Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IBM frees code

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

IBM and the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) today announced that IBM is contributing more than half-million lines of relational database code to the ASF.

Bill Gates, has singled out IBM's WebSphere as the leading challenger to .Net. "Over the next few years, one of those will emerge as a better piece of software". 

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

This is great news.  Linux is starting to come out more,HP is even going to start selling Linux preinstalled on business notebooks here in the US.  Microsoft should be worried.  Microsoft may lose the Enterprise on the road to Longhorn. Smiley)

• User profile image
    iStation

"IBM frees code..." means "We can read the code as open source?" Tongue Out 

• User profile image
    AndyC

eagle wrote:

Bill Gates, has singled out IBM's WebSphere as the leading challenger to .Net. "Over the next few years, one of those will emerge as a better piece of software". 

Well from my experience of WebSphere, Bill doesn't have too much to worry about. Wink

• User profile image
    Alex Keizer

For some reason this gives me the impression that it's very unlikely that those 500K-lines will contain any revolutionary bits. They probably would have tried to sell them otherwise.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

rjdohnert wrote:
    This is great news.  Linux is starting to come out more,HP is even going to start selling Linux preinstalled on business notebooks here in the US.  Microsoft should be worried.  Microsoft may lose the Enterprise on the road to Longhorn. Smiley)

Linux is a commandline operating system like DOS and Unix; I would rather pay to have a blank hard drive in a future laptop purchase than have Linux preinstalled

Alex Keizer wrote:
    For some reason this gives me the impression that it's very unlikely that those 500K-lines will contain any revolutionary bits. They probably would have tried to sell them otherwise.

I think they are still sore over the OS/2 thing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.