Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Implanted MicroChips In Hi Level Employees & Consumers - Will This become Common Next Decade?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

    Cincinnati video surveillance company CityWatcher.com now requires employees to use VeriChip human implantable microchips to enter a secure data center, Network Administrator Khary Williams told Liz McIntyre by phone yesterday. McIntyre, co-author of "Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID," contacted CityWatcher after it announced it had integrated the VeriChip VeriGuard product into its access control system
    http://www.spychips.com/press-releases/us-employees-verichipped.html



    The chip's security issues may spell trouble for those who have had one of the microchips embedded in their flesh. These include eighteen employees in the Mexican Attorney General's office who use an implanted chip to enter a sensitive records room, and a handful bar patrons in Europe who use the injected chips to pay for drinks. "What are these people going to do now that their chips can be cloned?" says McIntyre. "Wear tinfoil shirts or keep everyone at arm's length?"
    http://www.spychips.com/press-releases/verichip-hacked.html

  • User profile image
    David7738

    a ! wrote:

    Cincinnati video surveillance company CityWatcher.com now requires employees to use VeriChip human implantable microchips to enter a secure data center, Network Administrator Khary Williams told Liz McIntyre by phone yesterday. McIntyre, co-author of "Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID," contacted CityWatcher after it announced it had integrated the VeriChip VeriGuard product into its access control system
    http://www.spychips.com/press-releases/us-employees-verichipped.html



    The chip's security issues may spell trouble for those who have had one of the microchips embedded in their flesh. These include eighteen employees in the Mexican Attorney General's office who use an implanted chip to enter a sensitive records room, and a handful bar patrons in Europe who use the injected chips to pay for drinks. "What are these people going to do now that their chips can be cloned?" says McIntyre. "Wear tinfoil shirts or keep everyone at arm's length?"
    http://www.spychips.com/press-releases/verichip-hacked.html



    Go back to /. and read the comments on this.. Nothing verifyable from Citywatcher.com and it was published by an ANTI-RFID group..

  • User profile image
    billh

    David7738 wrote:
    Go back to /. and read the comments on this.. Nothing verifyable from Citywatcher.com and it was published by an ANTI-RFID group..


    It's possible.

    Chipping Chickens

    A Real Life Catalog of People

    Then again I suppose you're okay with all that even though you know full well such a chip is hardly secure.  Anybody who is halfway familiar with security/encryption/algorithms knows that.

    And what if the thing stops working while it is under your skin?

  • User profile image
    a !

    http://news.ft.com/cms/s/ec414700-9bf4-11da-8baa-0000779e2340.html

    CityWatcher.com, a private video surveillance company, said it was testing the technology as a way of controlling access to a room where it holds security video footage for government agencies and the police.


    VeriChip – the US company that made the devices and claims to have the only chips that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration – said the implants were designed primarily for medical purposes.

    So far around 70 people in the US have had the implants, the company said

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Regardless if true or not; I'd quit before I let any company put something under my skin.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Manip wrote:
    Regardless if true or not; I'd quit before I let any company put something under my skin.


    They're not allowed to anyway, some of the /. comments reference a 1989 trial between Detroit and a Mr. Murphy, the outcome was that no employer can force you to have bodily modifications in order to continue employment.

  • User profile image
    a !
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Still going a little too far...  if you're going to implant RFID chips, why not just use biometrics?  Fingerprints can't be duplicated anywhere near as easily as the chip signals can.

  • User profile image
    billh

    Oddly enough, I once had a colleague twelve or thirteen years ago who thought this was a "cool idea" and announced it loudly to everyone in the room with me at the time as she passed by a door frame.

    The entire room remained completely silent for quite some time after that comment.

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    Why just in Emloyees/Consumers? and not in all humans. Just imagine... monitoring all critical params, increasing healt.

  • User profile image
    billh

    The Things You "Chip" For Love

    CTV wrote:
    Grand gestures of love take many forms on Valentine's Day -- flowers, chocolate, romantic dinners -- but a tech-savvy couple has taken it to a new level.

    Jennifer Tomblin and Amal Graafstra have made the most modern declaration of their affection for each other, with implanted electronic chips that allow them unfettered access to each other's lives.

    The couple sees the decision as a  modern declaration of love that also happens to be functional.

    "It's convenient and all of that. But it's definitely neat to have access to each other's things. nobody else has that, definitely," Tomblin told CTV's Canada AM.



  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    They're just like belly/lower back tattoos on previously 'hot' coeds.  After a few years, you'll look silly and you still have a scar to remind you of it every day.

    Of course, nano-tagging will supercede this process...

  • User profile image
    lars

    Perhaps at gunpoint. The only way to make it stay in my arm however is to pull the trigger.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.