Coffeehouse Thread

43 posts

XP Bliss Location?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ricodued

This has probably been asked a couple hundred times before, but I was wondering last night, Hey, I wonder where XP's default 'Bliss' background was taken... I only ask because I thought it would be neat to look it up on Virtual Earth or something.

Does anyone actually know where the picture was taken, or, probably more likely, is it not really an actual place, just a fabricated background?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

"Energy Bliss" was taken in New Zealand...  I don't know where the "official" bliss is from.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

IIRC, it was some place in California.

Although recently I was in some sparse region of Englandland and I noticed the rolling hills were very similar (and it was a sunny day too). So I guess it could be anywhere.

• User profile image
    eagle

It's in South West Kerry, Eire.

I witnessed the photo being taken and often rode up that road on my bike with a laptop on my back.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

W3bbo wrote:
    IIRC, it was some place in California.

Yep, "just outside Napa" according to a Microsoft spokesperson
    http://s-r.com/local/story_txt.asp?date=022204&ID=s1490284

• User profile image
    eagle

All the Sample Photos included with Windows XP were taken around my village in Kerry.

Frog Design did the look of Windows XP, they also designed the Apple look.

To anyone who doesn't believe me, I'll take you there!

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

I love this topic.

I forwarded quite a few people to some of Eagle's past posts as he has such a good case.  And the terrain of south-west Ireland seems pretty similiar.

You can see the mountains just in the background of Bliss, if my guestimations from a few tidbits of info are right then these are across the Bay of Ballinskelligs and was taken somewhere south of Waterville.

Eagle indulge us please.Cool

I suppose to the ultimate way to find out would be to get a fund together and send out some expeditions.  I really think Ireland should be our first stop, then may be the Caribbean somewhere.Wink

• User profile image
    Karim

ricodued wrote:
    This has probably been asked a couple hundred times before, but I was wondering last night, Hey, I wonder where XP's default 'Bliss' background was taken... I only ask because I thought it would be neat to look it up on Virtual Earth or something.

Does anyone actually know where the picture was taken, or, probably more likely, is it not really an actual place, just a fabricated background?

It does look rather suspiciously like the planet of Naboo:

It's not such a bad thing to not know where it is, or even if it exists... after all, ignorance is bliss...

• User profile image
    blowdart

daSmirnov wrote:
    I love this topic.

I forwarded quite a few people to some of Eagle's past posts as he has such a good case.  And the terrain of south-west Ireland seems pretty similiar.

That's no saying much, the terrain of the north, around the Sperrins looks similiar as well Smiley

• User profile image
    eagle

daSmirnov wrote:
     Bay of Ballinskelligs

Where did you get that?  It's Ballinskelligs Bay and if you walked up that hill you would fall into water.

The photo was taken in Baslickane and I hope to be back there in the spring to snap another photo.

That sunset photo was taken at Raheen pier and if you study it you will see the same mountains that are in the bliss view.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

eagle wrote:
    Where did you get that?  It's Ballinskelligs Bay and if you walked up that hill you would fall into water.

The photo was taken in Baslickane and I hope to be back there in the spring to snap another photo.

That sunset photo was taken at Raheen pier and if you study it you will see the same mountains that are in the bliss view.

Probably got it from you in an earlier discussion and made some guestimates of my own. Tongue Out

So the camera is pointing in a westerly direction?

• User profile image
    eagle

Yes....it was taken in June 2000 a few weeks after the grass was cut for silage.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

eagle wrote:
    Yes....it was taken in June 2000 a few weeks after the grass was cut for silage.

The B.S.-o-meter is pointing to "John Titor"

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Wow, this should really be under techoff.

• User profile image
    dimmy

The photo was actually taken by Charles O’Rear in Sonoma County, California, 30 miles north of San Francisco.  However, after this photo was taken, this location had became a vineyard. Perhaps someone can locate this and take an after-photo for comparison. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cairo

eagle wrote:
    It's in South West Kerry, Eire. I witnessed the photo being taken and often rode up that road on my bike with a laptop on my back. All the Sample Photos included with Windows XP were taken around my village in Kerry.

dimmy wrote:
    The photo was actually taken by Charles O’Rear in Sonoma County, California, 30 miles north of San Francisco. 

Ha, ha.
                                                    /

The image “<a href=http://spinn.svt.se/images/s3-simp-muntz.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://spinn.svt.se/images/s3-simp-muntz.gif">

• User profile image
    Cairo
  • User profile image
    DrMavrick

I drive past this place for years and I was pretty sure it was here that they took the picture. It is now a vineyard and does not look the same. It is along Highway 121 between Sonoma and Napa. If  you google map this address 3032 Fremont Dr, Sonoma, CA, United States you can see it today by going to street view. the photo for street view is a foggy fall day but it is the same Bliss photo hill. It looks incredible when the leaves change color in the fall, but right now it does not look too special. Hope this helps.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.