Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Site Saving Software Sought

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I'm trying to save some internal docs that reside in a directory that I don't have dir rights to to some folders so I can read them later, however things like our users guide and dev docs are huge (1000+ pages). So I can't very well just File>Save>etc for each page.

Is there a piece of software that will allow me to save each page in a directory? Maybe to a complete URL? so say for instance

http://test.test.com has 500 pages and they're all in that directory that I can just set the URL click on save and it do a For,Next loop. so it saves every file in that directory? If not this might be my first undertaking Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cairo

You could use "wget" or "curl" to mirror a website.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

If it's all links in an HTML page (or an HTML directory listing), there's DownThemAll (a firefox extension), which gives you a list of all the links of the page, allows you to filter them or check/uncheck them, and then downloads all the files you specified.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Is there a piece of software that will allow me to save each page in a directory? Maybe to a complete URL? so say for instance

Lots of programs like that around. Run a search for "site mirroring" or "offline browsers" for a few.
    I usually use WinHTTrack when I need to grab a whole site, or for more specific uses (like ClearQuest's awful web reports, often spanning dozens of pages for no good reason and without any way to download them all together)

• User profile image
    z33driver

Just make sure that using such software and extracting the data off the company's servers doesn't violate your company's acceptable use policy even though it seems innocuous to you.  They might have it set up that way for a reason (policy).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.