Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

www.ie7.com - got to laugh at their cheek!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

Cheeky b*stards.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Crikey, IE8.com through IE14.com are all purchased.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Quick, snap up IE15!

Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

firefox2.com appears to be open Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

jonathanh wrote:
    Quick, snap up IE15!

Let's look at this objectivly.

Assuming a new release of IE every year, and a decline in IE development after IE8 is released... with another release-delay-catch-up-with-Gecko cycle, coupled with Microsoft's OS plans.... according to my calculations I doubt IE15 will even exist.

My predictions:
    • IE8 will be initially proposed as Vista-only
    • Public outcry and IE8 is backported to XP
    • Gecko passes ACID2, Opera soon follows suit with Opera 10
    • MS falls into an IE development slump after getting back to Firefox 0.8 days with 85% market penetration and resigns IE development to a skeleton crew for security updates and nothing more
    • A few months later, prompted by Firefox's XHTML2.0 support IE development is re-ignited...to get it to support XHTML2.0 and the more exotic parts of CSS3
    • In the meanwhile, the W3C ratifies CSS3.1 and initial proposes for CSS4.0 are made, additions include 3D rendering features and CSS-defined gradients
    • By 2009 Firefox is considered by many to be bloated and becomes the new Seamonkey, attempts are made to develop an even lighter version
    • Microsoft decides to end Internet Explorer as a separate product (as far as marketing goes) and declares it truely part of the Windows shell, the platform is renamed "Windows Web Platform" and the shell blurs the distinctions between the Web and the Local system even more, this leads to stagnation in the web-browser arena and it seems that IE's engine is incapable of being modified any further to support the key parts of CSS4's specification.
    • Microsoft buys out Opera for their Presto engine sometime in the early 2010s.
    Sounds reasonable, no?

• User profile image
    PeterH

irascian wrote:

I thought that there was some sort of law preventing this from happening. Ever since that guy bought http://www.itunes.co.uk...

Guess I was wrong.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Only if "IE7" is a trademark... which I doubt.

"Internet Explorer 7", perhaps.

• User profile image
    Cider

W3bbo wrote:
    A few months later, prompted by Firefox's XHTML2.0 support IE development is re-ignited...to get it to support XHTML2.0 and the more exotic parts of CSS3
    • In the meanwhile, the W3C ratifies CSS3.1 and initial proposes for CSS4.0 are made, additions include 3D rendering features and CSS-defined gradients

By which point, doing a "correct" page on the World Wide Web will be more complicated than writing assembly.

Will the last person on the Web please turn out the light as they leave?

By the way, www.ievii.com is available if Microsoft want to go the Roman Numeral route...

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

See, Microsoft should respond by buying some domain related to something and something something something.  Kind of lost my train of thought there.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

W3bbo wrote:
    jonathanh wrote: Quick, snap up IE15!

Let's look at this objectivly.

Assuming a new release of IE every year, and a decline in IE development after IE8 is released... with another release-delay-catch-up-with-Gecko cycle, coupled with Microsoft's OS plans.... according to my calculations I doubt IE15 will even exist.

My predictions:
    • IE8 will be initially proposed as Vista-only
    • Public outcry and IE8 is backported to XP
    • Gecko passes ACID2, Opera soon follows suit with Opera 10
    • MS falls into an IE development slump after getting back to Firefox 0.8 days with 85% market penetration and resigns IE development to a skeleton crew for security updates and nothing more
    • A few months later, prompted by Firefox's XHTML2.0 support IE development is re-ignited...to get it to support XHTML2.0 and the more exotic parts of CSS3
    • By 2009 Firefox is considered by many to be bloated and becomes the new Seamonkey, attempts are made to develop an even lighter version
    • Microsoft decides to end Internet Explorer as a separate product (as far as marketing goes) and declares it truely part of the Windows shell, the platform is renamed "Windows Web Platform" and the shell blurs the distinctions between the Web and the Local system even more, this leads to stagnation in the web-browser arena and it seems that IE's engine is incapable of being modified any further to support the key parts of CSS4's specification.
    • Microsoft buys out Opera for their Presto engine sometime in the early 2010s.
    Sounds reasonable, no?
    No, it doesn't sound reasonable at all. 

• User profile image
    littleguru

I guess mozilla people is fearing the new IE. Or at least the guy doing this web site.

• User profile image
    Andrei P

Once Vista is released, I believe Windows Internet Explorer usage will rise, Firefox will turn out like Netscape.

I'm having a bad experience with Firefox. I have to use it from time to time since I'm a web developer and I need to test my websites. The problems I'm having? It ocasionally crashes; sometimes it uses 90% of the CPU and I need to restart it; when I select text using the cursor it sometimes won't unselect; I can't scroll listboxes (dropdowns) using the mouse scroll; no smooth experience alltogether;

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Andrei P. wrote:
    I'm having a bad experience with Firefox. I have to use it from time to time since I'm a web developer and I need to test my websites. The problems I'm having? It ocasionally crashes; sometimes it uses 90% of the CPU and I need to restart it; when I select text using the cursor it sometimes won't unselect; I can't scroll listboxes (dropdowns) using the mouse scroll; no smooth experience alltogether;

You don't have to test websites in Firefox if you want to see how they look like with the Gecko engine, use something more lightweight if you so wish, like K-Meleon.

• User profile image
    blowdart

BruceMorgan wrote:
    No, it doesn't sound reasonable at all. 

True, no-one will decide on a new CSS and XHTML spec before 2009 anyway Big Smile

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.