Coffeehouse Thread

3 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

AppCompat different in XP Home vs. XP Pro?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

I've been reading threads on PCnC's forums that stipulate that some games run better (under AppCompat) under XP Pro, rather than XP Home.

I assured the complaintant that XP Pro uses the same kernel as XP Home, they're just different "distributions" and still contain the same 'core' functionality.

However, they persist, I reminded them that XP Home users tend to be less literate and that OEM-preconfigured settings or some non-literate user might have changed something, but that didn't stop them.

Our resident tech-head popped in and suggested that XP Pro's TCP/IP stack might be "slightly different" than XP Homes. I haven't heard about this before.

Here's the thread.

Can someone tell us (esp. someone from MS) tell us if this is true or not?

• User profile image
    cheong

W3bbo wrote:

Our resident tech-head popped in and suggested that XP Pro's TCP/IP stack might be "slightly different" than XP Homes. I haven't heard about this before.

Here's the thread.

Can someone tell us (esp. someone from MS) tell us if this is true or not?

I think I've seen the thread talking about IPX/SPX stack difference, not about TCP/IP.

(FYI: IPX/SPX is a rather old protocol that serves at the age of NT4 and Novell server, which have better transfer rate in stable LAN environment because of it's bigger content/head ratio.)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    z33driver

I think the TCP/IP thing you are thinking of is the connection throttling change that came through in Service Pack 2.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.