Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Microsoft’s portable digital media device - watch out Apple?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Carlos Luna

Microsoft hasn’t decided if it will go ahead. But sources inside the company and at its partners say Microsoft has put together a team that’s considering the business end of an initiative to unseat Apple’s iPod by releasing a Microsoft branded portable digital media device. Hardly original.

Continue at source

• User profile image
    Carlos Luna

And here is more from BusinessWeek Online

• User profile image
    Rossj

Not surprised after Steve Jobs told them they should do it at the last Macworld .. although I know Scoble is keen on the idea and has been for a while.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

They should add something like Bluetooth or WiFi for um, picture transfers....yeah that's it.

• User profile image
    Steve411

I got a chance recently to mess with the windows mobile enabled pocket pc...

Wow is all im saying. Smiley
    - Steve

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Steve411 wrote:
    I got a chance recently to mess with the windows mobile enabled pocket pc...

Wow is all im saying. 
    - Steve

...since PocketPCs run "windows mobile" then they'd be inherently "enabled".

I've been impressed with the PocketPC platform, but I feel there are still a few improvements to be made, (especially to do with task-switching and usability refinements)

• User profile image
    Steve411

W3bbo wrote:
    Steve411 wrote: I got a chance recently to mess with the windows mobile enabled pocket pc...

Wow is all im saying. 
    - Steve

...since PocketPCs run "windows mobile" then they'd be inherently "enabled".

I've been impressed with the PocketPC platform, but I feel there are still a few improvements to be made, (especially to do with task-switching and usability refinements)

... the camera quiality in this device was far better than any i've seen in a handheld device. And it's actually supposed to be referenced as 'windows mobile enabled pocket pc'

- Steve

• User profile image
    z33driver

If they could take the features and functionality of the Creative Portable Media Center (which runs around $500 bucks), and shrink it into something with the form factor of an iPod Nano, but with video, I think it would be awesome.  Maybe such a portable media center already exists?  Anyone know?

I've never felt a desire to own an iPod and frankly I have a hard time understanding what all the fuss is about w/ the iPod and iTunes platform.  Maybe I'm just missing something.  I really like the concept of the Portable Media Center though.  Just not for $500.

• User profile image
    ricodued

DISCLAIMER: I love Microsoft. I'm just realistic.
    DISCLAIMER, PT. II: The following is long, disjointed, and probably unreadable. I tend to argue with myself over the contents of my posts during the writing period. I apologize in advance.

Oh, for the love of FSM, do not make it the size of an  iPod Nano. Who would want to watch any sort of video on a 100x100px screen? Not I.

My iPod (with video) has a very, very nice screen for watching videos on.

If Microsoft hopes to take any of the glory away from the iPod, they have to be willing to take losses on the cost of the player. Only after the first generation, if everything has been done right (which, even as a Microsoft-lover, I'm guessing everything won't have been done right), will they be able to up the prices a little bit and build upon the then-established user-base.

The final obstacle remaining, assuming Microsoft aims to kill the iPod rather than just clutter the market with yet another half-attempted all-in-one portable media device, is that they have to beat their reputation with a lot of the people that buy these things: geeks. Most C9ers do not have much against Microsoft, I'd venture to say, but the 'trendy' people see Apple as the 'it' brand and Microsoft as the big, evil, maker-of-the-OS-that-always-crashes-and-loses-my-work* company.

I guess, after re-reading this, Microsoft doesn't have a shot in hell of beating the iPod. In the super-unlikely event that they do get everything right, which they won't, not even Apple gets everything right, they have a shot.

It's a long, up-hill battle, but I suppose it can be done. I'd put my money on it flopping, though.

* Windows has never given me problems. Just giving the perspective of what I hear from the common user.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Take CTRL of your media!
    Enjoy ALTernative music sources!
    DELete your iPod!

PlaysForSure Personal Windows Mobile Enabled Portable Media Center 2006!

• User profile image
    blowdart

Cairo wrote:

PlaysForSure Personal Windows Mobile Enabled Portable Media Center 2006!

Personal Windows Media 10 PlaysForSure Enabled Windows Mobile Media Centre Device 2006

surely?

• User profile image
    Carlos Luna

Cybermagellan wrote:
    They should add something like Bluetooth or WiFi for um, picture transfers....yeah that's it.

Yeah, they should consider the inclusion of Bluetooth and WiFi. Razor-sharp design, super widescreen aspect, multipurpose context-based buttons and kept to a minimum numbers (similar to PSP). Built-in large Hard Drive, FM/XM radio capable with recording capability and awesome Bluetooth headphones. Also, the device should be 100% compatible with Windows Vista Media Center.

I personally like the new Windows Vista Media Center interface. They should consider that as the interface for this device.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.