Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Macheads and Linux folk on Channel 9

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lenn

I have seen quite a few Safari and Firefox folks in the logs lately and I have exchanged posts with a few of you. How many Channel 9'ers spend their day or night on a non-Windows machine? If so what?

• User profile image
    billy

I use a PowerMac running OSX (Jaguar) and love it. I'll admit that the primary reason has less to do with the coolness and useability (though I find the stability quite enjoyable) and more to do with just being different... new to me. After spending all day using Win2K3 (all *nix work is done remotely from my windows box), I enjoy coming home and seeing a different face........................................................ I do however maintain a Windows server stuck off in a rack that I piddle with here and there, as well as a FreeBSD and Linux box. My wife runs XP Pro and my son XP Home........................................................

• User profile image
    Jeremy W

I'm basically a Windows man myself. You'll get Firefox complaints from me mainly because IE won't work for me at work (don't ask, long imaging story).

• User profile image
    Beredon

I'm Windows for most of my day, but I don't go near IE; Opera all the way! I dabble with some Linux development (Red Hat), but thats a rare occurence nowadays.

• User profile image
    cageyjames

I'm a big Machead, but I'm stuck on an older G4 at home (the wife won't release funds for a new G5 yet).  I spend most of my nights on my Mac unless I'm wireless like I am right now on my work laptop.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

I'm using windows but FireFox is my default browser.

• User profile image
    submariner

As I've said... I'm using either a !GHz eMac with Safari, or my 600MHz iBook with Safari. Still wish I could get some line breaks, but I'll wait... paitently...

• User profile image
    nxg125

I use Windows 2000 and OS X (Panther) at work, and Linux (currently Fedora Core 2-test2) at home so I have some experience with everything.  I do use Firefox on all 3 platforms though... so nice to use the same browser everywhere!  If I had my pick I would go with Linux hands down.

--Nick

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

lenn wrote:
    I have seen quite a few Safari and Firefox folks in the logs lately and I have exchanged posts with a few of you. How many Channel 9'ers spend their day or night on a non-Windows machine? If so what?

I use Windows and while sometimes I use Firefox as my web browser, I normally use even through it doesn't mean my needs (e.g. standards support, tabbed browsing, and so on).

• User profile image
    warren

My time is split more or less evenly between my iBook G4 (which is a great little portable machine), and my Windows machines. 

I'll be using Mozilla to hit up Channel 9 most of the time, since it's my default browser for everything else.  I'll happily go back to Internet Explorer when Microsoft starts showing a real commitment to that product again. 

• User profile image
    Simon

I use Firefox on Windows because that's what I prefer, mainly because it's been actively developed. I do experiment with Linux/BSD but I'm really a Windows user.

• User profile image
    dalangalma

I primarily use a WindowsXP box with Firefox to do web browsing, but in combination with my doorstp (I mean, old G3 iMac I fished out of the trash), I could probably put hits from about 40 different browsers on here. I like to know what my sites will look like to anyone Smiley. Here, have an iCab hit.

• User profile image
    Hamled

As with most of the people responding here, I use Windows and have Firefox as my browser. Although I do switch to IE when I want to view the videos. I haven't said anything about it as it's not much of a problem for me, and other people are giving information on their problems viewing the movies in Firefox.

• User profile image
    FrankCarr

I use Firefox most of the time under Windows XP although some sites, like this one, I usually browse with IE6 because Angel there is no dangerous content either in the local HTML/Javascript and there are no served ads, (b) the site isn't W3C compliant and doesn't render quite right in Firefox.  

• User profile image
    lenn

Just an FYI to all. We have made several tweaks to the site to make sure it renders better in FireFox, Safari, and other browsers. Right now the biggest issue we have is with the media player. There are problems on Mac, Windows, and Linux that we are looking into. We have been a little overwhelmed with the response to the site, and since the team really only has 2 devs, they have been slammed working on fixes. We should make more progress on Monday. I will keep you posted.

• User profile image
    lenn

So I have been browsing Channel 9 on 0.8 all day today on the PC and the Mac.  So far it seems to me like a good user experience on the PC, equal to the IE experience once you download the video controls on the homepage.  I am not seeing anything particular that stands out on the PC.  On the Mac, ithe same video control issue is there that happens with Safari. 

Are there particular issues that you guys are seeing on Windows, Linux, or Mac that I am finding?  Please share if so, that way we can log the bugs. 

• User profile image
    Gambit

I have Firefox and Mozilla installed on my Windows machines. I'll usually use them when tabbed browsing is a benefit, like going through the MSDN library.

• User profile image
    machocomacho

I use firefox on windows merely for the fact that it has many features that IE doesn't have, when IE incorporates these features(tabbed browsing, Download manager, ActiveX controls, Cookie Manager,Open source) I will gladly switch back

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.