Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What is your digital lifestyle?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I realize today that I am finally obsessed with technology. I had to rewire my entertainment center (due to my wife disconnecting it) and it took awhile. I have...

My 32" TV (not HDTV)
    My receiver, 5 disc DVD player, DVR, and VCR.
    My Computer running W2K3 server (about to install MCE2005) connected to the receiver and my B+G WiFi.
    VoIP I get through work (For Free Smiley)
    Two laptops (Wireless)
    and my Mac...

At the moment the only way I can control the server is by using VNC or Link2PC (Which is beyond my wife) and then it happened. My wife asked "How do I control the server using my laptop?" *sigh*

That being the case my brain instantly said "What more do I need?", I'm obviously not connected "enough". Out of all of this...and only having to sit on my couch and use my laptop I still need more...the ease of use isn't here.

So what do you have, use? What's your digital lifestyle?

• User profile image
    pwzeus

Hi,

hummm yeh i love to be all digitalized and techy but again money issue
    still so far i have managed to get my self

Dell Inspiron 6000
    Ipod Nano
    Sony power house 1600 wtt
    Nokia N-Gage Tongue Out

that is it...to stay more connected with my personal life i so need
    one good PDA...i see only that way i will be able to bring my office and home together...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

pwzeus wrote:
    Hi,

hummm yeh i love to be all digitalized and techy but again money issue
    still so far i have managed to get my self

Dell Inspiron 6000
    Ipod Nano
    Sony power house 1600 wtt
    Nokia N-Gage

that is it...to stay more connected with my personal life i so need
    one good PDA...i see only that way i will be able to bring my office and home together...

Yeah I forgot to add my iPod Nano as well to that list...though since I got my laptop it's sitting around doing nothing Sad

On the other hand I have a programmable alarm clock that my wife bought and programmed as well...So even my alarm clock runs some type of code...

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Computer and cd player.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Cybermagellan wrote:
    I realize today that I am finally obsessed with technology. I had to rewire my entertainment center (due to my wife disconnecting it) and it took awhile. I have...

Amateur Smiley

Upstairs:
       Lofwyr: Windows 2003 (File, Exchange, SQL, web, ftp and TeamSpeak server)
       Ghostwalker: Windows XP (my desktop)
       Rhonabwy: Windows XP (wife's desktop)
       Perianwyr: MCE 2005
       JasJar: My PDA
       Ryan Mercury: Toshiba e740 (wife's PDA)
       Rio Carbon 5Gb (mine)
       iRiver H10 6Gb (wife's)
       Crystal Xbox

Downstairs
       Dunkelzahn: MCE 2005 dual tuner
       Ryumyo: Windows XP (my laptop)
       Celedyr: Tablet 2005 (wife's tablet)
       Xbox360 Premium

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

* Inspiron 6000 Laptop
    * iPod Shuffle
    * PS2
    * Nintendo DS (I heard Nintendo licensed Palm software a while back; nothing's come of it yet, but MarioKart DS sure is fun...)

Closest thing to a PDA I have is a TI-83 and don't plan to get one anytime soon...  I guess I don't have the whole "Digital Lifestyle" thing going yet.

• User profile image
    andur

Cybermagellan wrote:

On the other hand I have a programmable alarm clock that my wife bought and programmed as well...So even my alarm clock runs some type of code...

Programmable alarm clock?¿? Suddenly I want one of those. What make and model is it, and where do you buy such a thing?¿?

• User profile image
    TimP

I've decided to only include computers since iPods and game consoles are a dime a dozen.

In the "server room":

Pentium III 800 MHz running CentOS 4.2 (runs my website and some other stuff)
    Pentium III 550 MHz running OS/2 Warp 4 Big Smile
    IBM RS/6000 7043-240 running AIX 5.1 (Unix workstation/server)
    DEC Alphastation 200 4/166 running OpenVMS 7.3 (workstation)
    Apple G3 (Blue and White) running OS X 10.3.9 (test box)
    Two IBM NetStation thin clients

Most of the hardware in this room I either got for free or under $75.

In my room:

Dual 3 GHz Xeon running Windows XP Pro (desktop)
    Athlon 64 3000+ running Ubuntu Linux (running intranet services and some other software I use)

Amusingly, this amounts to seven computers (thin clients don't really count) and seven different operating systems. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

TimP wrote:
    In the "server room":

Pentium III 550 MHz running OS/2 Warp 4

How?

• User profile image
    IRenderable

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    TimP wrote:In the "server room":

Pentium III 550 MHz running OS/2 Warp 4

How?

I can get those things and more from the dump in the take it or leave it pile area for free, garage sales for incredibly cheap ($25-$50), or from the middle school near my high school.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

andur wrote:

Programmable alarm clock?¿? Suddenly I want one of those. What make and model is it, and where do you buy such a thing?¿?

Ya, it's wierd because I can select different days of the week for it to go off at different times and multiple times (up to 5 which helps on those days of "Just 5 more minutes"), it tunes into different radio stations for the alarm (If not the standard WTFU tone) on different days of the week, stores the time/date on board (so if I plug it in it automatically resets to the correct data/time). And part of the initial setup of it, it ask for your time zone and sets the date/time up on it's own.

My wife bought it because it seemed pretty geeky and she knows me Smiley It's by Emerson Research. It's probably and undercover alarm clock from the goverment that's tapping my phone..."Oh well"

• User profile image
    TimP

The Pentium III 550 was picked up for free at a local university. It had no RAM or a hard drive, but I bought 128MB RAM and a 6.5 GB drive for around $10 combined on eBay. The RS/6000 was bought for $60 on eBay, the Alpha for $50 from a friend, and the thin clients for $5 and $20 a piece. Those prices don't include operating system costs, but they were generally reasonable.

• User profile image
    irascian

Does the one with the most toys win? I spend WAY too much on gadgets/digital toys and really ought to get help! "Obsessed" is too polite a word for it!

Study:
    Dell PowerEdge 4400 Dual Xeon Server (1GB memory) uses Sony TFT 1200x768 monitor. Rarely ysed because it sounds like a jet engine taking off when switched on.
    Build Your Own "ThermalTake" Power Workstation PC, Wacom Tablet (Photoshop and graphics) (2GB memory), calibrated 1600x1200 TFT monitor and 17" Trinitron CRT.
    Dell XPS T500 Dell "workhorse" Workstation PC (768MB memory) (uses afore-mentioned Sony TFT minitor)
    Sony Vaio "Tethered workhorse for latest RTM stuff" Laptop (1GB memory),
    Fujitsu Ultra-portable laptop (used as main laptop) (1GB memory)
    Apple Mini ("music server")
    "Build your own" PC from Pentium era (too lazy to dump it/find a home for it so acts as small table!)
    Denon mini hi-fi (mini-disc, analog radio, CD player)
    Phillips DVD player
    Portable DAT player (hangover from my days in the music industry)
    Sony "Portable" 14" TV
    Two ipods (one containing albums, one containing singles, no video ipod)
    Two pocket PC phones (old O2 model kept for .Net "experimentation" and O2 XDA IIs which travels around with me)
    "Lord of the RIngs" pinball machine Smiley
    Canon EOS 1Ds digital camera, two flashes, five lenses, 6 1GB flash cards

Hallway cupboard
    Sony Aibo Robot Dog (hardly used - the ONLY purchasing decision I REALLY regret)
    Sony "portable" DVD player (hardly used over last few years- purchased when I was commuting to Germany every week)

Lounge
    Toshiba Tecra 8200 "beta products/imdb" laptop (512MB memory)
    50" Pioneer plasma
    Two digital video recorders, Toshiba top-of-the-range DVD player, Pure digital radio, Yamaha DSP-A1 DTS amplifier, B&W speakers x 5, Apple wireless AirTunes connection to mini in Study
    Stacks of DVDs that spill out into hallway (1700 in total - I spend way too much on DVDs!)
    Dalek full-size replica and these suckers are BIG! (made from original moulds, complete with digital speech synthesis with six phrases controlled via infra-red remote control)

Bedroom
    Phillips 36" TV
    Phillips VHS Recorder
    Technics DVD player
    Sony mini hi-fi (mini-disc, analog radio, CD player)

Car Park
    BMW Mini Coopers S with GPS and every "add on" I could get 

• User profile image
    Angus

I have a slow PC in the study to use for just simple tasks, basically I use it for testing, so nothing much. I have a PC in the bedroom that is my main machine, fairly good specification, but needs a bit of an upgrade. I am hopefully getting a Media Centre in the lounge in the next year, but currently I have an Advent 7001 laptop there that I use to go on the internet if I need to watch TV. The house has 2 PDAs, one with WiFi; I don't use it much; the other is a PalmOne Tungsten E that is used for reading on, or sometimes listening to tracks. I have a Creative Zen Micro in white for listening to music. Also, I have several home-bult sound systems that can fit into bags for outings such as going on a school trip; bringing a sound system is always a good way to pass the time. I have a computer that me and a friend built into a wooden bed-side table; it is not used at all as the specifications are bad and the work quality of the modification is less than desirable. I will hopefully get a new low-specification machine that I can use for one of several projects in the future if all goes well. There are, I believe, 3 HP Photosmart printers around the house; one in the bedroom and two in the study. I suppose consoles can count although not used very much; there is a PS2 and an XBox in the playroom/games room; the PS2 was used a lot in the past, but the XBox was bought to play Halo several weeks ago, after about 8 hours my friend and I got bored and I have only turned the XBox on briefly since. Also there is a portable DVD player somewhere; I believe in my bedroom, but I could be wrong. The TVs leave a lot to be desired, but hopefully when the Media Centre is purchased we will upgrade them. There are a few cell phones and digital cameras around the house. That's about it.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    jenns

Nothing to boast about here.

2 Win Xp desktops (1GB and 512KB respectively) and a Win 98 one Perplexed (yeah, some people I live with have some issues letting go of the ancient computer from 1999... *eyeroll*)

2 iPods (nano- 40 GB and shuffle- 1GB)

1 dvd/vcr player

1 37" HDTV

Like I said, not much. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Karim

Admiral Motti: Me?  Why, I've got the ultimate power in the universe.  Which you might have seen recently on MTV's Pimp My Battlestation or, if the planet Alderaan was your home, appearing curiously above your head prior to your rather sudden death.

Oh and I also have a Blackberry.

HAL 9000: I have a network of approximately 37 quadrillion logic gates.

Also, I am capable of autonomously operating EVA pods.  The pods are quite amazing devices.  They have waldos with upper and lower arms exhibiting thirteen degrees of freedom.   Each actuator is conservatively rated to provide 66.3 kilonewtons of force, which is more than sufficient to crush a Nanovar-reinforced space helmet, or even a human skull.

Not that I've ever thought about doing that.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Karim wrote:

Hey, where did you find a picture of my thermostat?!

Oh wait... Expressionless

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm fairly digitised, although I'm not proud that my systems run Windows, but it's the easiest (albiet, not the cheapest) solution.

My life mainly revolves around my workstation, which is that big blue box some of you may have seen.

My TabletPC, PDA, and Smartphone (All running Windows) synchronise with my Exchange server for email, contacts, tasks, and calendar.

...that's as far as the rabbit hole goes.

I'm not keen on the "digital living room" since that introduces DRM, combined with that I hate Windows Media Player 10 and I'm not happy with Windows Streaming Media either (active scrubbers please, but noooooo).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.