Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Defender Beta 2 32bit and 64bit released!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&DisplayLang=en

They actually suported x64! That is insane. This product feels so fast and nice!

Screenshots

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Not coming in through MS Antispyware update yet...

• User profile image
    Manip

OMG 64bit! .... Wait... I only have a sucky old 32bit processor.... Oh well... All you lucky people with a 64 bit CPU, let us know how well it works. Smiley

I read though the page (haven't downloaded yet); how does Defender fit into the One-Care and Microsoft Anti-Spyware suite?

• User profile image
    intelman

They had plans for integration. But OneCare does not support x64, which I think is crap. Oh well, at least I have antispyware which I think is more important anyways. In a Microsoft chat, they were talking about how Windows Defender runs as a service now, so that it has system priviledges which aids in removal of bad stuff, or preventing it. The small footprint on this release is really crazy!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

That icon brings me back to my Windows 3.1 days...  (edit:  the 16x16 one that shows up in the title bar and on the tray, not the full resolution one).

• User profile image
    Manip

I removed Microsoft Anti-Spyware and downloaded Windows Defender (I love that name by the way!).

First impressions: Good. The small download size, the clean UI, the installer, everything.

It warned me about out-of-date definitions. Very nice. And updated extremely quickly.

The settings are easy to navigate, in fact the entire application at that. The back/forward will take some getting used to (I am not used to it for non-browsers).

I was looking for a way to disable the system tray icon but quickly noticed it didn't have one (excellent!).

This software monitors real-time activity, correct? The daily scans are just for that extra protection.

If anyone from the team stops by, can I ask you something. Does Windows Defender support anything like this?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Manip wrote:

I removed Microsoft Anti-Spyware and downloaded Windows Defender (I love that name by the way!).

First impressions: Good. The small download size, the clean UI, the installer, everything.

It warned me about out-of-date definitions. Very nice. And updated extremely quickly.

The settings are easy to navigate, in fact the entire application at that. The back/forward will take some getting used to (I am not used to it for non-browsers).

I was looking for a way to disable the system tray icon but quickly noticed it didn't have one (excellent!).

This software monitors real-time activity, correct? The daily scans are just for that extra protection.

If anyone from the team stops by, can I ask you something. Does Windows Defender support anything like this?

Didn't even have to remove Beta 1 first...  installed w/o restarting and updated itself automatically on the first run.  I'm scanning right now, so I haven't had the chance to look through the prefs.  I'll check the real-time scanning-- running a batch file should do if it's the same as previous versions....

[edit] It doesn't give the batch file warning anymore (probably b/c it was useless anyways), but it does still have real-time protection.

[edit2] The program "User Interface" is trying to access the internet...  why isn't the program called "Windows Defender" so you can tell what it is??

• User profile image
    intelman

I'm curious, does Windows Defender have a tray icon for you? Mine doesn't seem to have one!

• User profile image
    blowdart

intelman wrote:
    I'm curious, does Windows Defender have a tray icon for you? Mine doesn't seem to have one!

It had one when it was updating signatures, but after that, no.

• User profile image
    Stephen

I wish EVERY installation was as smooth as this...Big Smile No Restart, No Uninstall of Beta1

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.