have it

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    Why do you want a Dual Screen when you can have this?






    Zenview Arena Elite


    http://www.digitaltigers.com/displays-arena.shtml

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    MisterDonut wrote:
    Why do you want a Dual Screen when you can have this?






    Zenview Arena Elite


    http://www.digitaltigers.com/displays-arena.shtml

    Great stuff. I havent had a look at it. But looks expensive.

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    Don't forget, tax-return season.. Smiley

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    MisterDonut wrote:
    Don't forget, tax-return season..

    Dont forget. Im just a student, that arent even done with the ground school Tongue Out[C]

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    ATI has an app that's equivalent to nVidia's desktop manager, available here:  http://www.ati.com/products/Hydravision/index.html

    It allows you to do just what you described:  adds a button to the title bar to maximize to the full desktop, lets you send a window to one monitor or the other, or to send an app to another "virtual" desktop as in Linux.  You can set windows to be transparent or always on top manually with the app's menu.

    ATI's not stupid-- they have to compete w/ nVidia and their nView package (which IS pretty nice, but this does everything it does).

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    I've got dual-monitors and I'm perfectly happy with my taskbar and desktop icons on my primary.

    As I said before, I use my secondary monitor for "monitoring"-type things, like keeping Winamp, Messenger, and downloads on, I also moved all my VS and Photoshop palletes to the seconday so I get more space on the primary too.

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    Do you have two separate monitors? Or is it a composite?

    Also, do you have two separate video cards?

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    MisterDonut wrote:
    Do you have two separate monitors? Or is it a composite?

    Also, do you have two separate video cards?


    I have a x800, with AGP and DVI. I have connected 2 Syncmaster 172x from samsung.

  • User profile image
    Angus

    That monitor setup picture is good, but what about one of these:

     



    It is massive, I wouldn't like the stand for any of the 9X Media systems, but they do produce some nice products, check the price of this one: http://www.9xmedia.com/pages-Build_a_system/X-Top---10over10over10.html
    There are, however, some cheaper options Tongue Out

    Angus Higgins
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Angus wrote:

    That monitor setup picture is good, but what about one of these:

     



    It is massive, I wouldn't like the stand for any of the 9X Media systems, but they do produce some nice products, check the price of this one: http://www.9xmedia.com/pages-Build_a_system/X-Top---10over10over10.html
    There are, however, some cheaper options

    Angus Higgins


    Would need 2 desks for that thing...and you'd have to reinforce the desks with steel beams Smiley

  • User profile image
    Verdant

    I don't do dual monitors without ultramon

    it also does all the other stuff you mentioned!

    it is not that expensive, just chuck out a little for it and you're happy

  • User profile image
    Chadk

    Verdant wrote:
    I don't do dual monitors without ultramon

    it also does all the other stuff you mentioned!

    it is not that expensive, just chuck out a little for it and you're happy

    Yes. The reason why i asked for all this stuff, is because i liked ultramon quite alot. But i dont really wanna pay for it.

  • User profile image
    jamie

  • User profile image
    Angus

    I have, as you may have known from the thread I started a few weeks ago, been thinking of purchasing a new monitor and a stand to set up dual monitors, however, after using a substandard monitor to test out what it would be like I found that the Windows XP Home Edition support was not great, and my video card, as far as I know does not support any of the features that others have mentioned, I think that the only thing dissuading me from getting this dual monitor system is the support. I would, however, be pleased to know if anyone knows of a driver for the ATi Radeon 9800 series graphics card that will support some of the features that others have mentioned.

    Thanks

    Angus Higgins 

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    Yes, Jamie, that's a very impressive system you found, I've seen it too.  The difference, however, is that he's using MSFltSim's capability to use screens on networked computers, we're talking about solutions for a multimonitor setup on one system.

    For multiple-computer multimon solutions, I use Synergy.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.