Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Help me out here......need guidance

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    pwzeus

Hi guys,
    I was trying to implement client script call back in one of my application....few days ago i read that you have to implement
    ICallbackEventHandler interface to achieve this...now after few days this interface is no longer in page class...now its in page.clientscript....long story short....this is just one small thing but as lots of new different technologies coming up everyday
    how do u keep it up with these changes?
    I mean this may sound childish but i m junior and i am totally overwhelmed with all this different technologies like i cant focus at 1 place.....asp.net , c# , xml , sql server....how do u learn all.

I want to know how do you guys manage your daily life? read blogs , forums , articles , news ? I am working full time as asp.net developer and by the time i go home I have no time left for my extra studies....help me out here. Perplexed

• User profile image
    billh

pwzeus wrote:

Hi guys,
    I was trying to implement client script call back in one of my application....few days ago i read that you have to implement ICallbackEventHandler interface to achieve this...now after few days this interface is no longer in page class...now its in page.clientscript....long story short....this is just one small thing but as lots of new different technologies coming up everyday
    how do u keep it up with these changes?

You lost me here.  Did the interface move to a different library?

pwzeus wrote:
    I mean this may sound childish but i m junior and i am totally overwhelmed with all this different technologies like i cant focus at 1 place.....asp.net , c# , xml , sql server....how do u learn all.

Don't try to learn it all at once.  I don't think anybody in their right mind can keep up with all that is taking place. 

pwzeus wrote:
    I want to know how do you guys manage your daily life? read blogs , forums , articles , news ? I am working full time as asp.net developer and by the time i go home I have no time left for my extra studies....help me out here.

Many years ago I tried to learn C.  Then I tried to learn C++.  I surrounded myself with books.  I read articles.  I read blogs.  I read blog articles.  I read news.  I tried reading books.  I tried falling asleep in the books to see if I could anything by osmosis. I even tried beating my head against the books in an effort to learn.

Then one day I just shoved all the books, articles, and news clippings into a closet and walked away. A year later, I slowly came to the realization that there is an excess of crappy tutorials out there.  It wasn't me.  Years before, I picked up assembly language without a lot of trouble.  I learned Pascal.  I learned a few different flavors of BASIC.  C and C++ were not all that hard (now that I look back)...they were just poorly explained. It didn't help that I had crappy tools to work with either.

What I'm trying to say is...it may not be you at all.  Also, an abundance of developers you may work with could also be bluffing their way through.

P.S. XML is nothing but a bunch of made up tags around content.  Schemas...meh.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I've just spent the last month reading a book on UML.  I've used the method of reading in private with nobody to bother me while I do it.  I can only get through a few pages, but each day I learn a little bit more.

I'd suggest you take the same tactic.  Pick a subject (any subject) and read a little bit every day somewhere that you won't be bothered.

p.s. The throne room can be very useful for this.

• User profile image
    pwzeus

Hi
    thanks for the advise both of you , by the way what is The throne room?

Here is the problem I started learning c# and then asp.net right...but now i feel like i must learn .net framework in and out in order to understand c# or asp.net....its just to overwhalming for me....tried to read books but then only teach you basic stuff...and they are so big you just fall a sleep....i thought may be i m doing something wrong , may be there are other technies which i can learn to grasp understanding of these technologies.

• User profile image
    JPeless

pwzeus wrote:
    Hi
    thanks for the advise both of you , by the way what is The throne room?

The bathroom (i.e. porcelain throne).  It is a euphemism.  I read there all the time, whether it is a National Geographic, Reader's Digest or Code Complete.

• User profile image
    cmcmsf

Welcome to the world of "too much information".  I struggle with this almost every waking moment.  I'm convinced of the following (it doesn't mean I'm successful at following through with this advice all the time):

1) Reading and not "doing" will only ever get you a very superficial understanding of any technology, no matter how much you read.

2) Trying to learn everything (and, man, do I understand the desire for this) is a virtual impossibility.

3) There is no human way to become an expert in everything these days.  Way too much technology.  Focus on one topic at a time, pick a book, magazine article, website article to start with, and do all the examples -- even if it's just typing in the printed samples.  It will force you to think about what you are typing in.

4) Although you should focus on one topic at a time if you want to become an expert in it, get a tutorial book on the basics.  I have made the mistake way too often of trying to dive into an advanced topic well before I could even hope to understand it, simply because I did not understand its prerequisites.  It's a product of impatience.

5) It's easy to get overwhelmed when you think there's so much to learn, so little time, and you think the rest of the people in your field are passing you by.  I've come to realize that the established experts have focused on this stuff for a very long time, but the vast majority of people are in the same boat as us.  They just don't admit it, or they appear to know so much more when, in fact, they are very knowledgable in just a limited number of topics.  Don't worry -- even if you feel it will take you a year to learn a lot of this stuff well, there will always be a need for your "next year's" knowledge.

6) As others have implied here, and on other threads, focus is a key.  You need a quiet "alone" place to read, and a quiet "alone" place to experiment on the computer.  No distractions and total commitment.  Also, fully expect frustration at times.  And Google.com is your friend.

I literally have over 100 .NET books.  I'm a book addict, and almost all of them have bookmarks within the first 50 to 100 pages.  My mistake.  I should have focused on the basics, first, with maybe 2 or 3 books, then zoomed in on one or two technologies at a time (say, Web Services and ADO).

Good luck.

- Mark

• User profile image
    billh

cmcmsf wrote:
    I literally have over 100 .NET books.  I'm a book addict, and almost all of them have bookmarks within the first 50 to 100 pages.  My mistake.  I should have focused on the basics, first, with maybe 2 or 3 books, then zoomed in on one or two technologies at a time (say, Web Services and ADO).

Easy there, you are going to scare him off (along with most of the rest of us). lol

Have you actually read many or most of those books? The next question: good grief, why!?!? I read 60+ books last year, but that was because I was in an empty house with no distractions.  Not one of them was a programming book, either.

• User profile image
    cmcmsf

When I counted recently, I scared myself Wink

Nope -- that was the problem.  I'd get through about 50 to 100 pages, then move on to something else because of a) boredom, b) guilt of not reading the other books, c) lack of focus, d) change of course because I got to something in one book that I didn't understand, and had to start learning about that in another book.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

cmcmsf: cheers for your advice.

I move onto other books for the same reason as you.

I really need focus more.

<rant>Plus I don't have any quiet time - my gf is constantly with me, she won't leave me alone so I have to read while she is watching TV, and she always complains when I play on my PC.  Frustrating!!</rant>

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.